1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To People Who Want Morey Gone, I Implore You To Reconsider

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, May 8, 2016.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Don't fire Morey. This a learning lesson.

Too many are quick to fire. Clearly, he's a smart guy..be can learn from his mistakes. I rather do that than hire a dud.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

There is a correlation between arrogance and stubborness that can't be fixed.

3. seeingred

seeingred Member

i know it's a broken record, but i feel if we're going to judge ourselves against the rest of the league, we have to take into account that we were forbidden to tank by our owner. Of the 16 teams in the playoffs, how many of them received their best player (or players) by drafting in the Top 10 ? Top 5 ? The Spurs are the only team that come to mind with Kawhi and Aldridge but of course they were in a position to sign those FA's because of the Tim Duncan Tank.

The great regular season record is a big part of why the post season record is so mediocre. Also, when is Part 4 coming out ?

thanks.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OP, I do not think we as fans have the final say in this outcome or any say at all

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

I actually think CD was a much better GM than Morey. Once CD retired, we still had core in Yao Ming to build around. What about Morey? I do not think Harden is someone you can build around, let alone he was traded in. There was a reason that Thunders decided not to keep him there.

6. SeabrookMiglla

morey is a smart guy and a damn good GM and he has always moved this team forward (except for this season which really wasnt his fault)

people have always been morey haters but he got dealt the tail end of the yao tmac era, and brought us harden howard out of thin air without having to tank multiple seasons.... thats pretty impressive...

7. houtown

houtown Member

I still Jeremy Lamb can possibly become a great player, I do not know why teams do not play him more often on the court.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As stated before, what has he done to deserve a longer ride. Personally, I don't care for the philosophy upon which he tries to build a team. The fact non of his drafted players have signed extension says a couple of things. Either they weren't good enough to extend or you traded /let them go before they matured. Both cases point at the guy who drafted them.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

or the guy who does not want to pay for the maturing players

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The real problem is Les. The man has no patience for building a contender. Everything with him is instant gratification. It doesn't help that he was handed a title team on a silver platter in his first year as owner(and a second one the following year aside from the Drexler deal which he ok'd).

But since his first two years owning the team, look at what he's done to try to remain competitive. Trade for Barkley, then trade for Pippen, then trade for Francis, then trade 3 first rounders for Eddie Griffin, then trade Francis and Mobley for T-Mac, then trade Rudy Gay for Shane Battier, then trade for Ron Artest, then try to trade for Dwight, then trade for Harden, then sign Dwight, then try to sign Bosh or Melo, and now this entire offseason's plan hinges around signing Durant, Horford, and/or Conley.

Notice a pattern here? He never wants to build through the draft over a period of several years. Everything is about buying talent or flipping role players for a superstar. Yes, the former approach worked for the Heat and the latter for the Celtics recently, but that is a foolish way to run an NBA franchise. Especially when you take into account that the entire reason the Celtics were in position to acquire KG and Allen was because Ainge was willing to stink up the joint for a few years and stockpile picks and assets. The Rockets have nothing to offer anyone right now other than money which won't be enough with the cap scheduled to skyrocket this summer.

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

:cool:

12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

No coaching decision means Durant is sure fire coming to Houston?

13. SemisolidSnake

I saw this coming. I didn't expect it to be this bad this year, but I recognized last year as a fluke while it was going on, and I think my post history indicates that. We were winning games last year, because Harden didn't get injured and had a phenomenal season (for which he should have been named MVP if that term actually meant most "valuable"), and teams were underestimating us because of all our injuries and just in general. We snuck under the radar for nearly the entire season. Teams only started doubling Harden towards the very end and in the playoffs. If they'd done that the whole year, we'd have been dead in the water.

However, it was a bubble. All the fundamental problems that burst bubbles were still there. Enormously heavy three-point-shooting team with average-to-below-average 3PT%. No real plays; still just lots of threes and Harden ISO. No consistency with who was going to step up each night, except with Harden. Free throws...enough said. No inside game; our main scorer had to bulldoze his way from the three-point line to the basket for us to score. If he didn't get foul calls, we likely lost.

A combination of teams underestimating us, new team members randomly stepping up when the rest of the team was flagging, and Harden staying healthy took us to the WCF. By then, teams finally started saying, "Okay, let's shut these guys down."

I wanted-to-believe that Lawson would come in and change the dynamic, so that we had a more-controlled offense with an actual point guard, but really, I already knew that Harden wouldn't let the ball out of his hands enough for that to happen and that our coaching staff had ZERO idea how to rebuild a team around a non-Harden ball-handler. And then Lawson turned out to be a bust on his own.

So, no, not everyone was expecting us to do well this year. I didn't expect WCF again. Other teams also get better, and I figured they would now have our number, as well. I figured that we would not have realized that that we needed more structure and effort than last year. I failed to realize how much we'd crater, though.

The WCF season needs to be season as what it was: a bubble or a fluke. Just like the Astros' World Series appearance. Boy, did that bubble burst this season. I hate to be completely cynical, but like the Astros, I think we're in for a decade of disappointment.

That is unless we get the RIGHT coach, not just a serviceable one that serves as a puppet for the GM. Poor coaching, just like with the Astros after Larry Dierker, will be our downfall.

14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Exactly.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Man that texans run to the the AFC championship was great!

Almost as good as those two seasons when we were the worst team in the league!

16. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Regular Season win% (10 years):
    Rick Smith: 79 wins/81 losses = .493
    Daryl Morey: 475 wins/323 losses = .595

Playoff Appearances:
    Rick Smith: 3
    Daryl Morey: 7

Playoff win%:
    Rick Smith: 2 wins/3Losses = .400
    Daryl Morey: 27 wins/34 losses = .443

So how has Rick Smith been a better GM than Morey??

With CD as GM, near max contracts were handed out like candy (see Matt Malony, Mo Taylor, Moochie Norris, Kelvin Cato, Stro Swift, etc.) Unfortunately for Morey, he took over a team that had majority of their cap space tied up by injured All-Star players (Yao/Mac).

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who cares what people here think? It is Le$ that will make the call.

DD

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So he told morey to let parsons and dragic walk?

19. caneks

caneks Rookie

How about putting Morey under the coach on power?
    GM should not be above coach, especially for those GMs without NBA experience as a player or coach.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sorry man, people around here don 't let things such as facts ruin their agendas. Look at DD, still pining for Parsons and calling for DMo to be maxed.