1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend or not to extend DMo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Oct 20, 2015.

?

What extension would you offer DMo?

1. None, let him go through RFA next summer

47 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. 4-50

29 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. 4-60

38 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. 4-70

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. 4-max(~85)

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 5-60

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. 5-70

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. 5-80

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  9. 5-90

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 5-max(~115)

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. basketballholic

The extension deadline is coming up on November 2. So far, any information regarding extensions talks with DMo and Terrence has been impossible to come by.

I just read a piece on Andre Drummond how that Detroit and Drummond have basically agreed on a 5-year max deal but they aren't signing it because they are going to ride his qualifying offer on the cap next summer in hopes of luring another big name free agent to Detroit before they re-sign Drummond, ala the Spurs and Kawhi this last off season.

With that in mind, what approach would you take with DMo regarding an extension? He's injured of course. And there could be an opportunity to sign him to a lower than max extension if he wants security. By the same token it could turn into a terrible move if he has chronic back problems and misses a ton of games every year. Also by the same token, if he doesn't sign an extension and he performs very well this season (37+% on 3 pointers, plus good defense to go along with his already established post game) then we could very well be looking to match a 4-year max contract in the neighborhood of $85 million with a starting salary of around $20 million next year. That's more money than DeMarcus makes. Not to mention if we get him to sign an extension now that's that much less cap space we have for next off season and the more salary we'd have to clear in the event Durant or another premier free agent wanted to come here.

However if we locked him up for say, 5-80 (~TT's offer), then he could be on the books for around $16 million a season going forward. And what if he'd agree to a 5-60 or 5-70 deal (I have my doubts he would)?

If you were Morey, what approach do you take? Discuss an extension and see if you can get him cheap while simultaneously testing his trade value around the league with the agreed to extension and go ahead and sign an extension if the money is right and you know you can move him?

or

Not sign an extension and deal with his contract next offseason with a qualifying offer in place if you don't trade him during this coming season?

To go along with that....if you were going to extend DMo, what would be your max extension offer?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can't extend him right now. Too risky.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I say wait. That's a lot of money for a guy that still has a lot of question marks hanging going into this season.

4. basketballholic

What if he agreed to an extension starting at $10 million salary next season? Would you extend him at that price?

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

If he agrees to 10M then his agent is ****.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would do that in a heartbeat, but something tells me an extension will cost us more than that.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would get down on my hands and knees to let him extend.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

we can't offer 5 years extension right? since every team and only do it once and we did it for harden

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

You postpone making the decision until the very list min to see how his back is holding up.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets would extend him in a heartbeat if he'd agree to it, but he won't. There's more money in it for him if he waits till next year.

11. Handles

Handles Member

I'd go with RFA

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah, with salaries being what they are these days I'd say that's a solid/fair contract. I wouldn't imagine he'd be willing to take that though. Depends on how much he's willing to bet on himself. That said, his value could swing wildly in either direction depending on what type of season he has this year. A bird in the hand...

13. basketballholic

Yes, pretty sure that's true. So that limits the options to 4-year extensions vs. no extension. Sorry about that. Forgot Harden's deal. Good catch. rep'd.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Last RFA Morey signed "ahead of time"?

Lowry? Cavs made offer.
    Parsons? They made him a RFA, Mavs made offer.
    Landry? Horncats made offer.
    Lee? Rescinded QO making him UFA, later S&T to Boston.
    Re-signed Scola, Daniels, Beverley & McDaniels back in FA.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

4/60? In a heartbeat. I suspect he'll wind up at 4/80.

My 'hope' for TJo is I'm wrong about him or he goes in an SnT in July; or just nada. But, DMo? I'm in, maybe all in.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is probably getting max. It seems like everyone else is.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Player for player, who do you prefer: DMo or TT? DMo or Harrison Barnes?

I'd take DMo and that might mean "I'd" have to pay. So, extend now and try to get him to back-into 4/60.

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

He needs to show he can have a healthy season, but 4/60 for sure

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just a fundamental ignorance at how the Rockets do business.

#19 larsv8, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll try again to add a third superstar.

So, no.