1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well Raphael Stone wants him.......and he matters.

DD

a time to chill likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

i would just wait at least for the 2nd part of next season. I think it is too soon to give him a contract because he is still very immature and he will go off throwing food if he feel he is being disrespected.

[​IMG]

ak99999 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

westbrick level bball IQ

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

KPJ almost averaged a triple double in the last 7 games. Yes, extension now is a must.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. He is perfect where we got him. Let's see 20-30 games first.

One thing I love about KPJ is that he loves Houston, and he loves Houston fans. Out in SL in Vegas he was making time for every single person in a Rox jersey out there, even outside the gym. Couldn't run into a nicer kid.

Another thing I love is that he will have his teammate's backs. He has that Vernon dog in him somewhere. I hope he figures it all out.

jiggyfly, Believe It! and jch1911 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Leroux: …That could lead to an ask for something along the lines of Anfernee Simons’ $25 million per year. However, Rafael Stone can easily counter that Simons had a better 2021-22 than any Porter season so far, and Simons signed his contract as a restricted free agent rather than a year earlier in an extension.

One interesting benchmark could be Kevin Huerter’s four-year, $65 million extension last fall. I would argue Huerter had a better first three seasons but was also in a more favorable offensive ecosystem and a year further away from the new TV money. Still, more than $15 million a year feels steep for Porter a year out, even if he could vastly outperform that by the time restricted free agency rolls around a year from now. If I were in Stone’s chair, something between $10 to $13 million a year would be totally acceptable, but Porter demanding more would require asking him to prove it this season while being willing to pay a higher price tag in 2023 if he earns it.

What does restricted free agency for Porter look like?

Leroux: The good news for the Rockets is that there will not be a ton of other teams with spending power over the midlevel exception next summer. A lot can change between now and then, but right now, only seven franchises — including Houston — project to have usable space, a number that typically drops over the next 10 months due to extensions and new contracts.

Their problem is that most of those projected cap-space teams are young, and the free-agent crop looks pretty weak in terms of young difference-makers. Assuming RJ Barrett, Tyler Herro, De’Andre Hunter and Cam Johnson all stick with their current teams either by extension or match rights, Porter could be in a somewhat narrow group if a potential suitor thinks the Rockets might not have the stomach for a big deal. Could the Pistons, Thunder, Pacers or Magic see Porter as an intriguing talent who brings something different than their other young talent? Absolutely, and it only takes one or two interested teams to drive up the price.

Even so, the general rule of restricted free agency is teams need to fall in love to take the plunge since it ties up their cap space for so long, and that leads to some extreme results like Otto Porter Jr. getting a max offer sheet in 2017 while Collin Sexton and Marcus Smart languished despite obvious talent. My instinct is that Kevin Porter Jr. would draw serious interest but not a premium unless he takes a big step forward this season. Probably something like $8 million to $10 million as a reasonable worst case, and more like $20 million to $28 million as a best case.

Are the Rockets willing to roll those dice?

—Danny Leroux, Kelly Iko

RudyTBag and jch1911 like this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Mavericks would have to do some serious moving (and actually eat a lot of money) to free up enough cap to sign KPJ to a $20M+ contract. And I seriously doubt that that a 50 win team would do all of that to pin their hopes on a guy of questionable (at best) maturity and decision-making skills, who has been pretty inefficient in his career and is unable to move the needle for the league's worst team for two years running. My guess is that they will try to replace Brunson some way this season instead of waiting until next offseason.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Positive posts about his charecter? Yes please. Keep on sending them. Trying to balance out / silence out the negative. I hope he figures it out. Because if he's extended and he still has "episodes", it will be a S Show for sure. Hopefully he can. For himself and the team.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He does? Still no extension

10. King1

Fair enough. I actually like JC just am really high on Henderson.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Mavs are projected $130M but Dinwiddle is $21M non guaranteed
    and Reggie Bullock is $10M non guaranteed as well going into
    that season. *Of course caps holds that a creative GM can work around
    by trading guys in advance of, said free agency.

So is or will the Mavs move on from their Dinwiddle/Hardaway Jr tandem?
    Or continue? As I've said it's very slim pickens at PG/SG that summer in
    free agency.

Brunson at 6'1" was/is a defensive liability that mostly played off the
    gravity Doncic provided. It's different when asked to be the main guy
    or point of attack. Porter is more 6'5" and more prime material for
    where the NBA is trending.

Brunson picked up his game in the playoffs in points as teams focused on Doncic....
    But his Asts and rebounds dropped like a bad habit in the playoffs. Porter
    would be an answer that probably Dinwiddle and Hardaway in elements that
    may be lacking.

*They will have to make a decision on re-signing C Wood.....the backup or
    a starter (by then)?

Edited: Brunson (21/22)
    16.3 pts...4.8 Ast...3.9 rebs...37.3 (3P%) (Porter's stats?...15.6/ 6.2/ 4.4/ 37.5%)
    Last 12 playoff games
    18.0 pts...3.4 Ast...4.5 rebs....33.3 (3P%)

So his rebs went up? Still Asts & 3P% went down.

#171 ApacheWarrior, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    theDude likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But is it because you see them as clean or law abiding?

Jimmy Swaggart was seen as clean.....before he was not
    Jim Bakker was seen as clean.....before he was not
    Ted Haggard was seen as clean....until he was not
    DeShaun Watson was seen as clean....until accusations came out.

We will agree that we disagree....but a team full of saints may be hard
    to come by. Not all good people are good and not all bad people are bad.
    Not 100% of the time.

Have a good day King

King1 likes this.
  13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You keep making these comparisons like those are the only #s that matter. KPJ improved his 3% numbers last year but his 2 point % was poor, his FT % was terrible, and he turns it over far more than Brunson does. Brunson is overall much more efficient than KPJ. And nobody except Westbrook fans care much about how many rebounds a PG gets.

YOLO, King1 and Reeko like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At the moment KPJ is our most capable ball handler. He's the guy I trust the most with ball security and setting up the offense. His handles are really tight.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

not to mention Brunson’s numbers were compiled in meaningful games that mattered whereas KPJr’s mediocre stats and subpar efficiency were with the worst team in the league

Brunson and KPJr both shot the same percentage from 3, yet Brunson has 58% TS and KPJr has 53%…one above average, one way below average

kubli9, Tmac1Yao11, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Couldn't you say better teams with elite talent like Luka provide better spacing and more open opportunities?

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. King1

Not looking for a team full of saints but just can't root for a quitter. If KPJ's lone discretion was something like smoking weed I wouldn't have a huge issue with him. I didn't expect too much from JC as a late first rounder but was pleasantly surprised. Henderson is widely thought of of as a great prospect. I love the talent and athleticism.

We can agree to disagree and see where we end up.

Have a good day as well

slothy420 likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Brunson upped his numbers and maintained good efficiency when Luka was not playing

KPJr is not starting on any playoff caliber team last year like Brunson was, so why so many are trying to force that comparison is beyond me

no one took the Rockets seriously as an opponent…KPJr probably played 50% of his minutes in garbage time with the way we were getting our ass whooped nightly

YOLO likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People need to get away from "good contract relative to ..." whatever and start thinking about the opportunity cost.

Rockets signed Jae'sean Tate to a theoretical "good contract" but the cost *appears* to be pushing out a player who, IMO is a better fit and, being younger, has more potential in Kenyon Martin Jr, which IMO makes the good contract not look so good at all. I still think he should have been moved.

Same thing with KPJ - he gets locked into a long term deal, it's going to foreclose the possibility in the short term of pursuing less "drive home at halftime-ish" options.

Little Bit, theDude, Easy and 2 others like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is not what you said...."No one with intelligence, wants KPJ"

Why are you calling Rafael stupid?

DD