1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we all can hope. But you don't have to advocate giving him a big contract before you have enough evidence that he is worth it. Giving a large chunk of the pie to the wrong guys will make it difficult to keep the right guys.

You are right. We don't have a single star yet. Some of them show great potentials. There's no need to rush any big commitment.

clutchdabear, AroundTheWorld and YOLO like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who cares who advocates for what? None of us matter? What you say, what I say....what ANYONE says doesn't matter, we are just speculating fans......

Only Rafael Stone matters......this thread is 100% noise.

DD

jiggyfly, Easy and glynch like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes we can shave off stats of Porter; but couldn't we do that to Stockton, CP3, Larry Bird and Magic
    Johnson as well. I've seen Doncic inbound the ball....also Dwight Powell & Finney-Smith.
    I've seen Porter inbound the ball....also Tate & Kenyon Martin.

Its the new thing; "Empty Calorie Stats" that were applied to Wood. People
    can construct any narrative they want towards any player good or bad.
    Sengun fans won't dare to subtract from any Sengun stats.... especially assists.

As a former point guard all the assists are the same, except the Rondo assist.
    Where a player holds on to the ball and instead of passing the ball to someone
    with a better angle for an entry pass.....Rondo would skirt a long the perimeter
    and made sure the assist went on his box score stat. Ray Allen hated that....
    and called Rondo out on that.

Porter held the ball too much because he modeled his game to be like Harden.
    That and it's easy to be the passenger of the car while reading the road map;
    but no so easy being the driver and having to read the road map simultaneously.
    That's what playing point guard for the first time in the NBA feels like in the
    beginning. Tell your players where to be and go while trying to recognize the
    defense.....understanding where your kick outs are going to be. It's not easy.

The defense doesn't just let you do anything you want. It's different than
    just going up against chairs. It comes at you fast and furious.

Yes I say Porter will get 7.8 assists per game when I think he can
    get 9 or 10. I'm under utting him on purpose at the moment.
    I would rather he get 7 or 8 in the flow of the game than
    possibly forcing 9 or 10 and maybe holding on the the
    ball too much.....Rondo style.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What would LeBron and folks know?

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think that many like to pretend in their internet persona that they never made mistakes when they were 19 or 20.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Then why do you care when people "root against" a player you love? ;)

REEKO_HTOWN and AlperenSengun like this.
  8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20 years ago you said...
    :eek:

I like that DD, the REALIST. It was obvious those two didn't have "it" and same goes for KPJ. Did you just grow old and now any young person dribbling a basketball looks like the next MJ? :D

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So those guys are taking between 8 and 12 catch and shoot 3's a game?

[​IMG]

Please show your numbers.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

2.2 attempts a game is much different than 7 attempts a game, and Evans was a 40% shooter over the 1st 4 years of his career on 4 shots a game, I don't know what happened to him after that.

KPJ season is not an outlier, his uptick is only about 5% and its only his 2nd year playing a lot.

I don't even know what point you are trying to make, just look at what Durant shot from 3 his 1st couple of years, players can and do get better.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A&dir=1&CF=GP*GE*30

Klay Thompson and Malik Beasley led the nba with 6.5 catch and shoot 3s attempted per game.

KPJ was tied for 212th in the nba with 1.9 catch and shoot 3s attempted per game.

6.5/1.9 = 3.4x as many attempts per game between league leader and KPJ.

clutchdabear, Easy, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You are a big fan of KPJ, you think he'll be a great player, you boast he is the best catch and shoot player but you don't know how many catch and shoots he attempts per game, and you don't care to look. You watch the games and think that kpj is taking 4 to 6 catch and shoot 3s per game. But you have your GIF. I guess that's all you need.

KPJ attempted 1.9 catch and shoot 3s per game and made .9 of them, which makes 48%. If you look at the list you'll see a lot of guys attempting 4+ catch and shoots per game while still shooting over 40%, not to mention that they are hitting their free throws as well, unlike KPJ. Let me list a few:

Anfernee simmons 47.8% with 4 attempts per game
    Seth curry 47% with 3.7 attempts per game
    Luke Kennard 45.8% with 4.6 attempts per game
    Desmond Bane 44% with 3.8 attempts per game

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/c...ayerPosition=G&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3_PCT&dir=1

clutchdabear, Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That was 20 years ago, and would still be relevant if anyone played like Nash, but most don't.

Superstars come in a variety of packages.....and you can build around all of them, BTW three of the greatest PURE PGs ever are:

1. CP3
    2. Nash
    3. Stockton

You know what they all have in common - ZERO RINGS !

DD

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Maxwell was fired by 2 teams his 3rd year in the nba and had done much of nothing, but for some reason you are comparing KPJ to prime Maxwell.

Worth the trouble he can be?

How does that make any sense? Players have done far more and been paid way more and have shown they are valuable pieces and you are using a future hypothetical against him.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, when you look at his overall averages, that means there must be strings of games which led to these overall averages, when you take that "hot stretch" into account. Let's all hope he can continue that hot stretch next season (while contributing to winning basketball, which is more important, unless we want to tank).

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have never said he will be a great player, where did you get that from?

What the hell do those guys have to do with anything I said?

Most of those guys are on their 2nd contracts and had very similar numbers their 1st 3 years as KPJ.

You are just pulling random stats and players out your ass.

Anfernee Simmons shot worse than KPJ his 1st 2 years and got better but for some reason KPJ can't do the same?

Simmons is actually a guy that makes my argument for me and is a good comp for KPJ, and look at what he got paid.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The link you posted is an estimated number. NBA stats are a little different. Anything listed under "tracking" on stats.nba.com are actual numbers captured by the Second Spectrum cameras in the roof of every arena.

Here's the NBA definition of a "touch":

The number of times a player or team touches and possesses the ball during the game

So, you have to have possession for it to count as a touch.

Here's the link to the NBA glossary of all their stats. Anything with a Type = "Tracking" is an actual based off the cameras.

https://www.nba.com/stats/help/glossary/

*Edited to actually included the mentioned link

#1057 aelliott, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Verbal Christ and AlperenSengun like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Can you guys not read? Tyreke made 2.2 attempts, as in, 2.2 of his attempts went into the basket…

clutchdabear and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Last time that happened?

It happened the entire season you just want to focus on that particular time, do you think only that time things were not going his way?

No, it was not a recent occurrence, it was 9 months ago and before the mid point of the season.

This fan fic needs to stop.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is not a random stat. It is a stat that he is at the top of the list, and people use it to justify he is very good shooter.

I am not saying Anfernee Simmons is a good shooter or not. I am saying that this justification is not correct, simply due to the reason that his number attempts is small (and his shooting % in other areas are not good either).

I guess I mixed you up with another poster about KPJ's future greatness.