1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not to say it’s impossible for KPJ to turn out to be a very good 3 point shooter but this post is spot on.

As of now he has a very small sample of good outside shooting and his FT%(which is an undeniable indicator of shooting ability) is very low, especially for a guard. It’s not hating or some kind of misinformed stupid logic to look at these factors and be skeptical of his ability to continue to shoot the 3 ball as well as he did last season.

We will see, he still has time to prove what’s real over a longer sample.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Maybe he only practiced 3's in the off-season, forgot to shoot freethrows

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I said he is not a very good shooter.

By the same token, I could say he is a very bad shooter because he is shooting 64% at the line. When you look at his ts%, it will tell you how he did overall.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is no really good metric publicly available to measure individual defense. Any list that uses one number to rank individual defense is flawed.

Defense is largely a team thing. Nobody just guards one player in a possession, let alone in the whole game. You have to constantly rotate and help and prevent. If one of your teammates misses something, the whole defense collapses. You might look bad rather than the guy who has missed his assignment.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You could say anything you want to say so long as you aren't concerned with reality.

The hot take that one of the best 3 point shooters in the league is a "very bad shooter" is one of the more special hot takes I've heard this off-season.... and that's saying something.

Anyway, if you ever want to come back to reality, we can continue this.

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am not saying he is a very bad shooter. You are. Your logic does. Your logic is to look at one aspect of his shooting, ignore the context it comes in and make a conclusion. Today you conclude he is very good. Some other day when you don't like a player you'll look at another part of his shooting, and you'll say he is a very bad shooter. You could have done that for KPJ as well.

I am saying he is not a very good shooter based on his overall performance.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

1st year free throw percentage of some shooters, even if ppg was low freshman year their FT% was still decent.

1996 - Steve Nash 82.4 FT%, 3.3 pts
    1996 - Kobe Bryant 81.9 FT%, 7.6 pts
    1997 - Dirk. 77.3 FT%, 8.2 pts
    Dirk by 2nd and 3rd year was in mid 80.
    2002 - Yao Ming 81.1 FT%, 13.5 pts
    2005 - Chris Paul 84.7 FT%, 16.1 pts
    2007 - Kevin Durant 87.3 FT%, 20.3 pts
    2008 - Eric Gordon 85.4 FT%, 16.1 pts
    2009 - Steph Curry 88.5 FT%, 18.5 pts
    2019 - Garrison Mathews 91.2 FT%, 5.2 pts
    2021 - Jalen Green 79.7 FT%, 17.3 pts

#887 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No....I'm pretty sure that you are hilariously attempting to make that claim despite all the evidence being against you.

I see a player coming off a season where they were the best catch and shoot 3 point shooter in the NBA, a season where they shot over 37% on nearly 7 3 point attempts per game, and I suggest that player is a quality 3 point shooter. You key in on an outlier season at the FT line and conclude that he's a very bad shooter.

There's a lot that can be said about KPJ, claiming he's a bad shooter, or that shooting isn't a strength of his is flat out absurd.

Your dishonest analysis is clearly engaging in sophistry rather than good faith discussion.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

His first two season he was a poor free throw shooter as well. The league avg is 78% and he shot 72%, 73%, 64%. He's always been a poor free throw shooter. He also has always been a poor midrange shooter, and up until last year he had been a poor three point shooter. Nobody is "denying reality" and nobody is trying to deceive you here. If you think he's going to improve there's nothing wrong with that but there is plenty of evidence that he is not a great shooter.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, that's fine, go through life calling 38% 3 point shooters "poor shooters", it just kills your credibility.

I honestly don't feel like arguing with people that delusional.

11. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I'm just trying to follow your logic here, do you think that invalidates everything else? Like if a player shot 45% from the free throw line and 35% from 2, but 37% from 3, would you call him a good shooter? I'm not exactly understanding how you can justify throwing everything out besides one season of 37% from 3. Isn't it important to look at all this stuff?

i3artow i3aller and clutchdabear like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, shooting 37% from 3 for an entire season on 7 attempts per game shows that someone can shoot. You literally can't do that unless you are a good shooter.

There's reasons why players might slump from the ft line or in traffic, but there's simply no way a "poor shooter" could shoot like that over an entire season.

ApacheWarrior and harold bingo like this.
  13. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Fair enough, can't say I agree but I can follow your thinking. Thanks for clarifying.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on man!

DD

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes they can, outlier seasons exist all the time.

Tyreke Evans once shot 40% from three, making 2.2 attempts a game a few seasons ago. Would you consider him a poor shooter? Mike James averaged 20PPG one year and then 10PPG the next.

As of right now, KPJ has one outlier season of good three point shooting, and he still shot 64% from the FT line.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

2.2 attempts < 6.8 attempts

2.2 attempts per game can cause an outlier, 6.8? Not so much.

17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

So his 64% ft% is not an outlier either. Glad to have this settled.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

These 2 outliers immediately come to mind

During the 2017 season Westbrook shot 583 3s and made 34.3%. Outside of that 1 year he shot 29.8% from 3.

During the 2021 season Julius Randle shot 389 3s and made 41% of them. Outside of that 1 single year he is 30% from 3 on all his other career attempts.

During the 2022 season KPJ shot 413 3s and made 37.5% of them. Outside of that year he is 32.3% from 3.

Biggest difference is KPJ doesn’t exactly have a mountain of sample size to unquestionably say his was an outlier, but it’s not crazy to think his scorching hot 48.2% on catch and shoot 3s might just regress to the mean a bit this season and bring his overall % back down a bit. Also not crazy to think his FT%, which has always been below league average, is possibly a bad indicator for future shooting success.

I actually think there’s a good chance at a scenario this season where his 3P% drops a little, but his FT% increases and overall there is more optimism for his future as a shooter.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did u know Julius Randle is a really good shooter? He shot 41% from 3 on almost 6 attempts a game just a year ago. No way a bad-mediocre shooter would do that

#logic

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It wasn't just his 2p% that drags him down.

His 3 ball was a drag as well - Other than catch and shoot situations.

He shot .482 on catch and shoot but .334 on all other 3 point shots.

He took a team low 12% of his 3 point shots as open or wide open.

Shot quality is something he really has to improve ....

i3artow i3aller likes this.