1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How would that be any different from what has been happening?

Crashlanded19 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, you've told me before it's because members want
    more touches for Green and Sengun......but then they want
    us to draft Wembanyama or Scoot Henderson.

Fact of the matter is, if TyTy averaged ( in 22/23 )
    :
    15.6 pts, 6.2 Ast, 4.4 rebs, 41.5% (FG%), 37.5% (3P%) and 30.7 (Ast%)
    Houston fans would be beyond happy. Those were Porters stats (20/21)

Anti-KPj fan: "yeah, but Porter has been in the league for 3 years!"

Apache: "Not while playing PG!". "Just like we wouldn't give up on a rookie
    putting up those numbers.....we shouldn't give up on Porter after 61 games."
    Claiming he should be moved to second string.

#782 ApacheWarrior, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    maj21 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you don't see how it would be any different playing the most talented player on the team....one of the only players capable of creating their own shot AND creating their own shot and playing a G league quality rookie PG?

LOL, c'mon, you don't actually think that.

That would be no different than me saying what's the difference between playing Sengun or Willie Cauley-Stein.

it's so obvious the question might as well be a troll question.

maj21 likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

1) He is not the most talented player on the team.

2) He had the keys more than anyone else; we ended up with the worst record in the league. Not saying that was all him, but his stats are actually quite bad with regard to most metrics (except catch-and-shoot 3-point %, which is encouraging but indicates he would be better playing off guard, so there is some redundancy with Green there - that doesn't have to be a problem, I think, could be fine).

3) He got better towards the end of the season, a lot better (as did Green).

4) I hope he keeps improving. He is very talented and athletically gifted. He is also fun to watch when he is on (and when he is not giving up on plays). I want him to do great. I just want him to play unselfishly and focus on winning.

5) If he is serious about Houston having "saved his life", and about winning, he should take a long-term deal with Houston at a reasonable value for a good role player. If he is not an idiot with his money, that contract alone will be enough for him to never have to worry about money for the rest of his life. He is young enough that if he outperforms the contract, he can still sign a max deal afterwards. Choose security, show loyalty, even agree to some behavior-related clauses - the fans will love you. If you are short-term greedy now, you impede the team's chances of adding talent, and your own chances of becoming a winner.

I will wholeheartedly support him - just want him to evolve and do the right things. He has a great opportunity here in Houston to get stability and to grow with a great core. But if he thinks of himself as the superstar of the team (and demands money and privileges accordingly), then it will not end well for him in Houston, and likely not elsewhere either.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. He literally is. No one else on the team has as many developed skills as he does. There's simply no argument to the contrary. There are other players who are better at certain things, but no one that can do them all. For example, Sengun can pass and sort of run an offense, but he doesn't have the athleticism or shooting ability of KPJ. Green is more athletic, but he's a joke defensively and he can't run an offense. Smith is better defensively, but he's got no handle and can't create his own shot. Again, there's no counter-argument to be had.

2. He was one of the only players on the entire team that had a positive influence on the team when he was on the court. When you are a young guard completely surrounded by scrubs, there's not a lot you can do about it. You can't do it all yourself. One of the biggest problems he had was that Jalen Green was so absolutely terrible to start the season. When you are a PG, and the guy you set up for assists is playing like the worst player in the league, it's going to hurt the team. When Green turned it around, unsurprisingly it made KPJ's numbers better and made games more competitive.

3. Green not being absolutely terrible was part of what helped KPJ's numbers, but since he was a 2 way player, he was helping the team even when he had to do it with no help.

4. We all hope he does. If he keeps improving, he could be in the conversation for MVP at some point. He's already pretty good for a young PG.

5. Reasonable value for KPJ would be something like 20 mil a year.....because that's not even what league average PG's get paid. Given that he's arguably the most important player on the team, being a perfect fit next to the rest of the core and one of the few 2 way players on the roster, there's no reason why he should take much less than that.

Funny though how people who claim to "wholeheartedly support him" always seem to actively root for the team going cheap and refusing to pay him while hilariously discounting what he does on the court.

I know if I claimed to support Sengun, and was doing the same 2 years from now, suggesting he take 8 mil a year long term and come off the bench or get dumped by the team....you'd probably think I didn't really support him.

6. dmoneybangbang

Rockets are still very much in rebuilding mode, especially with the last season of them owning their own FRP. They aren't in a rush to lock up KPJ but see how he looks or use him in a trade.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL one of the first things they taught us in law school was that when someone tries to underscore their point by "there is no counter-argument to be had" it shows they need to resort to that since their actual argument is too weak.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By all means, attempt a counter arguement if you think you've got something. I was just pointing out the obvious..... and I think you know that given that you didn't even attempt to discuss the actual arguement.

What did they teach you about those who weakly attempt to deflect from the topic being discussed instead of making a counter arguement?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You weren't pointing out anything obvious whatsoever. Your post was crazy.

MVP.

WTF.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And yet you still haven't even attempted to refute any aspect of any point I made. Hopefully they taught you more than beginner's sophistry in law school.

Like I said, give it a go if you think you are capable....but if you continue on this path of deflection without even attempting to make a cogent counter argument, it'll be obvious that you know you have nothing to go on and that you are wrong, you just don't want to admit it.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, he is, especially when you consider both sides of the ball. This is why players like Lebron have singled him out - and talk about him as a future star, because he is one, if he keeps his head on straight.

His stats, and the overall team's stats are pretty bad, because they are all 21 or younger - and the team was trying to tank, blaming one player is silly when they are all still learning - and KPJ and Green both improved the most.

Yes, this is 100% true.

His role is not to play unselfishly it is to be a scoring facilitator, pretty much the same as Green only Green maybe a touch more score first, but they essentially are playing as a tandem - either should look to score the ball first, then facilitate....we are not going to be starting a traditional PG, those are pretty much dead these days.

He should take whatever is best for his own career, it is a business, while I want him to grow in Houston, if he can make more money in a limited time career he should take it, players should never sacrifice income unless it is late in their careers......that is extremely stupid to take less money in a limited duration of a career.

I don't think he thinks of himself as anything more than a good player, we have no superstars yet, unless one emerges.....but we have a lot of good young developing players of which KPJ is the furthest along.

DD

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am specifically talking about his FG % (.415) and FT % (.642) - both career lows. These are abysmal values for a point guard and not really influenced by anyone other than KPJ himself, given that his assisted three-point % is actually very good. So his shooting is particularly terrible when he has control of the ball. The more he dribbles, the worse it gets.

The better point guards also don't have a 2-1 ast/to ratio, but more like 3-1 or better.

It's downright laughable for the other poster to talk about a player who "led" his team to the worst record in the league and put up stats like this in the process to be in an MVP conversation.

I mean, it would be great if he could improve, and as a Rockets fan, I sure hope he does, but @Bobbythegreat's posts are just the usual doubling down on some position he takes and then getting more and more hysterical in defending it.

clutchdabear, King1 and Corrosion like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And yet again, you've failed to even attempt to refute any part of what I said.

There's only one reason for that, you know you can't.

I get it, you just can't bring yourself to admit the obvious. That's pretty much confirming this is more emotional than logical for you and that's fine.

The "led his team to the worst record in the league" BS is especially stupid given that it's a team game. When KD "led" the Thunder to bottom 3 records 2 consecutive seasons, did it say anything about him as a player? Of course not. I legitimately expect better than that from you.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I actually provided facts. You did not. Don't try to argue with me. You will always lose. I have been lenient on you, watched some of the more insane posts, like when you talked about the child of another poster. I have stayed out of all of that. But at this point, just shut up.

King1 and Corrosion like this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

I completely agree man. The good thing is that we’ll get the last laugh bc our boy gonna be a monster this season. Let’s go!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol going back to that well? You know I'll just laugh at you for it.... and it's yet another pathetic deflection attempt.

If you were smart, you'd have just stopped when you realized you didn't have a counter arguement.... yet here you are doubling down again as if you've said anything of substance to counter what I said.

17. maj21

maj21 Member

I’ve been listening to Jackson Gatlin and he’s mentioned twice lately that KPJ may have the highest ceiling on the team, even higher than Jalen. I was like thank god someone else sees what’s so obvious. Only thing Jalen has on KPJ is athleticism. KPJ can do EVERYTHING on the court, he just needs to put it together.

#797 maj21, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Go Rockets!! Share the wealth....every player feeds

maj21 likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think most people realize that, but then there's a small but loud minority that just irrationally hate the kid. It's weird.

maj21 likes this.
  20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No extension like anyone with any sense knew.