1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly.

I don't think Brunson is worth $27.7 million.....but the Knicks set the market
    price with a television deal coming up in 2025.

Sexton is 6'1" just like Garland, but Garland played more games and sported
    a 39 (Ast%). Sexton played 11 games and had a 12 (Ast%). Cavs paid one 6'1"
    guard over the other; the one that passes.

Garland: 39.9 (Ast%) *
    Porter: 30.7 (Ast%)
    Brunson: 24.3 (Ast%)
    Sexton: 11.9 (Ast%)

*and Garland was 30.9 in 20/21.....right where Porter was this year.
    Amazing how stats go up when talent around you gets better.

I've said a million times here: "it's hard to soar like an eagle when you are
    surrounded by turkeys."

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Buddy Hield is making 22Ms per year --- BUDDY HIELD!! Tim Hardaway Jr? 19Ms. Even Caris Levert is getting almost 19 per season. Its not a question of making a similar error to another team its just basic economics of contract negotiations. These things are almost exclusively determined by contemporary earnings in respect to output and statistical similarities. In the case of Brunson NY is just doing NY things. They think they are the smartest talent eval guys so they will overpay to secure the player HOPING he hits those expectations. Its just a revolving door up there with no long term vision. They keep banking on players who they thing are on the verge of busting out.

Paying scoot 15 per year neither hinders the cap or makes his contract unmoveable. If anything that contract suddenly becomes great with even marginal improvement.

I think Sexton is just a victim of bad timing. He is a good player who may need to bank on himself with a one year deal and let the market readjust.

jiggyfly and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Buddy Hield has a 21ppg season shooting 46/43/89 when he signed that contract. He looked to be the closest thing Sac would get to a Steph/Klay type of star. Still was an overpay, but he looked legit. He's actually a good example of the ceiling you put on your team when you draft mid players and then give them big money (although he was actually traded his rookie season in the Cousins deal).

Corrosion likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, Forbes (Sept 19, 2021) put out a good bit. I didn't see a pay wall (just a survey)
    so I hope it's ok to link

https://www.forbes.com/sites/morten...ming-nba-teams-could-spend-big-on-extensions/

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So he looked legit doing that on a losing team but since KPJ does it on a losing team those numbers don't mean anything?

Does not matter if it was an overpay it set the market and nobody signs below market value, do you want to talk about all the other examples that have been listed.

It's funny that the only thing you listed is shooting numbers and never mentioned how much better KPJ is at everything else, especially defense.

#705 jiggyfly, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    ApacheWarrior and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Evidently, you don't judging by what you have posted here.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes, I am very serious.
    Meltdown?

I don't think you actually understand what that word means.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah I'm guessing Porter/agent isn't accepting less than $20M right now.
    [ my Rockets offer right now would be $15M to $18M ]

If I'm his agent that's what I would be advising him. Someone is going to
    pay a 6'5", ambidextrous, consistent 3-pt shooter with an Ast% between
    30-39%.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF are you talking about?

I never said they offered a contract, but do you actually think they would not trade a 1st for KPJ?

This entire thread is speculation, but for some reason you got an issue with me speculating.:rolleyes:

The way some of y'all feel some kind of way about KPJ is astounding.

Plowman likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

A common sense concept that only dumb people can’t understand, because we’ll it’s dumb. Dumb minds think alike

#711 YOLO, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the catch. How much do they think he's worth? Obviously an agent will try to pry as much as possible, but will Scoot have any loyalty in terms of the franchise that "saved his life" How much does he want to be a part of the core vs just securing a bag? 20 per season NOW may be a turn off. For whatever reason 15 just feels right for both parties. Guys shooting for 10 or less are masking a bias within the lowball offer.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you know that no team would offer a 1st?

So you can speculate about something, but I can't give my opinion, what makes your opinion more worthy?

Why would the Lakers not offer a 1st for KPJ they are desperate for talent, and they could resign him under the bird rights.

All signings are gambles KPJ is not far out risk no matter how you keep talking about him.

I am not turning a blind eye to his past problems, but you are turning a blind eye to all the positives he has had since that incident and want to base everything on that, why?

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree, $17M to $18M (with the first year being $15M) seems good to me.

But $20M to $30 buys a lot of new loyalty and home.... unfortunately.

Here is a video of Porter in PnR made over a year ago.

Now that we have willing screeners.....this will come more into play this year.

All of these wide open 3-pt shooters above the break.....picture Tari/Jabari.

Passes to the FT line elbow....picture P-n-Pop with Jabari.

I expect a break out season.

Verbal Christ and Plowman like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We don't know if he has made any mistakes because he has only been on the job a year and the jury is still out on the picks.

We do know he offered Oladipo, the max and that was certainly a mistake a potential franchise killing mistake, so let's tap the brakes on all the Stone love.

16. SamCassell

You can talk about the other examples if you want. The fact that Parsons got a big contract (which was a definite overpay) doesn't mean that the Rockets should have signed him for that much. Sometimes, the best move is to let someone go instead of overpay.

And I quoted the numbers that got Hield paid. I wasn't trying to make a comparison between very different players (even if they are similar size, the skillset is different). Hield was (still is, to a lesser extent) a very, very efficient player. KPJ, as you say, is better than Hield at a number of things, but efficiency is not one of those. He is also much younger than Hield was when he signed that extension, so there's that.

Crashlanded19 and Corrosion like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what any of this has to do with what I have been saying?

My point is its all a crapshoot at the end of the day, KPJ is like everybody else, most of the time you overpay, that's just life in the NBA.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. SamCassell

You just commented above on Stone making a max offer to Oladipo. Thank god he didn't. Huge overpay. That would have been a terrible deal.

Sure it's all a crapshoot but, just like in craps or blackjack, there are good bets and bad ones. You increase your chances by making sound bets.

Corrosion and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yo! I'm not ignoring the positives. I've posted over and over to extend him. I see both sides and hope to wake up soon reading they've got it done.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Great post. Loving the homegrown dynasty talk. Agree the next few FA classes are nothing to bank on. By the time a good one comes up it will be our own guys class and they're going to need that space for sure. They should get it done.