1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Take a closer look at what you posted...KPJ and Jalen basically have identical amounts of pnr possessions. What exactly would "flipping" their roles entail? Similarly with the ISO possessions regarding your suggestion, KPJ already has more iso possessions than Jalen. They're both combo guards doing combo guard things.

#3781 harold bingo, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    jiggyfly, NewAge and DaDakota like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No comments?

DD

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

About what u flip and modify your stance so much it's hard to keep up.

Cause there's no fking way u had that stance from the very beginning.

5. DaDakota

That has been my thoughts on this whole thing the entire time, I just don't like how people bully KPJ - and not do the same for Green or anyone else, it is bullshit, the kid is learning the game - and they are learning how to play together.

Last night in the first half was exactly what I have been asking for, it was what we can become with patience.

2 Combo guards, no PG, Sengun as the additional fulcram at the high and low posts - everyone moving and sharing the ball playing off each other.

Now, that being said.....I get the hatred of ISO, I am NOT a fan of it either, but I do think, for some reason, that is what SILAS was wanting him and Jalen to do......finally Silas has seen what we have been asking for, that Sengun has to be in there as an initiator as well....

Whatever, at least we got a taste of what the org is trying to do, so people can calm TF down.

DD

6. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Always the same rhetoric… the way KPJ plays is totally on him, Silas has nothing to do with it actually. You don’t even know who is KPJ’s idol since he was a kid.

Jamal Crawford, and KPJ is exactly like him but unfortunately less talented version. It’s not a coincidence.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What does this even mean? You think that if Green is still awful in his 3rd and 4th year people won't be b****ing endlessly about how he's a bust and all that? cause i promise you, that's exactly what will happen if Jalen sucks this year and next year and the year after.

Dobbizzle, jordnnnn and harold bingo like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't think that's tru. This is org that supposedly save his life, u figured he would b more inclined to do whatever the frontoffice tells him to do.

Kpj has shown he's willing to take the backseat the last few games and do whatever it takes for the r
    team to succeed. It's pretty obvious Silas wants kpj to b the main dude on a harden like offense. Silas is very resistant to having sengun b the main offense hub for God knows y.

slothy420 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

KPJ has played in 157 games in 4 years and only 106 as a starter. Guys thrust out that "he's 4 years in" thought without context. Jalen Green has already played in 87 games in his 1.25 seasons and has started all 87.

Experience matters.

HP3 and DaDakota like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Man has 4 years of off season to hone his strength.
    U can't just disregard the amount of years a person has been in the league.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. DaDakota

In the last 10 games Jalen Green has been averaging 5.8 assists per game, which has been great, a major uptick in his assists, and people here are very happy about that.

However, he has also averaged 4.1 turnovers per game during that same 10 games - pretty much the same as KPJ - yet, look at the difference in tone directed at one over the other, it is 100% bullshit.

They are both good solid combo guards, and both are going to make mistakes as they learn, but the ill-informed audience has to have a scapegoat and has chosen KPJ - because he makes some dunderheaded plays.....and he sure does......because he is young and is learning how to trust the system, and learn the game - the exact thing his partner Green is doing.

This.....THIS is why I am a KPJ warrior, not because I love him or his game, I don't.....I just hate dumbassery and bullying - and that is what the crowd is doing, they don't see what letting these two guys develop can do, nope they only see the stupidity today - it is hard to be patient and to see what is going on and be ok with it.......I get that, we all want to win now......

But in the end, IF THIS WORKS, no guarantees, then the Rockets will have 2 fantastic guards both capable of playmaking and scoring and that makes us really hard to play against when other team's can't focus on one.....add in a hub in Sengun ( also a turnover prone youngster) and we are going to be fine.

Just stop bullying and be patient......people calling KPJ a PG and having those expectations are flat out WRONG - he isn't...never will be, neither will Green....but we don't need a PG.....most teams don't have one.......while I agree we could use a lot more structure and I don't like Silas I do like having 2 dynamic Combo guards starting.

And I am tired of morons complaining about KPJ when they don't acknowledge what the Organization is trying to do....and how if it works it will set us up for long term success.

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. DaDakota

Well whose ****ING FAULT is that? Certainly not KPJ who is doing what Silas is asking him to do........stop b****ing about KPJ when he is following orders.....

It does seem that Silas at least now has figured out that Sengun should be the fulcram - HALLE****INGLUUJAH !!!!

DD

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Man is a 4th year vet he shouldn't be doing dumb turnovers consistently.

"Because he is young and is learning how to trust the system, and learn the game - the exact thing his partner Green is doing."

Stop comparing the development progress of green to kpj.

A fourth year vet should b held to a higher standard, the fact that u can't even acknowledge that shows how bias u r for kpj.

Telling folks to b patient for kpj when u didn't give green even a month b4 pining for mobley. Hypocrite of the finest order.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. DaDakota

22 years old is still 22 years old......and a new position - he is doing fine.....and when 2 guys are playing together - they are learning together....that is how basketball works, chemistry....takes time.

Say something good about KPJ.....come on....you can do it.....lol

DD

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

There is no substitute for game experience.

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yall are both right and the truth is somewhere in between. Nothing is more valuable than in game minutes, that can't be discounted, and he's barely played 100 games at starter minutes. That's obviously not the same as a typical fourth year guy who's playing into the low/mid 200s in career games. Also the debacle in Cleveland, getting traded, getting his role/position changed, all of this stuff matters. He's not your standard 4th year player.

But there's also a lot more than just gametime that matters. Acclimation to the NBA lifestyle, the training, the diet, the travel, etc. Learning how to get into a routine, the mental aspect of the long season, and as was mentioned here the offseasons. You have 24/7 free time for months to work on your game along with a boatload of money and all the team resources available to you. This stuff matters a lot.

The reality is KPJ is somewhere in between, you can't treat him like a typical "he's in his 4th year" kind of guy, but you also can't put him on the same level as someone like Jalen (experience wise). That's not a fair comparison.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Reasonable take

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow no venom or vitriol?! No thinking that you know more than the coach or GM? Is this even Clutch Fans? ;) Appreciate the moderate take. Good post.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I wish some folks would stop calling KPJ a combo guard. You can't be a combo guard if you are incompetent in half of what the combo guard role asks for. Just 20 games in and Green already looks to catch up and surpass KPJ in that department. Here is hoping we fire Silas after the AS break and hire an actual coach that has a plan on how to use Green and Alp as our playmaking 1-2 punch.