1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So, just to be clear, you are 100% saying KPJ will not become a good combo guard for this Rox team.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Lol do you think Alpi would get the ball more in Atlanta than here?

Withe Tre and Dejonte being the guards and then Collins also needs touches.

It's obvious you do not have a clue when you think Alpi's usage rate would go up in Atalanta.

Thanks for letting everyone know that you don't have a clue about how basketball actually works.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not high level starter money and certainly not 1st or 2nd option money on a good team.

That is average starter money.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Yup....and he deserves that at 19- 6 -6

DD

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is no way in hell they would call him a bust.

It's amazing how you all say **** when you know it's not true and then KPJ ios not even shooting 50% you just had to tweek that as well.

Nobody is giving up on a guy with 19/6/6 and shoots above average from the 3.

Really my guy?

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not tweaking it lol I'm talking about Cade...re-read my post. Those are Cade's stats. His TS is actually 49.2, I did him a favor and rounded it up. He shot 31% from 3 last year and 29% from 3 this year. That's way below average. If Cade in his 4th year is playing exactly the same way he has played in his first 12 games this year, he will be a bust. They should give up on him, and I absolutely believe that to be true.

xtruroyaltyx and jordnnnn like this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He was referring to Cades numbers. ~20/6/6 on ~ 50 TS%. Which would absolutely be considered a huge disappointment if still happening in year 4. Because that efficiency is terrible.

League average 3P% is 35.5%

KPJ is at 32.4% this season and 34.9% for his career.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Nice to meet you idiot.

The priority was Rockets, not Alpi. Zubac had 39/29 last night. Capela would be low profile C for our guards. Alpi would experience A class point guards.

Thanks for informing us your banana level IQ.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was talking about KPJ at 50%.

You should go and look at what Jrue Holiday did before his 5th year and see how long it takes some players.

And he was never considered a bust.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Says the guy who thinks Alpi would get more touches in Atlanta.

Boy, you all sure are thin-skinned when your ignorance is pointed out.

12. DaDakota

KPJ just had 2 games where he went 1-11 on 3pters to lower his 3pt percentage significantly, that will bounce back to the mean....

DD

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What do you mean "I was talking about KPJ at 50%"??? You quoted my post! We're talking about my post. You accused me of tweaking the numbers. I was just letting you know that you misread my post.

And yeah, Jrue is an outlier, but he was also taken 17th overall. That's a great outcome for a 17th overall pick. Cade was taken first overall to be the savior of the franchise, dominate the ball, and drive the offense while getting double doubles or even triple doubles. Again, I'm not trying to **** on Cade, I think he's looked great. But multi year stagnation is, in most (but not all) cases a death sentence for a player. If you don't rapidly improve in the first 3-4 years, it's probably not going to happen. That's why I hold out hope for KPJ.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not speaking for the poster you replied to, just for myself.

I am almost 100% sure KPJ will not be better than Jalen Green as a combo guard. Now if the Rockets decide to keep KPJ long term, I can see three possible scenarios that MIGHT work.
    (1) Bring KPJ off the bench as Green's backup. Get a competent starting PG.
    (2) Play them together but let someone else in the lineup control the offense. This is predicated on the assumption that KPJ will become an efficient scorer playing more off ball.
    (3) Play them together but let Green be the primary initiator. This is predicated on the assumption that Green can be a good playmaker AND KPJ can be an efficient off ball scorer.

15. DaDakota

I am hoping for number 2 - with Sengun being the dude.

And Green and KPJ are our 1,2 punch with some Jabari thrown in as a counter puncher.

DD

Easy likes this.
  16. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Gentleman,
    I don't want to argue. It seems that we are in different worlds. Please help me to understand little bit more.
    Question : What made yo to conclude that I suggested higher Alpi ball usage?

I don't think I mentioned any, on the contrary it seems that I suggested lower Alpi ball usage.

I don't come from " generational talent/franchise cornerstone/him/superstar/3 bigs" culture. I believe that you need 9 good players (or very good players) for basketball. I also believe that as said in Jane Eyre: " If mountain does not come to you, you go to mountain", to adapt new conditions.If you re-read the original post I suggested Zubac and Capela for Rockets: Rim protection, lob threat, low profile centers for effective usage of our guards. It means that we have to adapt if we insist to KPJ led Rockets game plan. Secondly I mentioned Bogdan comeback, meaning less ball usage for Alpi. Trae,Murray,Collins and Bogdan expected to have the ball more than Alpi. That is normal.Where did you get the idea I was championing higher Alpi ball usage.

I really wonder.Please help me to understand your logic.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe Silas considers flipping their positions?

Or let Sengun be full time point.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Flipping their positions....from combo guard to combo guard.

Seriously people are so stuck in antiquated notions of strict positional basketball.

jiggyfly and harold bingo like this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Tonight was the type of game I like to see from KPJ. Limited his off the dribble shots and stupid mid range shots. Lower volume, more efficient smart shots.

clutchdabear and AlperenSengun like this.
  20. DaDakota

The FIRST half was a GLIMPSE of what we can be with KPJ and Jalen as COMBO guards when they get over the young and dumbs....when they trust the system and their teamates, when they stop trying to overcome a mistake by making another one trying to do too much - the first half is a glimpse of what KPJ and Green can be.

THAT is what I have been saying over and over and over again, we are micro - analyzing these guys particularly KPJ when they are still developing into NBA players - they are going to take a lot of time to get it right 2-3 years before .500 at least.....but if we are patient we will have COMBO guards that can both score, and assist and if the right one don't get ya, the left one will.

I would love it if people would step back and see what is happening - instead of blaming either of them tonight for the poor 3rd quarter, enjoy the first half where they were cooking together.....that is where we are headed.

And it would be great if people weren't b****ing all along the way, but I know they will.....

DD