1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

But it wouldn't be the raw stats that would make him a bust or incredibly disappointing. It would be the fact that he did not improve on anything year over year, he shoots inefficiently taking bad shots, turning the ball over carelessly, loses focus all the time, dribble too much without any decision making, slow execution of anything, and we have not come to the defense yet. The list goes on and on. You could be a very different player with those raw stats.

clutchdabear, Corrosion and King1 like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We have at least several more years left of these morons who are going to irrationally hate KPJ, at a certain point you just have to ignore them and let them keep embarrassing themselves.

There's some too biased to ever come around, it's time to give up on them.

The Rockets have won 2 in a row and are starting to play like a team and it's awesome to see.... if these idiots want to whine and piss themselves, upset about one of the team's best players, let them.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Probably would see what we have in TyTy right now. He might not be the answer but maybe adding a guy like Rondo. I certainly wouldn't play Nix anymore. Not sure why he's getting minutes.

4. King1

Bobbythedrunk. Go to sleep before you crash and harm an innocent family. Human garbage

clutchdabear and Ancient Moabite like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I agree, but all KPJ fans look at is surface level raw boxscore stats

Jalen Brunson averages 21, 4, and 7…KPJ averages 19, 6, and 6…KPJ fan logic is that they are similar level players

OKC 6MOY Harden averaged just 4 assists a game, and 1st year Houston Harden averaged just 6…KPJ fan logic is that KPJ is a better playmaker than Harden back then

Demar Derozan averaged 28, 5, and 5 last year…KPJ fan logic will believe that he is on the level of 14-15 James Harden

KPJ averages 3.9 turnovers a game, Trae Young averages 3.6…KPJ fan logic will be that they turn the ball over the same ignoring turnover rate

that’s how they argue their points and view/analyze the game

6. King1

@DaDakota I hope you're right. Love what you're doing with the shot charts. Good fan

Corrosion likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It isn't a taboo subject, unless you are talking to @DaDakota .... both you & @jordnnnn make a good point about his shooting / TS figures being underwhelming. I brought it up along with his general inefficiency during the offseason. when arguing that he wasn't getting $20m+ a year in an extension.

Again, we've dispelled this myth about the ISO possessions. It's a blatantly false statement.

According to NBA.com's stats page, KPJ averages ~3.4 ISO possessions per game while the team as a whole averages less than 9 ISO possessions per game.

That's hardly 72% of his total possessions, its actually 12.9% of his total usage (26.2). I do agree that even at that number, it's a bit high for my liking but these often come as a result of shot clock issues & busted plays .... which he helps create.

The bulk of the possessions come as a result of pick and roll and other screen actions & dribble handoffs.

It's obvious these are shots he's designed to take coming off of those actions, getting into the lane - more often than not they are good shots, problem is, he's not finishing them at a good enough clip compounded by not drawing enough fouls either. Elite guards hit these shots at a rate of better than 50% - he's closer to 40%.

He's also regressed as a 3 point shooter .... .324 so far this season which is below his career average of .350 and last years .375
    Turnovers are roughly at his career average 17.7%. That really has to come down.

I think the question is whether or not he can improve on hitting a higher percentage of these shots in the lane and if he can get the turnover rate down to 12% or lower. If the answer to either of those is no, you pull the plug on this experiment and use him as a 6th man / secondary playmaker.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

KPJ stans spent the whole summer arguing that we should look at the last 7 games of the season as a starting point for KPJ because that was when he was 'unlocked from Wood' and his next contract should be based on that or even to the projection that he would improve massively from there.
    52% ts is not much of an achievement to put it nicely but it is also meaningless just as the last 7 games comparison.

clutchdabear and Downtown Sniper like this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw the post, I'm not denying his growth. I'm just saying the previous tweet you posted comparing Cade to KPJ is a weak message. Like right now, neither of them are particularly good players. Both talented, both have potential, but in terms of their current production, I don't think either of them are hugely positive players. So when you evaluate these young guys it's an issue of potential, of improvement, of what this player CAN become. And the likelihood of that improvement goes down significantly every year. Most star/allstar/superstar players see huge consistent improvement from the time they enter the league to the time they become great.

Anyway the point is that it's very reasonable and not hypocritical to evaluate these players differently, based on their time in the league. It's silly to act like these are directly comparable situations. The context changes everything.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What growth is there? His efficiency is even worse then last year, his assists are down, his turnovers are identical. What is the growth?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

free throw rate, and he’s shooting a career high from midrange…I can’t think of anything else

I guess he’s grabbing more boards as well?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you have ever played basketball - you would know that as a facilitator you get better results when you play with better players, right now KPJ is playing with a very young team who is still struggling with learning to play together, I expect him to dramatically rise as the team around him gets better at finishing and playing together.

He is doing fine, the team is doing ok, considering the starting schedule.

We aren't playing ANY PG's we are playing 3 SGs to start, 3 combo guards......and most of the league is doing something similar.....

KPJ has proven to me that his maturity has grown a ton, you see him get tapped on the head and not take the bait.....

Overall the team has NO heirarchy, some nights it is Green, some Jabari, some Sengun, some KPJ - this will eventually sort itself out, and we will have to wait to see what that means for all our players. KPJ included.

The key is not to get too invested in ANY player as almost all of them could and probably will be gone in 4 years......

I personally just don't like the bullying that fans do on KPJ just because they PERSONALLY don't like his past - who cares....in the 1970s this could happen and NO ONE WOULD EVEN KNOW because social media didn't exist.

IMHO, it is not fair to the players, let them play and judge the results and analyze whether their is growth, I see growth with our entire team - at least offensively.

DD

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol I just meant I'm not here to argue about it. I have no interest in disputing it. He posted the tweet, it's in the post I quoted, you can see it there.

astrosrule likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very reasonable post.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

BTW - shouldn't this thread be dead, we already extended him....which was sort of a shock to everyone.

DD

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It's just a convenient place to continue the discussion of the player.

I wasn't so much surprised that they did extend him, just the timing of it - I thought they'd do it after any FA action in the offseason to preserve cap space. They reduced their available cap space next offseason by about $7m as a result.

DaDakota and harold bingo like this.
  17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yep, but they got a really team friendly deal - so I guess they believe in him enough to offer that......

I am just hoping the team learns to play together and gain trust.

KPJ is the only player we have on the current roster that we can give the ball to and say...go get us a shot.....his ability to beat folks 1v1 is very good, he doesn't finish as well as we would like but he can get a shot every time.

That is a skill that we need at the end of quarters/halves/games - and that creates opportunity for others too....

I like having a variety of ways to beat teams he has a unique skillset on this current team, and we need that.

DD

18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The improvement in kpj is so below your expectations (even below mine and I had no expectation), that you had to resort to:

1- presenting 52%ts as an improvement
    2- mentioning people bully kpj because they don't like his past, when this is not part of my post or anyone's.
    3- 'If you played basketball ...' bs. Many coaches and gm have never played basketball at a high level, and many ex basketball players are doing terrible on technical or management positions.

The never ending suffering of KPJ playing with bad players, lol. There is suffering but it is us the fans and all the players are suffering from playing with bad guards, both KPJ and Nix.

Really?? lol.

Rinaldi and clutchdabear like this.
  19. King1

A team friendly deal doesn't mean they believe in him. Exactly the opposite

clutchdabear likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

lol

[​IMG]