1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - man, I like Christian Wood's offensive capabilities, still do, but he needs a strong leader on the floor and on the bench, he had neither here, and he tried to lead which is a disaster.

But I get why folks don't like him especially ones that don't really understand basketball and the element of team dynamics and leadership....they are just too young or don't really like complexity.

DD

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The thing is the numbers still aren’t even good yet. Volume stats with bad efficiency does not equal good. It equates to having the ball a lot and being given the freedom to do what you want without fear of being pulled or having to effect winning. Still way below league average scoring efficiency on a high volume of attempts(not good)with a fairly high level of turnovers(not good), pretty bad AST/TO ratio(not good).

He’s only had 2 impressive scoring games(volume and efficiency) out of 16 games played this season. And 1 of those 2 was a tragedy in every other aspect of the game.

If we were looking at players like it was still the 90s/early 2000s I could see people looking at the PTS/REB/AST line and thinking we have something really good here, but it’s 2022.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Hinders this team, but only had their worst offensive performance of the season when he didn’t play. Scored only 91 points and had their lowest assist output. Jalen and Sengun were awful that game without him, but yeah, he hinders the offense. :)

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

SPITTIN FAX !

DD

maj21 likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but in fairness the anti KPJ crowd aren't the type of people to let reality get in the way of their narrative.

jiggyfly and maj21 like this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I know you're part of the KPJ fan base but he's simply not a PG no matter how much you guys want him to be. You can point to a single game, I can point to seasons of him being garbage

7. King1

There's like 6 of you pro KPJ people here. You're a clown though who is well known for having the worst opinions here as well as making fun of a posters son. The board would be much better off if you went away

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I highly doubt that KPJ is running the show come start of next year. It's obvious to everyone involved that he isn't capable of running the offense efficiently. I really believe they are continuing this for a singular purpose and that's another early lottery pick.

Either that lottery pick or a big chunk of the ~$72m in cap space will be spent on a point guard either thru FA or a trade.
    One way or another, i think we'll have a shiny new toy at the point guard position to start next season & KPJ will either move to 6th man or be traded.

Question is, who's out there that we want running this team?

In FA there's really only one star at the position - Fred VanVleet and his 3.57:1 assist to turnover ratio - that I'd want them to make a run at.

None of the other FA's really fit the team or bad fits for other reasons .... but there's also the trade market and just about anyone could be had in that scenario.
    A team fails in the playoffs and decides to blow it up, a disgruntled star wants out, a team has to pick and choose who to pay and who to trade ....

I think we really need to examine what's possible via trade this offseason, knowing the timeline is short for turning it around, unless they land FVV in FA, a trade almost has to go down ..... or we're sending OKC a top 8 pick.

Dobbizzle, clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  9. King1

I think a lot of our fans don't realize that if we don't start winning we're deferring picks to OKC

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's kind of weird that the KPJ fans would want to force him to play a role not suitable for him. How is that good for him?

If I were a KPJ fanatic, I would agree with DD and push for trading Green so that KPJ would thrive at the 2 position.

(For the record, I DON'T think KPJ will be nearly as good as Green at the 2. But that's not the point for KPJ fans.)

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If I was a KPJOF I would at every mention demand that Stone trade for a Capela type of rolling big man. Nothing would help him more than that.

The OF people only care about instant gratification though it seems. The LOFs were just as bad. He was actually becoming a better overall NBA player but there was obsession with him having elevated usage, and attempts and an obsession with starting while he actually was becoming a better player with a longer career by learning how to play off the ball and come off the bench.

Easy and Ankara1923 like this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

Haha hell yeah! They’ll come up with some false narrative in response tho lol

13. maj21

maj21 Member

It’s funny bc I remember last game they got mad when he gave the ball to Sengun with 3 seconds left on the shot clock, which ended in him get stuffed by draymond. He got the blame for it. But then later on Sengun was trying to post up and he kicked to KPJ 1.5 on the clock, but he nailed the 3 over 2 guys. See how biased they are? See how they don’t keep the same energy for all players?

jiggyfly and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Capela or Zubac would be great for KPJ and for Houston. I am sure Hawks and Clippers will be keen on Sengun swap through some fillers such as KMJ.. If Hawks swap happens and Bogdan comes back Atlanta will be a real contender and Rockets might be a play-in team next year. Win-Win situation. KPJ with lob threats, Alpi with genuine Pgs. Everyone happy.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Even with that - the Rockets offensive rating is 108 overall and 105 with Porter on the floor.

Maybe he doesn't hinder the offense - likewise he hasn't really shown the ability to make it functional in nearly 2 seasons worth of trying, of course if guys like Jabari Smith would actually hit open threes it would look better.

I think the need for traditional halfcourt PG or any traditional role as discussed here is overblown relative to the position less nature of the modern NBA, but Porter tries to play that role and he's just not good at it. Takes too long to decide what to do and makes the wrong read alot.

Hes a good scorer and its fine to have him finish a play but start it - we've seen that movie a lot

#3615 SamFisher, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fernando is a poor man's Capela. That's why Silas wants to start him.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

That’s a real narrative on here?

Dobbizzle, King1 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

:confused::eek:

[​IMG]

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

clutchdabear and i3artow i3aller like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Nothing irks me more than KPJ only fans. Especially when some of them were anti harden folks. Literally sucking off an inferior version when they been btching about Harden all the time.

Calling out Double D.
    Sucking off KPJ so much man is literally pushing us to trade Green over kpj cause of "trade value". Disgustin

Dobbizzle, clutchdabear and King1 like this.