1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://twitter.com/Itamar_17_10/status/1486456215286779904?s=20&t=OwRRJVGDEUYHoRrYGRz2Nw
    https://twitter.com/eltorotips/status/1372351419118809088?s=20&t=OwRRJVGDEUYHoRrYGRz2Nw

jiggyfly and SamFisher like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure jan:

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes give me 10 more lobs instances and I'm convinced he's a master at lobbing the ball. Kpj isn't good at lobbing, doing one here and there ain't convincing anybody l

Can't reason with kpj stans, they think he's a good pg only on the box score. Maybe turn on the game like the rest of us and u can see how sht the offense is being run.

It's like talking to c wood fans all over again. Only reason it's not as bad bc kpj actually tries to play he's just bad at being a point guard.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You created a dumb narrative - deflect away. Just stick to the purity of the sport for the PG position and the efficiency problems it would make more sense.

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj isn't good at lobbing the ball. Kpj isn't good at passing the ball, he doesnt have the mindset or quick thinking to do it. There's a reason y folks are agreeing with each other that kpj sucks at being the point guard. He can't run an offense bc he lacks the skills to do it.

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think the absurdity of excuses and comparisons are the best part. Here is a sample from last two posts

The empathy and compassion is making me cry, which you've had none for a 19 year oldu Sengun moving to a different continent without speaking English!!

Really? Maybe you should call the nba and let them know their trick.

The 'real point guard' concept': An invention of the kpj stans, to counter claims KPJ lacks playmaking. If you are asking playmaking skills from you pg, then you are 20 years behind in basketball.

You nailed the comparison bro! KPJ must have been in the mvp convo.

What does this even mean?

If only Green played better, KPJ would just be shooting CnS 3s. Wow!!!

You should be a consultant for the rockets. Like Costanza working for the Yankees.

Another perfect comparison. Rockets and Warriors. The track record of Kerr and Silas are almost identical to make think each will figure things out.

Fultz as pg: 2571 minutes (only 1 full season, 8 games in a second season and current season)
    KPJ as pg: 2394 minutes (1 full season and current season)

Fultz has literally 8 games over KPJ, but has been learning PG for years.

Finally you got something right!

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You are conflating topics. He can be a good lob passer without being a good "point guard". Nobody is arguing the efficiency or aesthetics of his game. This is just you piling on with a bad subjective narrative and now you're upset because it isnt accurate.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hmm, Nix is not an NBA talent, or at least he has not shown it thus far. Most posters here dislike him for a reason. TyTy is a rookie who I honestly don’t see anything special to begin with. So if we get same or most likely worse results by replacing KPJ with those two, it justifies your claim that KPJ is a good PG? You aren’t setting the bar very high, are you?

I want to see the offense go through Green and Sengun. At least it’s a joy to watch.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ohhhhh OK. So a pass first PG is not needed? Let me jot that one down. Seems like the majority here say that would fix this team. Just pass the ball to Jalen and Sengun get out of the way and we win! Yay!

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did I just read Toyota Center rims and slippery Toronto court as excuses? LMAO

must be comedy hour on the GARM

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

A pass first PG with NBA TALENT, which Nix and TyTy are not. Not yet anyway.

Heck, we don’t even need a pass first PG. But if you’re playing PG and holding on to the ball for too long but can’t do much about it, then it’s a problem.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sengun is also being called for cheap traveling calls. The high turnover numbers are not just KPj as you and many would like others to believe.

Jalen, Jabari, Tari, Garuba are also getting called for traveling.

Illegal screens are getting called a lot as well. Those are recorded as turnovers. KPj is not asked to set many screens.

My issues with Sengun can be solved easily.
    He just needs to become a better 3-pt shooter.

That would help open lanes everywhere. Team would be more efficient.

I question the loyalty Sengun fans have towards the Rockets. I suspected since the summer that the goal is get KPj/Silas out and then turn hard core against Jalen Green. TS%, FG%, ball handling, defense.

Sengun walks on water....never missing 3's, never
    turning the ball over, never missing FT's which is BS. Sengun fans won't be happy until we are the Nuggets led by Sengun like a Jokic centric team.

Bringing in Scoot Henderson to play the Jamal Murray role. Jabari the M Porter Jr role.

No thanks. I'll pass.

jiggyfly, maj21 and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

For the record, I have maintained that I don't care if playmaking comes from the PG position just as long as it comes from someone who actually knows what they are doing when the ball is in their hands. This could be Green, Sengun, TyTy, or even Tate. Now, do I prefer we find a PG who can playmaker? Yes, because PGs typically have the tightest ball handling skills and take care the ball well. Sengun for example can be pretty reckless sometimes and I don't like that.

What I do believe at this point is that the KPJ experiment is at a dead end or at least should be. This is not because I don't think young players can improve, but rather I just have zero faith in KPJ's ability to become smarter on the court. He is an incredibly poor decision maker with the ball and this hasn't really changed since he has been in the league.

Easy likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

If we got Scoot he might be the most talented player on the roster. What separates a player like Scoot/Amen from a player like KPj besides the obvious physical gifts is that they have Plan A, B and C. Drive and see if they help comes, if it doesn't drive to the hole. If it does then process where it's coming from and kick. If it come from elsewhere, process and kick. They are both better than KPj physically on top of being infinitely better playmakers. Combine their physical abilities with their ability to process the game and you have something there. Even Jalen, who isn't a playmaker by nature, is a much better option than KPj here.

Most at this point are relegated to the thought that KPj is a 6th man masquerading as a starting PG. I'm not even that high on him. I have a tough time thinking he'd even make the rotation of a championship caliber team.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its time to let someone else run the show im at that point too so that everyone can have the comparison they need. TyTy was supposed to be the purest PG in that draft so lets see how he fares on defense and in setting up the offense it cant be any worse right?

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hopefully the supporting cast can hit shots for whoever is running the show - that would also be a big help.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It can always be worse, though that actually benefits us this season. As for TyTy, I definitely would love to see him get some burn over Nix who I never liked.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

You absolutely nailed it, man!! That’s why Sengun fans b**** every game. But yeah, Jalen would be the new whipping boy if Silas and KPJ are gone. They want the entire team to be built around Sengun. It’s not gonna happen!!! If we’re being honest, he’s going to be a 6th man if we draft Wemby. If Jalen and other led us to a championship, they wouldn’t be happy bc Sengun didn’t lead the way

jiggyfly and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

But if you're taking out the albatross from the lineup that most seem ready to blame for everything that ails this team it should NOT be worse. Sounds simple enough - take out a guy who dominates the ball and "freezes" out everyone on the roster and install a guy who will only pass the ball to the efficient players on the team. Seems as if that is the quick fix. I'd like to see that in real time.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you really believe in TyTY he should be sent to RGV immediately. He is obviously not ready for the NBA. I’m ok with experimenting with KPJ as sixth man or SG, but TyTy would be a disaster and Nix should not be on an NBA team. All you have to do is let JG or Sengun initiate the half court offense, move Tari or KJM into the starting line-up and move Gordon to the second unit. It’s that easy, unless you are trying to lose as much as possible, wink, wink.