1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

What I thought. That’s a max player! Need to get it done before Monday

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The list of guys in NBA history to average 20/6/7 over an entire season

Chamberlain, Havlicek, Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic, Oscar Robertson, Lenny Wilkins, Walt Frazier, Gary Payton, Grant Hill, Lebron, Jokic, Harden, Luka, Westbrook, Butler…I think that’s everyone

Some of those guys did it in eras way back where possessions per game were at all time league highs.

I will say theres one guy who has done it recently that doesn’t quite fit with that list and that’s Dejounte Murray, so I guess I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for someone you wouldn’t quite expect to pull it off, but man….that’s an exclusive club

King1, Corrosion and harold bingo like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

They should have taken the draw!!

#3143 ApacheWarrior, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    Believe It! and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. PatBev

PatBev Member

This is the first time I’ve ever actually seen somebody talk about the personal opinion of Stones and the organizations opinion of KPJ

They talk about how Stone has a lot of “emotional equity” in KPJ and Stone will look like a genius if he pans out. I have often said KPJ seems like Stones passion project and first way ticket to executive of the year

They also talk about how no other person in the league thinks he’s a starting point guard.

This board seems pretty unanimously happy with Stones eye for talent drafting. Do y’all have no faith in him? Is he playing 4D chess or using him as ultimate tank commander?

I find the whole situation interesting. First time GM looking like a all star after getting dumped by Harden but gives KPJ the keys to the kingdom. It’s crazy

Shark44, Believe It!, Easy and 2 others like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A very nice interview. Well worth watching. Thanks!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^^^ MacMahon:
    (Jabari) Comp I get from scouts is Rashard Lewis with elite defensive potential

(Sengun) Everyone I talk to around the league really likes him but having a hard time finding people who like him as a starter

(Gordon) They say they’ve turned down first round picks on multiple occasions

(Porter Jr.) Biggest question is Kevin Porter Jr. Rafael Stone has a lot of emotional equity in him. Didn’t give up anything to get him (top 55 protected 2nd). If he pans out, Rafael looks like a genius. Rafael really likes him. Both Seattle guys. The trauma in his life has been well chronicled as has his off-court issues in the NBA, which is why Cleveland gave him up for nothing. Everyone I talk to about him says he’s a good guy, he’s a good young man. But at a certain point, good but erratic is tough to rely on. The other simple fact is I can’t find a single scout, executive, anyone with another team who believes Porter is a starting PG in the NBA or in most cases, a PG period in the NBA.

(Tari) What he is is a freak athlete. Talk about a NBA body. Long arms. Hands look like baseball gloves. Athletic, big, strong. Scout said offensively he kinda reminds him of a TJ Warren or Cedric Ceballos. Not a guy who is a go-to guy but a guy who will get buckets. It’s in transition or a cut to the basket or he got an offensive rebound. Physically, big time defensive potential. Awareness was a big question mark on him going into the draft. They got him with the Nets pick.

Rockets want to make progress this year (not measured by wins/losses). If they have a lot of highly competitive losses and are seeing development in their players, Fertitta and the Rockets front office would be quite happy with the job Silas does this year.

King1, Believe It!, Easy and 3 others like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he might fall short of the 20 points, but if he does I don't think it'll be by much. If he manages 19/6/6 that's every bit as good so long as it's done with efficiency.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think the better question is what does that contract cost them on the court.

They aren't paying Curry, Thompson, Wiggins, Draymond & Poole $30m plus next year. Wiggins and Green are free agents and its highly likely at least one of them isn't coming back.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Uh oh, that's gonna upset those who have dug in here.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, it just means the scouts he allegedly talked to don't know what they are talking about. I'll take what we all got to see last night with our own eyes over some unnamed scout.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm a broken record at this point but like you said it has to be done with efficiency. You cannot be a combo guard without being efficient, if you aren't an efficient scorer than nothing else really matters. If we look at the end of last season and this preseason as an indicator he has a shot to be special, but that is by far the most important thing I'll be watching for this season.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

(Sengun) Everyone I talk to around the league really likes him but having a hard time finding people who like him as a starter

Lot of Rockets fans crying their eyes out from that!!

KingSamJack and maj21 like this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Both are correct. KPJ is not a pg and Sengun is not a starting center. The difference is that you think that KPJ should be given a big contract before he establishes himself as a starting pg.

King1 and Easy like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We will see.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've explained this at least twice in this thread already.

There will only be about 7 teams other than the Rockets in league that have cap space next offseason.

The Rockets will be the top team followed by Orlando, San Antonio, Detroit, Indiana, Charlotte, OKC & Utah.

So who among those 7 teams with cap space is going to offer KPJ a contract worth 20plus million per.

No other team can offer him more than the Non-Taxpayer MLE expected to be $11,368,000.

Shark44, King1, theDude and 1 other person like this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

Hell yeah, I thought the same thing. Some here are pissed lol

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. That will upset some here, but it's reasonable and true.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it's pretty obvious that KPJ has a lot of physical gifts and talent potential. He's big, he's strong and he's shifty.

Considering where the franchise is, it's not unreasonable for Stone to give that the opportunity to come to its potential .... whatever that may be.

Stone had nothing to lose in giving KPJ this opportunity. If he breaks out he found a diamond in the rough, if he flops he helped tank for Green, Smith & whoever they draft this year.

What KPJ has done so far is be very inconsistent & inefficient ..... even this preseason where he's had two statistically fantastic games and another two that were statistically poor. That's the story of his career.

4 one night, 50 the next.

Stone risked a protected 2nd round pick that may never convey on the off chance that KPJ would live up to his physical gifts.

King1 and clutchdabear like this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

We’re not bothered by this stuff bc we know KPJ is a legit player in this league. The Sengun fans get all defensive bc they know his physical limitations, whereas KPJ doesn’t have that problem.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Point Guard is being morphed right before our eyes. Nobody can truly define PG!!

Is Marcus Smart a point guard? He was defined as the starting point guard for the
    Eastern Conference champions in last year's finals!! By the way he makes $17.2M
    while posting 5.9 assists per game. How many did KPj put up last year? 6.2?

Wikipedia definition of point guard: PG: their primary job is to facilitate scoring
    opportunities for their team, or sometimes for themselves
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_guard

Nowadays every player is being asked to distribute.....making everyone a
    point SG....point SF......point PF.......point Center......point guard!!

Is Malcom Brogdan a point guard? Listed as point guard. Had 5.9 Asts per game
    last year and makes $22.6M

Is Steph Curry a point guard? Listed as point guard. Had 6.3 Asts per game. KPj 6.2.

Lillard? Listed as point guard. $42M......7.3 Asts per game.

Jrue Holiday? Listed as PG. $33.6M.....6.8 Adts per game.

Jordan Poole? Listed as PG. Now $35M...4.0 Asts per game.

Ja Morant? Listed as point guard. 6.7 Asts per game.

Tyus Jones? Listed as point guard. 4.4 Asts per game. $15M

I said pay KPj before the season $15M to $18M.....because he will
    put up:
    34 mins.....20 points...7.8 Asts...5.4 rebs...34 Ast%....14 TOV%....
    38% (3P%)....71% (FT%) [I've also said 74% (FT%....not sure which I said last)]

What are this year's pre season stats:
    https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Kevin-Porter-Jr/Summary/95883
    24.7 mins...16.75 pts [ project 34 mins]...4 Asts....5 rebs....14.3 TOV%...
    52.6 (3P%)...72.2 (FT%)....47.6 (FG%)...24.87 PER... .587 eFG.... .621 TS%....
    1.75 Stl....125.1 ORtg.....101.9 DRtg.

Porter will meet the numbers I projected as the starters minus Nix, TyTy, Garuba, Boban
    and adding Tate, Jabari will add more assists and decrease the rebound totals.

I said the Rockets would move on from stagnant 5-men out and add more PnR
    and I was right. I said Jalen Green would get 34 minutes as well and post 25 points
    per game. Porter 20 points per game as he: facilitates scoring opportunities
    for others (their team), or sometimes for himself (themselves).

-see wikipedia definition above-

Meaning KPj could go for 28 points per game if he was "just a shooting guard".....
    but he isn't....he is a combo guard slash point guard in today's NBA.

PAY THE MAN!!!

What you can't understand is that you have to get KPj to take a lesser
    amount before the season.....because if you let him play 22/23.....
    you be f***ed as he post up good numbers equal to or better than
    Brunson and the price goes up between $20M to $30M.

#3160 ApacheWarrior, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022