1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I don’t value either of them too highly but poole has actually been a good player while kpj in his 3 years has been absolutely awful. You can say he has more potential, which is possible, but the odds are against anyone reaching their 95th+ percentile outcome. I would take poole 100/100 times (minus him being a complete douchebag so I wouldn’t want him on my team)

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course the usual are gonna say kpj is better than poole when in reality that's pure nonsense

poole, brunson, herro, blah blah. nobody is better than kpj! LMAO

meanwhile someone is still stuck without a deal

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

What has Poole looked like outside of a stacked Golden State team? He is only getting paid a near max because they just won a NBA championship.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Are you asking how he did when he played on other teams? Great question! Let me look at the video of all his non warriors games

5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Poole is not worth a near max, he making more from this contact then what Draymond green has made and will most likely eclipse his career earnings.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

whether he's worth it or not is relative. when you actually impact winning it gets you paid period

7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

When you're getting paid almost Max money you should be considered a star/Superstar and he is not it. You're letting them winning a championship cloud your judgement of how good he is, and he doesn't play defense.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That’s the part that baffles me so much. If you want to say that you think kpj is super talented and will put it together, fine. But the stuff about how he has been a good player in his 3 years, when he has been utterly horrific, is just wild

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I don’t think he’s very good, I don’t think he’s worth that contract, i would not want him on the rockets at that contract

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, but that contract might start to make some people realize exactly what the new market prices are.

KPJ is looking at 30 mill a year next season from someone so long as he has a decent season this year

The time to sign him for a discount has passed.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Rockets have until Monday, I would try to get a 80m deal for 4 years. If possible.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When I say "too late" I mean that I don't think KPJ would be open to a discount rate anymore, but I agree to offer it anyway and hope for the best.

The KPJ-Green backcourt is likely to be one of the best in basketball this season, they've gotta keep it together

KingSamJack likes this.
  13. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I think letting him hit the market might end up being a mistake. KPJ not worth 30m a year, I could maybe be willing to do 24-25m.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Who has the cap space that makes you afraid will offer him 30/year as an RFA?

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on how well this season goes, work the chemistry between him and Green means you match basically anything to keep him. If Poole caliber players can get 35, it's hard to suggest KPJ shouldn't get 30. The Rockets almost certainly won't be in a position to replace him.

The new NBA economy is absurd, but it is what it is.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The cap is going up 20 mill or so in the next 2 seasons, 50 mil by the end of the decade, these 30 mill contracts are going to become routine really soon.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He's an RFA next season, not at the end of the decade. Who are you worried will offer freakin kpj 30/season in this coming offseason?

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

4 years 100 mill is what KPJ will get. Rockets highest offer.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

... and this season Jordan Poole just got 35 mill a season.

The average for an NBA starting guard used to be 20 mil, it'll be significantly higher next season.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Funny that people thought we could extend him for 12m per. Hahaha