1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If so, will that affect his game? Still have a week to get a deal done. If not, will it get to his head trying to find the balance between scoring and running the team. He's got to find a balance. Without a doubt, this is the biggest season of his career.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteke02.html

15.3 times? What am I missing bbalref has him at 13.2. Year before at 14

Edit:
    Against SA ESPN has him at taking 9 shots that game
    Against TOR ESPN has him taking 10 shots

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

Believe It! likes this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Per 36 minutes played.

Edit : And I was actually mistaken on my numbers he’s at 15.5 shots and 8.2 free throws attempted per 36 in this preseason so far.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ah of course. Got it.

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LMAO for real. I'll keep laughing as long as I look. :D

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They haven't extended him because he's a mental midget and probably doesn't fit into the teams future plans unless he embraces a 6th man role (in which case I'm cool with extending him at a reasonable price like I said).

PatBev likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Very small sample size for the two preseason games. So we don't really know whether he has improved or not. From the eye test, he looked more confident in his decision making.

I don't mind him shooting at this volume provided that he shoots efficiently. Of course he has not been efficient so he needs to have better shot selection. And Jalen and Jabari are our best shooter. They should be the leaders of shot attempts.

I think he was trying to do too much wanting to create shots for himself and teammates. I hope they will have a more structured system installed that does not require KPJ to do those "Harden things" as Rockets fans subconsciously expect. He just needs to take care of the ball up court and initiate the offense within the system.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In the stats community does per 36 mins or per 100 possessions hold more weight?

11. Ancient Moabite

It could possibly affect his game but those usually on expiring contracts have good to big seasons and stay on best behavior, knowing they have somewhat of a hefty extension in the wings. To me his biggest season of his career is day 1 rookie year which carries over to later ones, but I see where you coming from

Thing is all players have to find a balance in what they do in their profession, KPJ just has to go out and play to his and the teams strengths, and since he proclaimed to be the team's PG, then he has to harness his inner I.Thomas (pistons) / Iverson and do like you mentioned, get others involved early and then in the 2nd/4th qtrs know when to get that bucket if necessary

Believe It! likes this.
  12. Ancient Moabite

It could possibly affect his game but those usually on expiring contracts have good to big seasons and stay on best behavior, knowing they have somewhat of a hefty extension in the wings. To me his biggest season of his career is day 1 rookie year which carries over to later ones, but I see where you coming from

Thing is all players have to find a balance in what they do in their profession, KPJ just has to go out and play to his and the teams strengths, and since he proclaimed to be the team's PG, then he has to harness his inner I.Thomas (pistons) / Iverson and do like you mentioned, get others involved early and then in the 2nd/4th qtrs know when to get that bucket if necessary

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Great post. He's killin it rt now.

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

15. Ancient Moabite

Dude is talented no doubt, and as he stated, he got tired of being in his own way and hopefully has figured it out for most part

if he had played all year like he did the last portion of the season then the extension talk wouldn't be relevant because they would have locked him up by now, right now the Rockets hold the cards as far as the extension but as far as letting his game do the talking KPJ holds those cards, consistency is the key, regardless of w/l's because they are coming up on just year 2 of a full blown rebuild

KPJ should shoot for 18ppg and 10apg with decent efficiency and taking care of the pill and he will no doubt get paid, rather it be with the Rockets or elsewhere

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Prediction:

KPJ

4 years 80 mill.

DaDakota, Plowman and maj21 like this.
  17. RocketsDraftTV

Can we trade sen-bust for the jovic kid on the heat

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. Bobbythegreat