1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To everybody that hates Dallas...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Jul 9, 2007.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You're REALLY going to hate them now...

http://www.click2houston.com/news/13646368/detail.html?rss=hou&psp=news

Dallas Uses Houston Billboards To Recruit Officers

HOUSTON -- The Dallas Police Department is boldly recruiting in the Houston-area for new officers, KPRC Local 2 reported Monday.

The north Texas agency is using local billboards to advertise its need for 350 new officers who will receive a $10,000 sign-on bonus.

Dallas is recruiting in an area that already has a manpower shortage.

The Houston Police Department has 400 to 500 officer vacancies while the Harris County Sheriff's Department is short 140 deputies.

"Our pool of candidates -- I would encourage them to take a good hard look at us before going to Dallas," said Hans Marticuic with the Houston Police Officer's Union.

The local police union president does not fault Dallas for its recruiting tactics.

"It doesn't surprise me. We try to go and steal from other places, too," he said.

The city of Houston hired a marketing agency to help compete against other recruiting campaigns.

"We've recruited officers from other agencies. It's just the nature of the beast," Gabe Ortiz with the Houston Police Department.

Once a top recruit, Thomas Warnkehad, 22, had his choice of agencies to work for in law enforcement.

"I had several police department I was eligible for," he said. "You always shop before you buy something. You always want to get the best deal for your money."

The new officer eventually chose to work for the Pasadena Police Department.

Houston City Council recently budgeted for a seventh Houston Police Department cadet class.

The police union, though, said it’s a little upset with the city for not paying $7,000 bonuses for officers who were recruited to the department from other agencies.

2. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Those Bastards!!

3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Despite the plethora of cops in the Houston area, I hate Dallas even more now because of this :rolleyes:

There are cops EVERYWHERE. What the hell kind of shortage are they talking about?

4. WWR

WWR Member

You must frequent the bad part of town. :D

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"It doesn't surprise me. We try to go and steal from other places, too," he said.

Apparently they both go hunting off-site... :D

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cops stealing?

Say it isn't so, joe !

;)

DD

7. SherKhan

SherKhan Member

I've seen one of those billboards by 59 and chimney rock

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Seriously, if there are that many job vacancies, cops should be getting paid better than ever before. And they may be, but the pay still sucks...

9. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

They should offer donuts instead of dollars.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I see atleast 785 cops in downtown writing tickets everyday. Maybe they should be allocated to some other more important jobs? :rolleyes:

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Taking away other's cops and overpaying them? Sounds like a Cuban job to me...

A lot of cops here are buttholes, especially the traffic ones. If it means less nonsensical traffic tickets for the sake of meeting their stupid quota, then take them. I see too many of them in the courthouse just chilling like it's a Sunday morning.. it's ridiculous.

I just really dislike most cops here.. that is all.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe they could be if the people downtown would stop breaking laws.

13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Damn...if only I could pass the polygraph and the physical I would be applying to DPD right meow! :cool:

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

I saw it a day or 2 ago. It caught my attention.

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

dallas sucks...

16. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

I hate Dallas but it's hard to turn down better pay and a 10k bonus.

17. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Cops don't have quotas...

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree...to many f'n cops and way too many stop light cameras...The cameras do all the work...do we really need more a-hole cops? ;) They do pay quite a bit more up here, especially in the burbs...

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Doesn't Houston have a pretty big shortage of police for its size? I thought that we were getting ready to have a pretty big part of the force retire in the next couple of years and they haven't been recruiting enough to replace them.
    I also think for all the police driving around in cars, Houston needs more cops walking the streets in downtown/midtown.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

SHE'S JUST RIDING A SKATEBOARD !!