1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Clutch: Let The Cat Out The Bag On Rons Behavior

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Jul 3, 2009.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I've already gone to great lengths in explaining why I won't miss Artest's game at all so there's no point in stomping on his grave any further. I honestly think Trevor Ariza, while not even half as talented, adds a lot more to this team, especially going forward without Yao.

That said, the one thing about Ron that I will miss was his aura. He gave this team a swagger that it didn't have since Charles Barkley's 1997. The Rockets as a group have always been a hard-working, feisty bunch since JVG took over but Ron put them on steroid mode. This doesn't have any tangible benefit for a rebuilding club but for a team that had fancied itself a contender for much of the year, that was very fun to watch.

1 person likes this.
  2. Asian Sensation

Another brilliant post. Agreed 100% on all statements.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Thanks. Just to expound on that, the thing about Ron was that he wouldn't let you humiliate him, as O.J Mayo and Lebron did on separate occasions, and then just walk off with his tail between his legs. He was going to make sure you at least left with something to think about. Other than the Lakers series, the one instance from the 'Ron Artest Experience' that I recall most vividly is the first Cleveland game when the Cavs blew open a close game in the 4th capped off by a vicious Lebron block of Yao. The game was completely out of hand, but Ron then proceeded to hound King James full-court like some sort of maniacal psychopath for the remaining 2 minutes (he did this with Mayo as well). That game, at that point in the season, had championship implications. As a fan, you just had to appreciate Ron's understanding of the importance of respect and tone-setting against NBA elite competition.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Thanks for reminding me of that! That is definitely one area of Ron's game that I will miss wholeheartedly...his unwillingness to back down or let up. I remember watching that game and it was getting very testy (no pun intended) between Ron and Lebron; the game was already won by the Cavs, yet Ron kept badgering Lebron until the clock reached triple 0s. As much of a bonehead he was on the court, he never let anyone or any team disrespect him or his teammates.

5. logicx

logicx Member

Very true. He's a competitor, no doubt. I am, however, thankful that he's not as ridiculous/petty as Kobe is about it.

6. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Was losing 3 straight after up 3:1 in a series the way Tracy rose to the challenge? Losers have no right to talk about challenge.

7. cuddie

cuddie Member

When you consider that basketball is a team game, and winning or losing is determined by more than an individual player, I think Tracy did indeed rise to the challenge. Tracy scored 40 pts, had 10 rebounds and 5 assists in Game 6 against the Jazz in 2008. Yet we lost by 22 because the rest of the team outside of Luis Scola shot 10-39.

Ron Artest did not carry us past the first round. It was a team effort, but his contribution was the most lacking. Tracy carried us in years past. He didn't carry us to playoff success, but when your supporting cast consists of players like Ryan Bowen it's easy to see why.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Ahem...

Read here also.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3810844&postcount=607

1 person likes this.
  9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

10. mazinger

mazinger Member

To McGrady's defense, that was the year that the Refs screwd several teams including the Rockets. Hasn't McGrady averaged very high ppg in all those series too? He has definetly risen to the challenge except that he did not have the supporting cast to put them over the top.

11. DaneB

DaneB Member

Clutch may very well be waiting until tomorrow to tell us all about Artest. He may want Artest's departure to be carved in stone first...Am I right?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

your so freakin' smart. Now get over yourself and stop repeating the same damn thing in every thread.

14. 2cool4school

2cool4school Member

Artest was a locker room cancer and RA let him basically do whatever he wanted, thats why he likes RA so much. He skipped practices often, showed up to games 15 minutes before they started, and TMac and him did not like each other. They got along, but did not like each other.

Im not a Artest basher, but I was happy to get him and not sad to see him go. We're not going anywhere next year anyways, even if I did.

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Heh, I remember that because the team told Tracy that if he got 40 they'd back him up and win the game. Well, Tracy got his 40 (on a bad knee no less) and the rest of team failed to show up. If I wasn't a Rockets fan I would have had a good laugh at that.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Clutch never said he was going to let the cat out of the bag regarding Ron's behavior.. the OP was just asking him to.

I'd be surprised if Clutch ever posts in this thread because somethings are better kept to oneself.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Thank you, how kind of you to notice.

And it is You're......

;)

DD

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm, some revolutionary and brand new arguments are spawning in this thread.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    And yet to some posters it was still "Ron Artest that got us out of the second round"....

Its about the team people.
    <br>
    I'll back DD up here too. The guy has been consistently saying Artest shouldn't be here since about December at least...

*consistently being the key word

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I said it when he was available that he did not fit with McGrady and having 2 ball stoppers is a problem and that on a team with weak leaders like Yao and McGrady, Ron would screw up the chemistry.

And...he did.

DD