1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Clutch: Free Membership Hurts Contributors.

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by tracymingreedy, Apr 1, 2006.

?

Should New Free Members be able to post new thread?

1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

113 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

Clutch, I hope this is not an offense to you. but the free membership really hurt the loyalty of the contributors to this forum. I became a memeber last month as a contributor, only found that free membership is available again. I have not regret having contributed, and will do this again in the future because of the wonderful forum you provided for Rox Fans. But I would recommend limited privilege to those new free members, to maintain the quality of the post and replies. I would recommend at least they can't post new thread. What is your opinion Clutch Fans?

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

i agree that new people shouldn't be able to post new threads right away...

...this thread is a perfect example as to why.

3. kevinlv

kevinlv New Member

i agree too

4. Single Cell

Single Cell Member

This is a complex issue.

On one side, there is the argument that these rookies are new, and therefore should be viewed as noobs no matter what the circumstances. It is said that by simply free-riding their way into this great forum we call Clutchfans, they make a mockery of those decent folks who followed the rules and contributed,

On the other side of the spectrum, people point out that these new posters are simply trying to find humane dialogue after escaping their destitute native message boards. In their search for knowledgeable discourse, it can be argued that these huddled masses of Rookies represent the true spirit of the BBS.

I can say that I will personally make any sacrifice in order to become a legitimate member of this noble community. Clicking on ads, not demanding the right to start threads, just about anything.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

if you read clutch's thread, he makes it clear as to the privelages of contributing members.

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

paging bigtexxx...paging trader_jorge

7. trickywhiteguy

I don't think it would be completely fair for us as "Rookies" to not be able the post new threads because posting a new thread with breaking news or some thing of that nature is away the we can make a positive contribution to this forum.. But i do see your point.. OK lets just say that for some reason clutch does take away are privilege to post new threads we should at least have the right to earn it back with being active and making QUALITY POST!!!

8. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

I dont think rookies should be allowed to post new threads either until they've demonstrated their ability to make thought-provoking comments and good analysis...maybe examining a sample of their 1st 100 comments and then giving them extra privileges, but that would be a logistical nightmare or just waiting until we've reached 100 posts and then automatically allowing us to start new threads

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

agree

10 bucks is not much

and everyone can afford it

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Single Cell, you make good points, but the real problem here has nothing to do with being "internet savvy." It's the experience with the ClutchFans culture that's lacking. The collective posters here have a certain way of doing things. If rookies come in to this forum all brash, starting crappy threads and assuming this forum is similar to RealGM or the ESPN boards, they're in for a rude introduction. If they think we'll adjust to them, they're also wrong. The way to understand the culture is to proceed cautiously and learn the ropes. Now, I'm not advocating lurking, as I think many rookies have a great deal to contribute. (I've seen some awesome posts from rookies over the past few days.) Just be mindful of your surroundings. That's all. Don't start the 52nd "JVG Suxx0rs!!11" thread. Don't make 2-word posts. Don't make Clutch or the mods angry. Don't post articles without links. Don't resort to personal attacks. These type of rules might seem like common sense, but until you get your bearings first, you just might break them.

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

yes, thank you clutch, it's to be determined whether overall this will work, but I'll try my best to make it work.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i dunno about everyone.... i couldnt afford it for the longest time. shoot, i still cant spare an extra 10.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

sometimes, new posters may have some insightful news.

14. rocketsinsider

yea everyone brings their own ideas and something new to the table, and about the 10 bucks, i know it might not sound as much but I am currently in high school and about to go off to UT for college, and i bearly have enough to fill my truck up with gas, so i really apreciate the fee waiver since i have been a rocket fan for a long time.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i dont think we, rooks, should be able to post either.

16. RocketGuy1

RocketGuy1 Rookie

Considering some of the new threads I was seeing during the first few days of free registration, this was probably a good idea. At least it happened after I already made the one thread I wanted to post. :D

But my question is will we get thread-posting privileges back if/when we break through the Rookie Wall? I would guess yes, but...

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

As detailed by clutch in that other thread, all of these new "rookie" posters are basically on probation. Those who don't show themselves to be quality posters will have their accounts revoked later on. Even posters that register but don't post will have their accounts deleted. So really being a contributor and not being in that kind of situation is very valuable. Also you can get to the board at all times, even during high traffic, and that alone is worth it to me.

18. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I, for one, have not visited clutchfans nearly as much as I used to. the main reason for this is because of the numerous amounts of useless new topics created....by the new guys. just please read around before making a new topic. i cant stand coming here when there are countless new threads that i have to catch up on....and i come VERY often. it has almost become unorganized and mayhem has occured...maybe not to that extreme but like I said I have no visited as much as I was lately.....

if I had it my way, lol, I would be locking plenty of threads every day :D

19. parmesh

parmesh Member

i am a free member and a HUGE rockets fan. I think i should be able tyo post because i've been waiting a LONGASS time to be with clutchcity.net/clutchfans.net (like 2.5 years at least)! i only go to this site for rockets news and recaps, not even the official rox site! some of us deserve to be here, others dont. so dont generalize!

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think it should be based on the quality of the BBS moniker.

Take this thread, for example:

Single Cell
    CreepyFloyd
    Storm Surge

are cool monikers, and therefore get view, post, edit, and search capabilities.

tracymingreedy, on the other hand, might be the worst moniker in the board's history, so he'd have view only capabilities

The others are decent, but not eye popping, so they get view and post capabilities