1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To BimaThug, Moes, DD, Clutch, and the 99ers

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2011.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I have no major issue with the GARM... just with a few people who post there.

I really like the Week in Review idea. Would be nice to see where Clutch and a few others posted without having to wade through all the pages in all the threads.

I think it is implied in this thread, but one of the things I miss is a lot of the "insider" info we used to get from folks like Doc and OP. I realize it can't be "fixed" and we're probably too big for anything like that to come about again, but it certainly was cool when it was happening.

Clutch... I like your idea. You're right in that you won't make everyone happy, but take a crack at it using whatever criteria you prefer (even if it is just picking the posters you want to hear from) and let the chips fall where they may. Best case is you improve things and the worst case is a few people get mad at you... but they will come back. Plus, I think anyone who met your criteria would be honored and willing to participate as much as their regular life allowed. Thanks again for all the work. Great site.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How can I preach people to be 99ers? Only 99ers can be 99ers.

Obviously I notice the growth of Clutchfans, the GARM may be overwritten with too many duplicate and unnecessary threads.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

So all this discussion and no clear solution on how the rest of us moguls can become a 99er?

I mean what about us born after 99?

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

99er is a nice concept. No issue with the exclusivity of them. They WERE here first, and that CANNOT be taken away. If we know one thing about Texan citizens in general, they'll have pride just for the sake of having pride. And its mostly BENIGN. The football team is NAMED the TEXANS for goodness sake. Thats almost like the NFL version of "99er"

I love historical references. I love reverence for the predecessors & pioneers. Retro/throwback unis and logos are nice - following that up with actual interest of the old times is even better.

I like illuminating the past greats and building them from mere mortal men into larger than life legends. Maybe Otis Thorpe SHOULD be made into a Paul Bunyan-esque mythological figure. :)

Affinity and affection for a special select group is COOL. But I don't want some obstructive 99er potentially blocking out something insightful a member from February 2012 can tell me about Marcus Morris. Cuz they're too preoccupied with backhanded DELIBERATE SHAMING people to BOOST THEMSELVES. That has little to nothing to do with board POSTING quality. Its pure nepotism.

1 person likes this.
  5. rimrocker

Was it nepotism when the Nazis bombed Pearl Harbor?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pretty much screwed then as a non-99er then eh? I guess (we)I better get moving along. ... Whatever. Goodbye. Merry Happy New Year.

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

but flamingdts, they were here before you even knew what clutch was, and now they are the only ones who can save the GARM from its incipient demise. it is surely only a recent phenomenon that said forum has passed them by, and thusly they are also the only ones entitled to complain about those obnoxious noobs that are now suddenly ruining their sovereign GARM domain of which they are the prized commodities. this is strictly a new phenomenon. the GARM rocked until you came along.

tinman's predictable pandering and DD's passive aggressive spazzmatic spanoulis, etc. affinities and remissions couldn't possibly be a part of the problem. them was here first, mayne. surely you understand that. it's their world and you should be so lucky to post in it.

tinman saying he is "just giving the 99ers their props." LAWL. how convenient that you are a recipient of your own props. if there is any sub-sect of posters on here who deserve overdue clout, it is the precious few aborignees who, LIKE, BEEN RUN'N THIS **** SINCE JUMP. nobody ever mentions how long they've been posting, man. we outta repeatedly recognize these pioneers for finding the first nut, to the point that it clutters and denigrates the inclusivity and integrity of the board's democratic mantra. that's just criminal, they have earned your respect through years of merely existing. did i mention how long they've been mentioning how long they've been here?

tinman, and to a lesser extent Moes and DD are just anachronistic, niche jesters. like basso's but with more harmless evocation. tinman was here first, fine. that just makes him a thirteen year sycophant without anything else to promote other than his dear tenure, and in my estimation, less to contribute to the community than SCK, YDS, or any run-of-the-mill post-99er wannabe wunderkind. bimathug, knote, blathersby, and durvasa are the model citizens, and i have no idea when they joined or how big their green ego's are because their posts supersede such synthetic hierarchy, and speak for themselves. if you are constantly reminding us when you joined, it's probably a sign you have had little victories to cling to since.

let the 99er circle jerk continue, and let them think they are god's gift to the GARM. please. that place is a mandarin ymca pool with amputee lifeguards and an undertow of ps3 gm expertise. they all deserve each other.

web tenure powertrips. this is real folks.

1 person likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

hsf09 is a great counter-example to what tinman complains about. Fantastic contributor who came here later but tirelessly posts recaps, makes intelligent posts, is usually the first one to find new news, and doesn't get into stupid arguments.

You have to take the good (posters like hsf09) with the bad (some of the rookies). Just having been here first means little.

Maybe the thing is also that some of us oldtimers have done the silly arguments in the GARM back then and stopped doing it as much because it's tiring and pointless? So maybe it looks like we make less stupid posts, but that is just because we are tired old farts :grin:.

1 person likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm just giving a shout out to the 09ers, they the best mayne.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What in the **** are any of you talking about?

When did this thread become "Pontificate on the state of clutchfans".

You all sound like morons trying to nail down some sort of rhyme or reason for what exists here and what doesn't.

If it wasn't working, none of us would still be here. Maybe its been "in" to rail on the GARM since the Yao newbs destroyed it, but don't we still all go in there now when a trade is brewing and hit refresh like maniacs?

The truth is "99ers" just got used to having their egos validated in the early days when the board had a more "frat house" feel where conversations felt more intimate and people recognized nearly everyone who posted. That sense of personality eroded considerably as the site gained popularity, that is just going to happen when something goes from an expanded chat room to a 40,000+ user gold standard fan forum.

Basically what it became is a bunch of the older posters bitter about their opinions not mattering anymore because some 15 year old Chinese kid with poor grammar thought Tracy McGrady was better than Jordan and HOW DARE some non-99er who didn't understand the magic come in and try to assert a clearly uneducated opinion on the internet!

Nobody needs to save the GARM, that GARM is dead and ain't coming back.
    Anyone who isn't stuck in the year 1995 might be able to realize this.

1 person likes this.
  11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Also - I'm Hakeem Status now and wish to be only referred to as "Hakeem Status Moes" or simply "Dream Status" if you wish, or some other reasonable incarnation as long as it relays the general message.

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

your rant started with
    I'm not so sure where you went we that, with your rant.

Do you like the GARM or not.
    If not, who cares why not, because we have had this feedback thread forever...as you point out....when you were like 16 yrs old...right?

If you had a magic wand...what would you do?

You can't answer that, because Clutch would have already done it.

Right? just listen for now...OK?

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay, Neckbeard Status Moes.

14. rimrocker

Reminded me of this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OnpkDWbeJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Good post, albeit an extreme way of asserting the point.

I may pay extra attention to posters who joined earlier than me, regardless of date, simply because most of the time they aren't trolling around. But regardless of join date, I don't feel the need to have to retract my opinion on a topic or be extra respectful to posters who joined earlier than me. Especially when they themselves show a lack of respect.

My biggest concern for this community has always been the segregation that occurs as a result of this join date. Tinman for example, has a habit of spending time to deliberately separate 99ers and other posters, sometimes just simply because of join date, sometimes because of opinions (I recall once when a poster said he didn't think much of the MVP award, and tinman made a thread saying that poster thinks Hakeem's MVP award was a farce). Not pin pointing tinman specifically, but just providing an example.

These types of segregation is detrimental to the community in my opinion, and with this elitist type of attitude it really does lower the quality of the board.

99ers is not what Clutchfans is all about, Hakeem is not what Clutchfans is all about. Discussing the Rockets, expanding the community and accepting new Rocket fans is what Clutchfans and what a community like this should always be about.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't understand your crusade dude.

This thread is about calling upon some of the great posters like Clutch, DD, Bima and others to have a think tank on how to solve problems and improve the GARM.

Nobody is saying Hakeem is what Clutchfans is all about.
    However, Hakeem discussions are always welcome in the GARM.

The MVP discussion was a person who disrespected the MVP award to prove that his favorite player, who has never won an MVP, was better than MVPs.

I don't know if you know this, but Hakeem brought his teammates out to accept the MVP award. He thanked his teammates and coaches for helping him win the award. It was quite a moving event for the Rockets and all of people Houston.

The MVP award is very hard to win.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

flamingdts is some paranoid android or having the bends or something.

He mentions that I preach. I do preach. I preach about the glorious history of the Rockets, with heroes like Hakeem, Moses, and Ralph. I try to educate the masses about the facts. Yes, Jordan's Bulls did play the Rockets and they couldn't handle Dream. Yes, in 95 Jordan was there.

Also it's about facts. The true timeline and events on why certain players get traded and why they are not seen favorably through the eyes of the Rockets fans.

I am giving the 99ers props. Like when Dream and Clyde gave each other props.
    [​IMG]

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

99'ers represent.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No doubt you do that, I never said you didn't.

You have a terrible habit of making strawman arguments, taking things out of context is your forte. I'm certain you'll do the same with this post that I'm typing.

I said you have a habit of preaching about the superiority of being a 99er, or at least implying it. Now if you don't think that's true that's fine.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So I'm assuming you are saying nowhere in this thread title nor topic does it imply 99ers are superior posters?

And stop with the strawman argument. I love Hakeem, I respect Hakeem. I don't need you preaching to me about what Hakeem did or did not do. Hakeem won the MVP, it was a great honor for him that demonstrated his prowess. But I would agree if somebody said they think the MVP award can be overrated within reason, but nowhere does that mean I think Hakeem winning the MVP is overrated.