1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To be considered a better player than Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tropics83, Aug 4, 2015.

1. tropics83

tropics83 Member

Hey guys I am going to ask a question right now and I am sure it has been asked countless number of times. What would it take to be considered a better player than MJ? If a player averaged the following stats and championships is he better than MJ? I want a simple YES, NO or WITHOUT A DOUBT as your answer nothing else!

Rebounds: 11.2
    Assists: 8.3
    Steals: 3.2
    Blocks: 2.3
    Championships: 8 in 20 seasons with 1 team. 7 of them as the first option

Now I know you guys are gonna say no player can put up these numbers ever, but I had to set the bar high because we all know how hard it is for anyone to duplicate what Michael did. Remember the answer should be YES, NO or WITHOUT A DOUBT, and your comments as well I ask this question because many people say that in order for a player to be considered better than MJ they would have to average more points but I beg to differ because scoring is not everything. The stats that I have posted above show a player who has all around skills. Oh and by the way my answer is HELL YES!. Any player that puts up those type of numbers and wins 8 championships with one team is a far better player than MJ. MJ could average 35 points a night and I would still take these stats and those 8 rings over his 6.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's more to player evaluation than a box score, so I can't really answer.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yes!

But what if a player averaged 50 points, 17 rebounds, 13 assists and 7 blocks per game and won 11 championships in 10 years?! Would he be better than this mythical Better Than MJ player?

What if a player averaged 73.4 ppg....

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

Those are Tom Chambers career stats.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Yes. Obviously these numbers were made to trump Jordan without the scoring, but to show a much more balanced overall game at a high level.

Now I wouldn't agree 100% that this is a clear cut yes. What if the league had washed up talent and NBA basketball wasn't what it used to be (or is right now). You can argue that MJ played in the most dominant era of basketball. Tough run and gun 80s style basketball, then winning 6 times in the stacked super teams of the 90s.

If you're hypothetical player won 8 titles in 20 years, where the talent level had diminished then I think you argue against him. For instance, Bill Russell, has 11 rings, was a player coach, considered the GOAT of defense by a good amount of people. Even though he's accomplished so much, and has the Finals MVP trophy named after him, he's never been in anyone's GOAT discussion that I've heard.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe.

Wha'cha gonna do about it? :p

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On a slightly more serious note, Michael Jordan is a mythology that basketball fans reinforce with one another. People who were watching in the 70s have their own pantheon of basketball greats -- they'll allow Jordan his respect, but they aren't quick to crown him the best ever. It'll be the same with the next generation. As Lebron James heads into the twilight of his career, a mythology will be formed around him by people who watched him when they were teenagers and who never really watched Jordan play (never mind Wilt Chamberlain or the other forefathers of basketball). If not Lebron, someone else. And we'll be the old guys trying to argue with the young whippersnappers about how the league today is watered down, and how Lebron or whomever could never survive in the 90s. But there will be too many of them and Jordan will fade to the back.

But Tom Chambers? No, he's not better than Jordan. C'mon.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I disagree. People that watched the NBA pre-Jordan all seem to acknowledge immediately that Jordan was the best. People that watched Jordan then saw Kobe, LeBron, Shaq, etc... generally maintain that Jordan was the best.

The people that missed out on MJ seem to want to crown Kobe or LeBron.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Probably. However, it depends on things like his shooting percentage and on if he could elevate his game in the play offs and in the clutch.

10. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I've never seen anybody come close to crowning Kobe / Lebron over MJ unless we're talking about hardcore stans. But I do agree there's a mythology effect with Jordan. I saw him play the 3rd threepeat with the Bulls and the man was not flawless, especially post 1996.

If you were to take THAT Jordan and swap him with current Lakers Kobe, we'd all be sitting here talking about how Jordan is an inefficient chucker rather than the leader who won 3 more rings.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Alot of the People who watch PRE JORDAN NBA

Draw comparisons to Oscar Robinson/Kareem/Magic/Bird etc
    as comparisons . . .
    They base it on the SIght test too . .and some stats

Rocket River

12. xaos

xaos Member

Because it is generally accepted by the mass of NBA fans that Jordan was the best, the majority of those people tend to only evaluate a player's potential to be the best by whether they do things that Jordan could or if they could do it better. Once people realize that there are other ways to be the best, it won't be so farfetched to see a player like Lebron passing Jordan. Before anyone thinks I am suggesting that Lebron has passed Jordan, the short answer is... I don't.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

^^^this is spot on

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I'll take Lebron or Duncan, they don't seem to punch their teammates.

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Jordan will be the Babe Ruth of basketball. Even alive, he's already a mythical figure.

16. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

I'd say No.

In my opinion, IF a player like that does come along they will always be compared to MJ. And if it's even a question, that player already lost. MJ is transcendent. Hell, people use the analogy "The Michael Jordan of..."

Even though the "Be Like Mike" generation of players is coming to an end, he's the first of his kind. A natural athlete who's fundamentally sound with the competitive fire to make Smokey the Bear run and hide.

...these off-season topics though.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody can ever be better than Michael Jordan. He is BY DEFINITION the best ever basketball player. How can you be better than the definition of the best? No way. Never.

The above concept is etched in most people's mind, consciously or subconsciously. So asking if anyone who can be better than Jordan is pretty much meaningless. It's like asking Einstein if anything can travel faster than light.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Jordan is here to stay

I don't think no matter what someone does they can eclipse MJ

MJ will go down the greatest player in basketball even 200 years from now

19. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Here is a visual representation of the differences in approach and execution in both Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.

Notice the difference in spacing and decision making.

MJ:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cn05ZJo53WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kobe:
    <blockquote class="twitter-video" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kobe Bryant (<a href="https://twitter.com/kobebryant">@kobebryant</a>) Be Likeā€¦
    FT: <a href="https://twitter.com/That_Guyy23">@That_Guyy23</a> <a href="http://t.co/f74DsGJJsi">pic.twitter.com/f74DsGJJsi</a></p>&mdash; B.A. (@BdotAdot5) <a href="https://twitter.com/BdotAdot5/status/628292321717518336">August 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hakeem was better. So, if that player can do Hakeem like stuff, then that player is my answer.