1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

To be a Texan...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
?

What qualifies are person as a Texan?

1. A person is a Texan if they are born in Texas.

27.3%
  2. A person is a Texan if they grew up in Texas.

48.3%
  3. Everyone can be a Texan! Yehaaaaw.

24.5%
  1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I guess its a Texas thing y'all wouldn't understand. Like Bum said, you just know it. You just feel it.

Can't really explain it any more than that.

I know a guy whose parents did the same thing. Unless we all know the same guy here, I think this speaks volumes about exactly what we're talking about.

For me, I'm at least a 4th generation Texan. And I'm damn proud of it.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Maybe.

I lived in Montana the first 7 years of my life. But technically I was born in Idaho. So I wouldn't qualify as one.

Thank God.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you feel your unique nation-state status in the Federal Union?

i lived in texas from '81 to '98. I never felt my unique nation-state status. :(

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What unique status?

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that's what I'm trying to figure out, too, Pun...

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The original controversy about the legality of the annexation of Texas stems from the fact that Congress approved the annexation of Texas as a territory with a simple majority vote approval. However, Texas was an independent republic before it was annexed, and Congress would need a 2/3 majority to annex another country. Because the 2/3 majority was virtually impossible, Congress annexed the state as a territory.
    Wikipedia.org

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You're ONLY a true die hard Texan if you were born and raised in this great state. Period.

Born and raised here, Texan. Transplant, you can call yourself a Texan but it's a lie.

8. Fatty FatBastard

We can only hope that an hispanic doesn't come in and discount our Texan Pride by saying we stole it from them...

Sorry, still extremely bitter that my "36er" name was taken down by Mexicans in Texas for the love of Christ.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Many people here mistakenly think that Texas has a special status that would allow us to secede from the union at some point since Texas was a former republic, but that's actually not the case. No more so than any other state. Though Texas does have the right to be broken up into 5 smaller states, but that ain't happening. :)

10. Lil Pun

Yeah, if that was the case wouldn't Hawai'i be eligible for the same? I have heard about the 5 states thing and I agree it will never happen.

11. Buck Turgidson

This is the correct answer.

12. no_answer

no_answer Member

I've been in Texas my whole life, so of course i'm a Texan. As far as everyone else goes... I say if they want to be one too they can. I can share. It's not a clique.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

:rolleyes:
    i wish i could remember the line from Gone Baby Gone. Detective Remy said something along the lines of, "You were born here, but i've been working these streets longer than you've been alive. So tell me, who's more Boston?"

like weslinder said, "Texan is a way of life. Many non-Texans were born in Texas. Some Texans were born elsewhere."

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

quoted for f-in TRUTH

Ive always loved that big ol' redneck, and that column was a thing of beauty.

Some people are born Texan in Texas, some of us had the bad fortune of having parents not living in Texas at the time.

I spent the first 6 months of my life in N Carolina, but got here as fast as I could....that was almost 42 years ago.

one of the most depressing parts of the hatred our pres has gathered from other places is that they think he is a Texan. :(

15. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Five generations minimum.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I thought he was talking about the myth about Texas being the only state that can legally secede. Technically any state can secede if they want to, but don't expect the rest of the country to just say goodbye.

17. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

You do know that many hispanics (mainly Tejanos) fought against Mexico in 1836. My biggest gripe with taking Texas History in school was the rare mention of how Tejanos played a part defeating Mexico.

18. Lil Pun

True dat.

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Definitely if you were born and raised here

Pretty much if you were born somewhere else and moved to Texas before you were 5. That would mean you really grew up in Texas

People that have lived here for a really long time and consider themselves Texans and think of Texas as the only place they want to live, then I guess you should call them Texans.

5th generation Texan, 3rd generation Houstonian

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I was born at Herman. Most of the stuff I know about Texas came from a monthly magazine one of the state's PR departments sends to public schools, Texas history, and King of the Hill (a lot of truth reflected in satire)... It was fun driving around Texas when my family moved and when I helped my sister move. Then again, there's "scary Texas", the places outside the interstate, that I'm not too fond of missing. Those places are few though, and most Texans are pretty friendly and helpful.

Not many people know the joys of Pecan Pie, Frito Pies, or chicken fried steaks in California. They also don't know the heaven that is Blue Bell ice cream.

Now that I've lived the other half of my life in California, it's hard to place which is better. I guess that makes me not a Texan, but I wouldn't mind too much moving back to Houston.