1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Anyone that Understands the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ban em' forever. Replace it with something progressive.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A bearded, hand-ground coffee Corps of Cads!!! I like it!

And whoever labeled me a TAMU-hater, Longhorn-lover, what have you. Not at all.

I like both schools equally, but have always kind of disdained the Corps so had to quip about them. (Mos def homoerotic though, amiright? Come on now.)

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I believe they are ROTC and when they go into their Junior year they decide to sign on with the military or not. Many do, most don't, I believe.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Remembered pretty much exactly what I said, but didn't care enough to remember my screen name. lol ok.

Not trying to call anyone out, but this is exactly the kind of thread that starts a dogpile on A&M's character.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, Juxtaposted Jolt, but that's a lot of typing for an old man like me. ;)

And I hear you, but the Corps is pretty odd. I remember them yelling at people about the grass or some such when I was considering going there. Was kind of a turn off.

Really great school though. Or I think highly of their sci and engineering at least. Cheers.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Every school has an ROTC. Not everyone in ROTC goes one to become an officer, but many do. A&M just has a huge and more life-involving ROTC that has produced many fine officers in the military. When something is that huge, there will also be some crappy members. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that whole group as animal hating when the school mascot, a dog, is also the highest ranking member of the Corps. Btw, imo, the Corps members who don't have a desire/capability to go on to become military officers are usually kind of just lost and lonely kids looking to belong to something. It's like a frat alternative.

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think a lot of what A&M does and the reputation it enjoys is worthy of acknowledgement and accolades. They absolutely have a great network of alumni, are excellent for a large variety of majors, produce successful graduates, foster very strong traditions, etc.

I think the only reason people "dogpile on A&M's character" for this is because a lot of Aggies are snobby about it. This is just my opinion, and I don't necessary think Texas-exes are much better, but I compare it to how baseball fans root for the Cardinal's to fail and enjoy it when they commit any sort of gaffe. If we hadn't been consistently berated with this "Cardinal Way" bullsh**, we'd just admire them for their excellence.

Same goes for the Aggies, I think. If they'd shut up about how much better they and their traditions are, we could just appreciate the institution for its merits.

Again, this is only my opinion and I don't mean to demean anyone's favorite team/school.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't know if it's that easy to dismiss it as "3 random kids." Apparently, it's 3 kids that are glorifying the "old days" when stuff like this was more normal in the corps.