1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT handles playoff broadcasts poorly

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheFreak, Apr 20, 2014.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Has this been brought up before? Every year it seems I'm missing almost the entire 1st quarter of games due to the TNT broadcast. This didn't seem to be a problem when they had the NCAA tournament, with games on 6 or so channels (TruTV, TBS, etc.). ESPN actually handles this situation by showing the start of games on its other stations. If this has already been addressed for this year and I missed it then I apologize.

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I don't think you're gonna anything tonight. TNT usually has some leeway to delay the start of games unless the first game goes WAY over (OT).

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

^^^ miss anything tonight

4. clippy

clippy Member

They need to just start replacing these Tyler Perry movies on TBS with that static snow that they can interrupt for these kinds of situations. Bonus side effect is that they'll get more viewers with the snow too.

5. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Every game I have recorded this year has missed the ending. I set the end time manually 30 minutes after program end, but still end up missing the last 2-3 minutes.

Last night was a good example. Game was set from 8:30-11:00. with a single OT the game ended at what 12:10?

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Set your DVR to record for 60 extra minutes...or 90.

7. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I have been, but should I have too? Games arent starting at oppointed times, a 8:30 game is tipping off between 8:40-8:50. With clock stoppage and everything else they need to extend their play window.

Last night, I set Inside the NBA to record after the game, our game ended 15 minutes after the 1hr long program scheduled after it. Ridiculous. I stayed up to watch it live, but I feel for those that cannot and only catch 65% of the game in the scheduled time.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's getting ridiculous. The culprit lies in the fact that the "game 1" of the doubleheader always starts 15 or 20 minutes after the scheduled start time.

ABC does it the right way. Tip just a minute or so after the scheduled start time. Games finish on time this way.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This happens all the time. ESPN has the luxury of being able to use ESPNEWS as a fallback. They can "cut in" at anytime to use that channel's services because their programming is 30 min junk shows.

TNT doesn't have that option. They can't break into TBS' lineup.

TNT does produce NBATV's digital services. I would like to see more synergy here, where NBATV could be used as the failover for TNT in these cases.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

They can, and have done it in years past.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the absolute worst was game 6 in 2009 - the game before went into double OT or something crazy and they cut into the Rockets game in the second half of what ended up to be the close out game. I was so furious I didnt get why TNT couldnt just start airing on TBS which was just running syndicated sitcoms at the time

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Yeah, technology is technology. Stuff happens.

But listening to Shaq and Barkley argue for 10 minutes was enough for me to change channels.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I honestly don't remember them doing this. Was that back when TBS was just a hodgepodge of different shows? I don't remember doing it while it was coordinated under their VeryFunny programming.

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Shaq gets too serious. Dude needs to chill.

I hate how adding Shaq takes away from EJ, Kenny, and Charles. It makes the show a lot less entertaining.

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

that sucked

16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

No kidding! Love Shaq on the court. Love Shaq goofing around. Love Shaq Shaqtin' a fool. But no love for him on that panel.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It's just something you gotta do if you want to make sure you don't miss anything. I normally extend 60 minutes and record inside the nba (or whatever is coming on after the game) that way there's no way I miss anything.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Barkley called him out though. You shouldn't do that on live TV. Sure, Shaq should have kept him calm, but there's no reason to call anyone out on live TV, unless you're in a presidential debate or something.

19. clippy

clippy Member

**** YOU TNT

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's on NBATV.