1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT/ESPN Analysts Gaining Interest in Coaching Job with Sixers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 3, 2010.

1. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

What do you guys think about these TNT analysts gaining interest in coaching jobs? Would they do a good job? Jeff Van Gundy and Avery Johnson most likely would, but what about Doug Collins and Mark Jackson? This is just a rumor, but it is likely one of them will land the job.

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Mark Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy and Avery Johnson don't work for TNT, they work for ESPN.

The only reasonable guys on TNT that I see being hired to coach an NBA franchise are Doug Collins, Kevin McHale and maybe Mike Fratello. I personally would love to see Sir Charles try to coach, LOL!

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Are they so desperate?

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i hope JVG never leaves broadcasting.

5. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

The ones I listed weren't but in the article they mentioned some TNT analysts. Sorry about that.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Mark Jackson is getting an offer... often when he talks tactics, it just sound like he's spewing cliche that don't actually reflect reality. I catch myself thinking "Mama, there goes that job" frequently when Jackson says something dumb.

2 people like this.
  7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I hope JVG stays in broadcasting but if he does go back to coaching I would like to see him end up somewhere that isn't a cellar-dwelling squad. I still think if coached Atlanta they would be good for 55+ wins and would give Orlando and Cleveland all they could handle in a seven game series.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ha! agreed.

he's not getting an offer though. he's getting an interview. his agent pushes really hard to get him in the door. it will never happen for him until he pays his dues as an assistant.

ewing tried to go straight to the head coach position, same for laimbeer. doesn't happen too often in the nba that way. if he was serious about coaching he'd accept an assistant position.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I thought that when JVG left the Rockets, he pretty explicitly said that he won't coach anymore. So I never understood these pitches for him, unless it's a genuine championship-level team, which the Sixers are obviously not.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would be happy for him to get a coaching job simply so he stops doing broadcasting work and they actually get JVG a good person to work with.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

JVG is going to make Brook Lopez one of the top big men in the game, if he should go.

Any person with no prior coaching experience would be stupid not to coach the Nets next season.

A high pick to go along with Harris, Lopez, CDR and Yi? Pretty dreamy.

12. thething

thething Member

The only thing that team will be dreaming of is who to pick in the draft lottery in 2011.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

To me, its hard to believe that they won't be competing for the 9th spot in the East.

I'm not suggesting they are making it to the 'offs next year, but they won't be pushovers like this year, if they pick the right player, and pick the right coach.

14. KePoW

KePoW Member

Mark Jackson would be a horrible coach, he just sounds clueless and dumb on TV.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He has told me he is not going back to coaching any time soon. My mother also knows his wife fairly well and she said they are not interested in moving for another coaching gig until their kids are done with school

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I like JVG alot.

As stubborn as he is on offense, he sure takes his occupations seriously. Most coaches would've taken up a coaching job for the nostalgia, but JVG just remains where he is, despite the amount of offers he is getting.

17. Kim

Kim Member

McHale got ran out of town after the Minnesota fiasco.
    JVG, Avery Johnson, and Doug Collins have decent to good coaching track records so it's not surprising that their names come up. Even if they were just assisting somewhere or sitting at home, their names would still come up. Mark Jackson rumors are smoke...similar to when Kenny Smith's name would come up from time to time.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I hope Avery Johnson gets one of these positions just to ensure that one of these teams: Bulls, Nets, or Sixers will stay at the bottom of the standings.

Also to show Rock4ever that he really isn't the greatest coach to ever live.

19. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

you were right, that other dude didn't read correctly.

20. Rover16

Rover16 Member

JVG is great as analyst and should never leave! I was not a fan of his coaching with the rockets. He should not go back to coaching as I fear for his health if he does. Too much stress and he never sleeps when he coaches. Being an analyst is zero stress for him and all he has to do is talk about basketball.