1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmo blows

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yadnom, Dec 28, 2001.

1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I have probably missed two games all season and I am at a total loss how these kinds of emotions can be galvanized against Tmo. I said it yesterday and Jeff mentioned it. It is purely a confidence issue. He was one of our better players in the preseason and based on that plus he stellar play otherwise, we need to give him time. I am going to continue to have patience. In addition, he is purely doing what our accomplished players, like Rice, were doing earlier.

Earlier in the season, I had gotten real frustrated with Griffin taking all those 3's and wondering why Rudy T was allowing and why Mooch kept passing to him out there. What I did not know was he was doing it frequently in practice as Mobes later reported. I believe that in practive Tmo is consistently showing Rudy reason why he should be getting the minutes that he has been getting.

2. Band Geek Mobster

If I remember correctly, Tmo actually had more success in the preseason playing PF. Maybe he could be better used in a Jerome Williams kind of way...I mean Tmo works hard and stuff, but he's Shandon Anderson all over again. The only difference is that Tmo can rebound and block an occasional shot, but he's still a liability on offense.

Drafting Tmo was extremely stupid if you ask me, we needed a center, we didn't need yet another small forward...

Currently Tmo's best positions are at SF and PF. He's our 4th best player at each spot so I don't see where the hell he's going to be able to do anything.

It's getting kind of obvious that Rudy will never use his SF as anything more than a 3 point shooter, so I don't see Tmo doing much on the offensive side, which really sucks...

Also I don't know what makes you guys think he can shoot, his shot has looked awful more than it's looked decent...

Does anyone have his college stats?

Is that where you guys think he can shoot?

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

It is all in the form! He's got it. He needs confidence.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

How can you say that?

It's obvious that Morris is doing something in practice that Langhi isn't. And since all Rudy has allowed him to do is to shoot from the outside, he must be shooting better than Langhi from outside.

And shooting is supposed to be Langhi's strong point.

From what we have seen in the games, Morris is also the superior defender and rebounder...

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

This is from the Terps site:
    00-01

FG-43%
    3FG-29%
    FT-80%
    PPG-12.2
    RPG-7.7
    APG-2
    SPG-1
    BPG-2.2
    Fouls/g-2.6
    TO/G-1.8

Much more impressive are his 99-00 stats:
    FG-49%
    3FG-37%
    FT-76%
    PPG-15.8
    RPG-8.6
    APG-2.4
    SPG-1.6
    BPG-2.1
    Fouls/G-2.6
    TO/G-2.8

6. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

BGM, I have been trying to get to the preseason numbers but I was not able to find it. The following came from this site draft recap:

A silky stroke from the perimeter, fluid movement without the ball and tough defense are what scouts talk about when they mention Morris. At 6'9", he has plenty of size to play the three on the NBA level and should be good enough to defend. He can knock down the three with consistency as well.

The stroke is still smooth and it is just that the shots have not been falling. Again per 48min, Tmo is the team 4th best rebounder and assist to turnover player. These are also critical area for the team and Rice and Williams do not provide that. So again lets us be patient.

7. Dm324

Dm324 Member

He isnt a bust because he was a secound rounder, but I sometimes question why we gave up a first, not a secound rounder to get him

8. Hydra

Hydra Member

From the college three? :eek:

9. Mobes05

Mobes05 Member

we cant cut him cuz we can trade him. it wud b the dumbest thing 2 make franchise upset w./out gettin return

10. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I dont think we should play him for the rest of this year except for small minutes at the end of decided games but once the season is over, the rockets staff should fully commit themselves to making him into a player. He has a good foundation that just needs to be built upon.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

That makes alot of sense. Let's try to make him a better player at the end of the year when we have a chance to give him some much needed experience while we are not doing very well.

Oh I get it. You are scared that other teams will offer him a big contract at the end of the year and we would not be able to match it when he starts hitting his shots.

12. Tmo

Tmo Member

Tmo is short-arming his shots. That's all. He's rebounding, passing, and playing defense well, he just needs a couple games where he goes 3-5 or so. As others have said, the problem with his shooting is not one of hand-eye coordination of form, but one of confidence, which ought to come in time. Though some of the more shrill posts in this thread seem not to acknowledge this.

As far as not using first rounders on role players, there are only 5-10 players in each draft who could ever become more than that. The philosophy of saving 1st rounders for potential superstars is to me an incoherent one.

Go Tmo!!

13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

TMo SUCKS! I mean, who the hell was he passing to? It went right to the Lakers under their basket!

He's like a dumber version of Shandon Anderson!

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bullard is better than Terrence Morris. This guy sucks!