1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac vs Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Who would you rather play?

1. Ariza

69 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Tmac

194 vote(s)
    73.8%
  1. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

I don't know how a person who watches every game would actually comment that T-Mac looked slower in his limited minutes than he did last season. He was absolutely terrible last season, there were games he could barely get up the floor.

He was moving MUCH better from what I saw than anytime he did last season. Its ok to have an agenda to attack him in every thread, but when you start spouting stuff that's not right just to support your argument, it just makes it even more flawed.

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

If you are going to compare two players, then you are going to have to at least keep the sample sizes relatively similar. 30 games at 38 minutes per is way more than 6 games at 7 minutes per. That is why people will compare Ariza's current stats to McGrady's stats last year.

I think he looks better movement wise in all aspects of his game. You might not remember him so much last year, but all I can see is Ray Allen (he's no speedster) just blowing past him at will. No jabstep, no fake, no nada. Just saw McGrady and went. This year, he can at least keep up. He might be rusty and he might not be all the way back yet, but he is lightyears ahead of how he was last season.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He looks SLOW this year too.....have you watched him try to keep up on the break or guard a guy on the perimeter.

Just because he looks SLOW does not mean he is not faster this year....just not fast enough to beat anyone out.

And to repeat..because it is so poinent.

;)

Now, agreed it is a very small sample size, but......are you saying he could NEVER play well in a small sample size?

Because there are tons of cases of players doing well in short stints.....just look at Chase Budinger this year, Von Wafer last year, Carl Landry his first year....

They earned more time by playing well in short bursts, why is that so hard for Tmac's fans to understand...if he was playing well...he would have EARNED more time.

DD

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RA, the Sun God, doesn't coach the Houston Rockets.
    Rick the Ruler does.

Well for 23 million bucks, a guy who doesn't play more than 8 minutes, whines about playing time, and misses a bunch of games.

I'll take Ariza who gets paid significantly less, plays better defense and is healthy.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Really? Extrapolating 7 minutes per game into 48 minute per game stats?

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Makes as much sense at the op comparing last year's stats to this years....

DD

7. Mr. Clutch

So your argument makes no sense then.

8. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

this makes a lot of sense. but you stats didnt.. that was what i was trying to say..

and you can add DA to the list of ppl who earned PT.. I like his skill set you know :)

and my point is.. his PT should have been flexible instead of rigid.. he should have played more in that game against clippers.

but yes.. there are two ways of lookin at that.. 1) RA is working him back 2) Its a showcase..

9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

NO NO NO it doesn't. NO NO NO NO. You just can't do that. There is no world or universe where you might be able to draw any tangible conclusion from deriving per 48 minute statistics from a guy playing 7 minutes a game for 6 games.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It makes the same amount of sense as the ops does...comparing a team with Yao Ming playing and the numbers generated to this year's team and the numbers generated.

You can determine for yourself how relevent it all is....

Which is EXACTLY my point.

Still have not heard ONE guy say why Tracy could not have played better in his short stints when other players throughout the league have earned more time by playing well.

DD

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes yes yes you can...same as trying to compare stats from a completely different team from a year ago to this one.

They are both equal in evidence.

DD

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Ariza doesn't whine because he is free to jack up any shot at any time, and stats say that ariza does not play d much better than mcgrady.

But if we are going to be objective about it and not throw terms like ball stopper cancer etc. and look at the numbers which everyone here praises morey for, how is Ariza better.

Back it with some numbers instead of just anecdotes.

13. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

so both the OP's and your stats dont make any sense? agreed?

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Exactly my point.

DD

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

TMac has not EARNED his minutes yet. Why should he get more playing time? Just because TOF want him to have a better stats? In last year, the team played different style because of Yao, how could be the comparison of Ariza's current stats to McGrady's last year more reasonable than to compare them both in this year in the same team? Your guys are unbelievable.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many minutes did Tracy play last game?

I can't find those numbers?

Objectively?

Healthy Young players with CHAMPIONSHIP EXPERIENCE:
    [​IMG]

vs

Non Healthy older players who get paid 4 times more.

17. abtguy

abtguy Member

Your delusional man did you see him play against the clippers? I mean what more do you need to see from a guy who has got 7 minutes a game a triple double??? I mean he did have 10 pts and 3 assists in 7 minutes so that sample size shows you enough. We all know you want T-mac's career to end, but its not going to end just because you sit on your computer all day fantasizing about it.

18. Mr. Clutch

That wasn't your point initially, but you are correct your argument made no sense.

19. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

He didn't play POORLY though. He showed more intensity defensively than he did anytime last season, and never disrupted the offense. We all know he's a rythm, or in the flow player, it's different comparing the situations between he, and rookies like Budinger and Anderson. I know he might as well be a rookie, but I know you understand that point I'm trying to make.

He only played poorly in that Orlando game, where he looked lost defensively against the pick and roll, and inability to recover because of too much doubling down low.

He had the ten point game against the Clippers, had he gone out trying to get those statistics, or even greater in every game, then you'd be the same person to complain that he's a stat w****, and doesn't care about the team/ball stopper on offense.

Look, could he have played better? Yes, anyone could have played better in any game. Did he hurt us when he was on the floor? No, he wasn't, and had his moments where he looked very good, and other times when he looked not so good.

I have still not seen you address any post discussing how you can PROVE that T-Mac didn't play hard, just like I can't legitimately prove he didn't play poorly. He's six games off MICROFRACTURE surgery, has guarded the likes of Melo, and Dirk already, done a solid job, and manage to hit some shots, and get some assists, while as usual showing sound ball-handling with no turnovers. I mean I don't know what you're expecting from him in seven minutes every game. He just gets so highly scrutinized, one bad play in an entire game overweighs everything else he does in your mind. And then considering the sort of crap play Ariza has put up, Budinger being injured, Taylor/Harris not being large contributors, there's a greater argument for giving McGrady more minutes than giving him less.

He can only get better, or we can only see more with more minutes. That's also why this whole thing may not be a showcase, because frankly, if a team wants to trade for not only the expiring contract, but taking a chance on T-Mac the PLAYER, then they'd want to see how he handles more minutes.

20. caneks

caneks Rookie

Ariza has the freedom to take more shots even he is 1-10 because it is a developing process while the team is wining. Would you prefer the same developing process for TMac? lol