1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Tmac to have surgery tomorrow

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ibm

ibm Member

stop preaching. an average joe who probably is making not even $100k a year expressing pity or sympathy to a multi-millionaire who is just going to have a minor surgery is laughable - no matter how you slice and dice it.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Did I really ignore it?

And no I don't get the rationale.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rationale is that he's not really in that bad of a situation.
    feeling sorry has a degree, if you are a poor kid in rwanda, let's give that 10.

if you are tmac having knee surgery

the feeling sorry degree for you maybe 8, but for some of us, its 1.

4. scalper

scalper Member

I feel sad for him... that this may be the end of the road for him...

I dont feel sorry for him because has had it good in the NBA

and he is still young and rich... and he has a family

I do feel sorry for 29000 children who die everyday... because of lack of food water or proper medical attention....

who probably would give anything to live in our shoes... let alone Tmacs...

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Is it because we are just jealous human beings because he is far wealthier than we are? Why should wealth matter when feeling sorry for somebody? It's an injury. It's not like he came out in the media and said "I need to feed my kids". Wouldn't you want someone to tend to you if you've had surgery? Human beings love affection from others (or at least most human beings who don't have some weird mentality).

6. ibm

ibm Member

if i were jealous of him and all the other wealthy people, i'd probably wish something bad happen to them. but i don't.

on the other hand, if warren buffett has lost $5 billion since this economic crisis started, i'm not gonna feel anything for him.

wealth matters because even if you are going to have a minor surgery, your well-being is still guaranteed while many poor people die every second as we speak for poor minimum living conditions.

in mcgrady's case, it's not like he won't be able to walk again or anything remotely close to that.

bottom line is, if you feel for the guy, feel free. but i don't. that doesn't mean you're on a higher morale ground. so stop preaching.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Grow up. T-Mac's going to get the best medical treatment that money can buy, mainly because he's going to buy it. That doesn't even compare to people who are so poor that they can't afford medicine in the first place.

So maybe I feel a tiny, insignificant smidgen of compassion for T-Mac. But compared to homeless kids living in a dump it is so tiny that it might as well not even exist.

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

T-Mac's suffering isn't in the same ball park as some homeless kid living in a dump. It's not even in the same solar system. He's going to go home every night and lie down in clean sheets and a warm bed.

Feel sorry for him? I can't tell if I do, because any compassion I might feel for him is about a billionth the size of what I feel for people who are truly hard up.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

did anyone see or hear the presser?

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I don't think he's preaching that you have to feel sorry for McGrady. I think he was addressing some of the other less-humane comments.

Is McGrady rich? Yes. Should you feel sorry for him? Not necessarily. Should you celebrate the fact that he's hurt? Probably not. Just as some have felt the need to do so, he can express his distaste with it.

Call it a blessing in disguise if you are glad that he has taken himself out of the lineup, because I think that's what most people mean. It just doesn't come across that way too often.

Bringing starving children into it is a bit overkill no?

11. scalper

scalper Member

well these guys were trying to make a distinction because Tmac was rich means we sould still feel sorry for him....

only logical to bring in a poor persons perspective as best we can...

having no food water, medical attention... rates higher on the scale...

then a athelete... who probably knew as most atheletes do that you will have nagging injuries when you retire...

its the sacrifice you make for the glory and possible fortune in your sport...

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Oh please. How much have YOU done for poor people in your neighborhood or city lately? Don't bring that self righteous tripe in here. At least the man who is the object of your hatred has gone out of his way to help people who are less fortunate than he is. He's a human being who has gone through more pain than many of us ever have, in spite of his wealth. His circumstances are unfortunate. There is no law that demands mutual exclusivity of compassion for the poor and rich -- it only exists in the mind of jealous self-loathers.

13. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Nope. They're the ones talking about "showing compassion to other human beings".

McGrady's a multi-millionaire. Even if his career is over he's set for life. Like it or not there's a real difference between laughing at somebody who's rich and famous and laughing at the poorest of the poor.

So far as this board goes, a "blessing in disguise" pretty much sums it up. The Rockets are better off without T-Mac so regardless of what his motive really is the fact that he's gone means things worked out in the end.

14. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Are you nuts? Did he come down with terminal cancer or something in between press conferences?

Again, I don't hate the guy. But feel sorry for a guy with a minor medical condition who a) lives in luxury and b) is going to get the best medical treatment money can buy? Grow up.

15. ibm

ibm Member

and you know that how?

"self-righteous"? who is using terms such as "jealous self-loathers"?

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Best news in a while, he should've gotten it earlier so we would've had a better record. In response to the apology, I don't care if he means it, I just hope from a human being to another that he will get his life together and really turns it around. He's never had to work hard because he just used his God given talent but never took fully advantage of it, he was just a slacker. Hope for him that changes but like DD said, I do not want to see him in a Rockets uniform ever again. The relationship is over because we've been through enough with him, it's time to move on.

17. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

just curious if next time yao gets injured, should i expect that you come here and tell us you have no compassion for yao either cause he's a multi-millionaire?

and you didn't bring up this blessing in disguise when yao was injured last year and we played arguably better without him too.

just admit your bias.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He had people very close to him die for several years in a row, I do not recall how many. He went through excruciating pain with his back injuries. We don't know how much pain he went through with this knee injury. He lives with the stigma of being perpetually labeled a failure and a wasted talent in spite of how much he has tried. He's about to undergo a surgery that could end his career. I may not be as fortunate or wealthy as he is, but I certainly feel blessed that I have never had to go through the type of things he's gone through. And God forbid I should ever have an injury that prevents me from doing the things I love to do like playing the piano or writing computer programs. He has contributed much to this team and to this city during his career here, and he deserves well wishes even if for that alone. Some of the hatred I see around here is just sickening.

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

and some of yall are actually Rockets fans. Get rid of McGrady get rid of McGrady. Von Wafer is better than McGrady. All this nonsense I'm reading. Are yall fans?? LOL i swear if your a "fan" yall sure aren't acting like it. A fan would root for the man to recover 100% and hope he is ready for next season. Some of you bash him like he is trash. He damn sure is better than Von Wafer. Basically better than any wing player on this team when Healthy.

I wonder how this board was when Yao went out year after year. smh its sad :( :( . I wonder if people were saying play Jackie Butler. He is better than Yao. Start Butler over Yao. :rolleyes:

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No, I didn't feel sorry for Yao. I didn't feel sorry for Amare or Jason Kidd or C-Webb. Are you guys 12 years old or what? They're multi-millionaires. There's plenty of ordinary people with ordinary salaries who have much more serious problems.

And this year there's no question that the Rockets are better without T-Mac. They're at .57 with him and .71 without him. It's not even close.