1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac recovery time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jedicro, May 13, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, he is not.

DD

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Talent and pure skill wise he is up there with Kobe. Lebron is in a class all by himself. Work ethic and the will-to-win is what sets Kobe apart Tmac.

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

All I care about is efficiency, and Tmac is not even close to those 2.....he can run and jump high (when healthy) but he is more of a volume scorer than they are....

Especially Lebron.

DD

4. Rocket_chn

Rocket_chn Member

he's not a good playmaker in my mind,
    he always plays in his own way
    the serious is that his mentality is so bad,
    he cannot get the scores at crucial moment
    in fact,i really hope he can fight like a warrior
    but he can't
    DW,He left me a very good impression
    the time when he was injured he sticked to fighting
    even though he could not win the game
    it's enough
    TMac,when he's injured
    he alwalys found some reasons to refuse to play like this season
    i am not a TMac HATER,but he disappointed me completely

no matter how, i hope he get well soon

5. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

This is not a bashing TMac post just stating my opinion.

First I would agree with the Tmac to Jordan and Kobe comparison. I have stated this a couple times on here, that I had a conversation with my father about who was better Tmac or Kobe. This was Tmac first year in Orlando before the injuries and I said that I thought Tmac was more skilled but Kobe was better because of the heart and drive he had.

Secondly, I actually think TMac has always played off his skill. I'm pretty sure when he was younger he worked on his game because everyone had to then, but I think somewhere along the line he stopped. I don't know TMac personally so I'm just assuming, but if you look at Jordan when he lost a step he developed a post-up game that no one could stop. Heck even Kobe has put a post-up game in his arsenal.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but TMac has always relied strictly on his long range shooting and his athletic ability to get to the rim. Nothing wrong with that but over time age and wear&tear of the body will catch up with you, especially a guy who is always hurt. So I feel like he should have been working on a post up game in the off season. And not the post up game where he catches the ball mid range then turn and shoot a jump shot. I'm talking about on the block post up with a fade away then when that is perfected he should develop an up&under move when the defender bites on the fade away.

With that said I still would welcome him back I don't care if he only averages 16ppg, as long as he plays with heart and passion like the rest of the team.

6. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

it would be a big surprise if he isn't back at the beginning of next season. it would be an even bigger surprise if he doesn't come back as a 18-4-4 guy or better.

reasons:

1. the cartilage damage was small.
    2. the spot was on a non weight bearing part.
    3. it's still more than 5 months until the new season starts.
    4. him working hard to recover is a given because if he doesn't he'll have to live with this bum knee for the rest of his life.
    5. he doesn't want to go down like this.
    6. he wants a new contract.
    7. he was a 15-4-5 guy even when he played injured and had no fun.

7. ThaBlackKnight

The Rockets doctors have lost a lot of credibility the last few years...I wouldn't trust that team too much. They are looking out for $$$ and W's first, before the players health.

They told Tmac to "just play through it, it will get better"...well obviously, it didn't get better, it got worse. The man was getting his jumpshot blocked, and he couldn't get any lift off his left leg anymore.

He probably should've had microfracture surgery after the 07-08 season.

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

He should have done that. He refused, though. Why? Because the team got Ron and it was really a great chance to finally win something.

But doctors told him that even if he didn't undergo the surgery, the knee would get better while playing. As you said it didn't. It even got worse. And at one point T-Mac realized he just can't play because we all saw how he was playing.

9. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

At this point we have to hope that the guy gets as healthy as he has been in a couple of years because I have a feeling we will have a hard time trading him for anything of real value. Tracy, when healthy, is a good player. I just hope he realizes that he isn't TMac anymore and probably won't ever be again.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

talent-wise, he is. i think most analysts and commentators have repeatedly pointed that out.

his work ethic isn't as good as them, and injuries derailed his career.

11. ThaBlackKnight

He said "Talent wise" Tmac is in the same class as Kobe and Lebron.

He passes just as good as Lebron and better than Kobe

He is a willing passer.

He can rise up over any defender and knock down a pull up 3 or a mid range jumper.

He has a fadeaway jumper

He has a decent post up game, still better than Lebron in this department.

He can cross people over and get to the rim.

He has a very quick first step.

He's longer than both of them.

He can finish at the rim with a dunk or a layup.

He is one of the best at finishing with his off hand.

He can bring the ball up and run the offense if needed.

He can take the last shot of a quarter or game, and get you a quality shot.

What can those guys do on a TALENT BASIS that Tmac can't do??

I agree he is not as efficient as them since 2003, but he is just as TALENTED. There is a difference between EFFICIENT and TALENT.

There are very few players are as talented as Kobe, Dwayne Wade and Lebron. This short list includes:

Brandon Roy, Paul Pierce, Kevin Durant, Joe Johnson, Carmello Anthony (scoring-wise) and Tracy McGrady. They are not all as efficient as Kobe, Dwade, and Lebron, but thats why they are not in the top 3 players in the NBA.

But talent-wise only, Tmac is as every bit as good as those guys when he is heallthy, no doubt in my mind about that. Ask any NBA coach, player, or GM. Why did they continue to double team him, even when he was playing bascially on one leg?? Thats how much resepct NBA teams still give him, because they know how talented he is. Unfortunately, injuries have kept him from sustaining his 2000 to 2007 form.

You'd have to be a fool not to want a player with this much talent back...if you get rid of him, you better get equal or close to equal talent back in return, and with his injuries and contract, that aint happening, so might as well keep him and see how he does for one last year.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

during his best season, he had the highest PER out of any perimeter player since MJ. lebron just beat it the past few years and we all know lebron is not only a once in a decade player, he's a once in a 50 year type of player; he's a beast.

injuries really destroy his style of play and tracy has to start adjusting his game if he wants to be more efficient. but he's "efficient" enough when he's healthy DD, not lebron/kobe style, but enough.

what u want? joe johnson? ;)

13. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

WIN :D

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Talent wise...isn't work ethic a part of talent? Isn't leadership a part of talent?

Tmac....at his best....was NEVER as good as the best, he falls short in so many important categories.

Tmac is a great athlete, but as talented as Kobe and Lebron?

ROFLMAO !!!

DD

15. hamly456

hamly456 New Member

waiting.....and a new Tmac... :p

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I heard he will go to CBA and try to score 50 points a game so that he can be the "public icon" which he enjoys more than playing basketball itself.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Tmac was favoring the knee, that was very obvious. He could have made it worse himself. If you favor a joint that you're suppose to be using to get it's strength back, you can unconsciously twist, stretch, shorten, etc. the joint as you favor it. It could feel better to you that way in the short term, but you're really risking further injury by changing the natural position of the joint.

Also, part of why he was advised to play through it was because this surgery could be career ending. Why would you skip to a possibly career ending surgery when there's a chance you can just rehab yourself back? Unfortunately tmac's chance was smaller than they thought and didnt work out.

18. bigjj

bigjj Member

forget about him! we do establish a new team! come on! warriors!!!

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The greatest fallacy in the "legacy of T-Mac" is that he is anything like Kobe in terms of talent.

T-Mac isn't a shooter. Kobe is a good shooter. He can hit shots on the move, on the spin, the fadeaway, etc. T-Mac is Flip Murray plus basketball IQ.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

remember the problems we had earlier in the year? yao, t-mac, and artest could not all co-exist. that's going to be the same problem next season, especially with t-mac less athletic than before.