1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac recovery time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jedicro, May 13, 2009.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

I've been wondering what exactly we can expect on how long it will be till he returns. I've heard some say it takes a year to recover from this surgery, others think he may be able to make it for camp next fall.

What typically is the recovery window for this injury? If he works his tail off (a big if granted, but I think he wants to make it back) could he make it by October or at least before January?

Obviously there's the chance that hes completely done as a Rocket, I recognize that. But him being on the bench does not help us, and I think our best chance next year is having a player like McGrady who can take the pressure of Yao and Artest who at times aren't great at creating for themselves.

Thanks, and if this has been discussed ad nauseum (I haven't seen anything recently) then please direct me.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he will be back by the first month of the year, if not earlier. reports have said he's training 6-8 hours a day and it's not on his knee yet. if he keeps this level of commitment for the next 4 months, he will be ready.

hopefully he plays well and we can trade him for something good.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Not sure about his knee but his heart is incurable.

4. lowell_jyb

lowell_jyb New Member

he has a woman's heart :D

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's a big gap..

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

John Stockton had the same surgery in the same area and was back playing basketball in under 3 months.

So, there is hope that he might be ready by training camp....I mean that is 8 months post OP.

DD

7. rocketsmetalspd

Dude this is TMac. It is said that it would take a year to get ready. So, next February 2010. I just can't see him being on the team by then. I am hopefull he will be traded in next years trading deadline.

8. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

End of thread..... For real.

T-mac will probably comeback around the trade deadline or January. He might fake an injury so he can stay in Houston though. That's a possibility, doubt it though.

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

Are there any other cases where a player came back from that surgery that quickly?

I'm not sure trading him is a great option. Expirings are good, but when its that big it means we're gonna have to take on a lot of junk for any team to sign off on it. Unless we can somehow pull what Denver did with AI for Chauncey, but I wouldn't count on that.

Regardless thats not the point. Frankly, I would root for a comeback story for McGrady so that we can see what this team could have been.

10. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

He ain't no John Stockton.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Not gonna lie. After tonight, I kinda miss the guy. :(

12. cuddie

cuddie Member

Women tend to have pretty big hearts, so I'm not sure if you're trying to be pro-Tmac or just failing horribly at sexism-infused Tmac hate.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It was on the better side of the knee so he should be back earlier. As DD said, Stockton was back in 2 months, so 8 for McGrady should be enough.

14. rocketsmetalspd

If the Clippers are sucking again next season. I would trade TMac for Camby and Kaman.

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

Thanks DD.

Historically, what have average times for this recovery been like? 6-12 months?

16. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

The same John Stockton, that was considered possibly the smartest player in the league ever? The same John Stockton that had a Brain, Heart, motivation and desire to win and play basketball?

Tracy doesn't fit in any of those areas.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We could have used t-mac(and Yao) tonight...

...what could have been

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It varies wildly, from never making it back ...Allan Houston, to 2 and 1/2 months...John Stockton.

The hope for Tmac is that it was on the non-weight bearing portin and was a very small spot....

So, for the sake of him as an asset for a trade or whatever...I hope he makes it all the way back.

DD

19. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

*Sigh.*

Yet another quality thread turned into a TMac bash thread.

He'll be back probably around the start of training camp, or the start of the season.

The question is, will he play like Amare Stoudemire, or will his game not be at 100%?

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

Well since this thread has essentially become a Tmac bash fest I might as well ask. Who here would actually support Tmac coming back and playing and being a part of this team next year if he was serious about playing hard?

For me its no question. If he comes back in shape and healthy there would be no way I would even hesitate about wanting him.