1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac or Barkley. Who was the better Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 11, 2017.

?

Who was the better Rocket, Tmac or Barkley?

1. Tmac

83.3%
  2. Sir Charles

16.7%
  1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just quoting for truth.

Also, one guy quit on the Rockets, the other just wants his $3million dollars.

33 rebounds on debut. Have mercy! Still can't believe we didn't win a championship in Sir Charles time here - that lockout season killed our old guys.

Patience and RudyTBag like this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

"If Barkley played in today's NBA he probably wouldn't even make an NBA roster"??????

Young man......put the freakin crack pipe down because it's fryin your brain.

This has got to be one of THE most IGNORANT comments I've ever come across on Clutchfans.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

barkley trying to remember right now last time klay thompson had 17 assists. fuking lenny

4. caneks

caneks Rookie

I wonder who still remember TMac?
    Barkely earned his reputation in NBA. TMac, for not passing the first round? Some fans remember his scoring title....in Orlando, with low 40% FG.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, anybody who actually watched him play in his prime and isn't just reading stats off of a website will know that description is accurate.

3.9 assists a game (you read the wrong row on the table). But comparing assists per game between players who played totally different in their respective team's offensive schemes makes no sense. Barkley was one of the best passers out of the low block. Not taking anything away from McGrady, who was a brilliant passer as a wing player.

The league TS% in the 90s was low, and his TS% was always higher than league average -- significantly higher up until his last couple seasons. And if you really want to criticize him for his TS%, have you even looked at Hakeem's? He was a prolific mid-range shooter ("horrible shots"). That was the way the game was played back then. And why are you even bringing up TS% as a debate point with respect to McGrady, who's efficiency was below league average every year with the Rockets, and overall was a pretty abysmal 50.6% as a Rocket?

As for Barkley not getting to the free throw line enough. Huh!? He averaged over 8 FTA/g for his career, which is like top 20 all time!

I never offered an opinion on whether I think Barkley would be a superstar today. The game has changed quite a bit, so I can't answer that question. I know he was a highly skilled player for his time and a remarkable rebounder for his stature. I mean even in his last season, battling injuries, he still had an 18.9 TRB%.

The question of this thread -- who was the greater Rocket -- the answer is clear to me. McGrady was probably a top 10 player for us for a couple of those seasons, so on that basis I'd have to go with him, even if I was happy to see him go by the end.

#45 durvasa, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. JaceMan da SpaceMan

Brockley fat rocket

Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. Vivid

Vivid Member

Wouldn't make a roster? We got 6'6 PJ Thicc-er out here checking Cousins, I'd take prime Barkley off the bench.
    Second unit would be lit!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok. Then I would say I take Barkley advancing in the Playoffs.

Tmac's Houston Playoff numbers were much better but they came in the first round unfortunately.

I'd still take both though if I could. Both were much better in their primes. Tmac got one prime year in Houston. Barkley did not.

#48 daywalker02, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McGrady never took the Rockets past the first round of the playoffs.
    We were swept by Seattle the year before, we got Barkley, we finally beat them.
    Real Rockets fans who know how bad we matched up against the Sonics understand this

McGrady ushered the new era of the PLAYER ONLY FANS who joined Clutchfans

In 1999, Nobody joined because of Pippen
    All of the brotherhood joined for the purest reason, being a Rockets fan

Not only did Barkley do more as a Rocket in such a short period, he's a better analyst than Tmac regardless of what he says about the Rockets
    Nobody cares what people on the Jump say, they are slightly more important than Max Kellerman and Stephen A Smith

Rocket River likes this.
  10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I forget what exactly he said, but I remember it being a little shady... He was clearly mentally checked out with the Rockets by that point. McGrady definitely had some unnecessary s*** going on in his head, but honestly, can you blame him? The guy's career was obliterated with injuries, AND the few times when he was healthy, and it looked like this might finally be his year, his co-star (be it Grant Hill or Yao Ming) always went down with a major injury. There were like two total exceptions in his entire career, and in one of those, his 3rd option was Luther Head. Among NBA superstars, Tracy McGrady had quite possibly the very worst overall luck of anyone I can remember. That shizz takes a toll on you mentally. Look at Derrick Rose now...

But when he was healthy and motivated (and especially when he had lift on his jumper), he was a beast. And you're completely nuts if you don't think a healthy Rockets team even "had a shot" in 2008. That was the best basketball I had seen in ages. I love this current team, but they looked even better than we've looked so far this year (though I expect us to continue to improve). 22 straight wins, ten straight by double-digits, nine without Yao and several other injuries, everybody was playing with their hearts on their sleeves, we had post up players, 3-pt shooters, game-changing defense, high-IQ and well-paced offense. It was the 2009 team, except replace the overrated chucker Artest with a [somewhat] healthy McGrady. That team was definitely going the distance if they were healthy. Their starting lineup was eviscerated by playoff time, and they still took the Jazzholes to six games and came within one game of the first seed in the west, IIRC.

#50 SuperMarioBro, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

James. Harden.

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know how people romanticized the Tmac era, we got some of the worst offenses in NBA history, we got some epic playoff loses AT HOME, we got coaches fired, we got a dude who was dogging his teammates while they were still playing in the playoffs!

We got Yao Only Fans blaming Tmac Only Fans, Clutchfans was a civil war of fake fans.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutchfans has gotten dumb, Rockets history and now NBA history has been lost.

It's just a sign of the times, I mean you have completely stupid fans getting angry about boxing analysts talking about the nba.

Humanity going backwards

14. tinman

Supporting Member

The Tmac Era was worst than the Texans .
    At least the Texans won a playoff round

Think about how bad it was, you have a super hyped basketball team and you continuously lose in the first round
    then your best player gets dumped and he bounces around the league looking to ride coattails to a title
    then you go to china and you can't even get that team to the playoffs... CHINA

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I would probably go with Barkley, although I can see why some would say T-Mac.

The only thing that is an absolute certainty is that any post by @tinman in a thread involving T-Mac is like an automatic disqualification.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

I see dumb people all the time , people drive the wrong way on one way streets, people who take Max Kellerman seriously, etc

I am 100% right. No playoff series victories vs Western Conference Finals

I guess if you love being a pretender and not a contender, Tmac era was the renaissance for player only fans

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    That said I never liked the Barkley Trade
    I never liked the TMac trade
    Gave up too much in both of them . . . .

Still feel I was right in both of them . . ..

Rocket River
    Yea. . I'm Stubborn

tinman likes this.