1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac: I think we have found ourselves.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Jan 26, 2008.

1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Led by newest member Tracy McGrady, Houston's reserves carried the Rockets to victory.

McGrady had 15 points, Carl Landry added 12 points and eight rebounds and the Rockets stopped the Portland Trail Blazers' home-winning streak with an 89-79 win Friday night.

"It's a great tribute to our group ... I think we've found ourselves." McGrady said.

Brandon Roy had 16 of his 23 points in the first half for the Blazers, who had won 12 straight at the Rose Garden. Portland made just seven of 30 shots (23.3 percent) in the second half.

Yao Ming started slowly for the Rockets but had 11 points and 10 rebounds for his 26th double-double of the season. Luis Scola had 11 points and 12 rebounds for Houston, which has won its last three and nine of 11.

McGrady led the way, despite missing his season average by seven points. But he was far from alone. The Rockets bench players outscored the starters 55-34 and all five reserves who played scored at least eight points.

LaMarcus Aldridge had 14 points and Travis Outlaw had 13 for Portland, which was outrebounded 48-30 and had its lowest scoring third quarter (12) , lowest scoring second half (29) and lowest shooting percentage (35.7 percent) of the season.

The Blazers were playing for the eighth time in 14 days, with the first seven games coming on a season-long road trip.

"We're not going to blame this on fatigue," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said. "Every team in the league plays the same number of games."

Roy was 7-for-10 from the field in the first half and the Blazers led by as many as 12. The Rockets committed 10 turnovers, three by Yao, who shot 0-for-3 from the field.

Roy hit three of his first four shots and Portland led 23-11 at 2:01 in the first quarter. McGrady came off the bench, as he has in three previous games back from a knee injury, and the Rockets came alive after he checked in.

The Rockets closed the gap with a 12-0 run, including five straight points from Bonzi Wells. Aaron Brooks converted a driving layup to tie the game at 32. McGrady put the Rockets ahead with a driving layup and free throw for a three-point play.

Roy hit a 3-pointer that put Portland up five at 3:02 in the second. He also hit an 18-footer with 22 seconds left and Portland led 50-42 at the half.

The scoring slowed dramatically in the third quarter, when the teams combined for 14 turnovers.

Houston opened the second half on a 14-1 run that erased Portland's lead. The Blazers missed their first seven shots of the half, before Aldridge knocked down a 10-footer to pull them to 58-53.

Portland took back the lead on a jumper from Jarrett Jack that made it 62-60.

Scola, Landry and Brooks -- all rookies -- played nearly the entire fourth quarter for the Rockets.

"One thing about our young guys -- they aren't afraid," McGrady said. "I didn't expect after 11 years to be out there in crucial situations with three rookies. I can't fathom that right now."

McGrady didn't score in the third but his jumper at 10:31 in the fourth put Houston up 66-65. Scola hit a 13-footer with 3:59 left to make it 79-73. Landry converted a three-point play and the Blazers didn't challenge again.

"I think we're a young team and we're still finding our way," Roy said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AhAT3XfnEJALA.Y9k5d7SCSkvLYF?gid=2008012522&prov=ap

[​IMG]

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This was a HUGE win. The Rockets were chasing Golden State and Utah for the 8th spot, but a win by Portland put us in the running for the 7th spot as well. Now the Rockets are battling for 2 or 3 available playoff berths.

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

cool..........

4. blender

blender Member

I'm wondering what Adelman's going to do with the rotation now. Does McGrady go back and join the old starting lineup? Does he keep coming off the bench and develop chemistry with the rookies? Or do the rookies get promoted to the starting lineup?

How the Rockets play the next two games against two very different teams - Utah and GS - and what combination of players get thrown out there will be very interesting.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I kind of disagree. We are too inconsistent every night with whos going to score our points. But then again the 3 rookie system is working out well.

If I was RA I would start Tmac next game BTW.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

u don't need to know who's going to score besides tmac and yao. that's the nice thing. we have the luxury of having 4-5 guys to step up: brooks, scola, bonzi, landry, battier, or even rafer. we just need 3-4 guys to step up every night along with tmac and yao. last yr, we were PRAYING for ONE.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i predict we start losing once T-Mac starts again, and then this whole board calls for him to come off the bench.

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I love Ricky changing up between Bonzi and Luther starting at the 2 depending on match ups. This allows Tmac to sit back and murder the 2nd 2 guard coming into the game. This is a definite advantage for us.

The only starter that needs to be replaced is Chuck with Scola or Landry.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would start Tracy in the next game too. We can't afford these slow starts. Playing catchup is hard.

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Chuck causes the slow starts because he can only score with layups or crazy looking jump hooks. Put Landry or Scola in and that starting lineup can compete with Tmac coming off the bench.

11. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Start Alston (though I'd really like Brooks), McGrady, Battier, Scola, Yao. Or start Head instead of Alston and let McGrady handle the ball since he does it so much anyway. I'd rather see Head spot up and shoot jumpers than Rafer. This team can't win with Rafer playing 40 min a night and shooting 15+ shots a night.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

it was definitely fun seeing our 3 rookies getting serious time like that.

13. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I also think McGrady needs to start in the next game. But either Scola or Landry need to replace Chuck in the starting lineup too. I'm tired of the other team's four not having to worry about our four. It's too much of a burden on the offense.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is the starting lineup I want:

Brooks, McGrady, Battier, Yao, and Landry.

Why??? Think about it. All 5 guys can score. You got 2 rookies blending in with the big 3. What two better finishers to put around Yao and McGrady than Brooks and Landry?? Inside and outside.

2nd unit:
    Rafer (anchor), Head, Bonzi, Chuck, Scola

That unit will tear a hole in most other team's second units. They're small, but plenty of defensive quickness (Chuck, Bonzi, Scola, Rafer), a shooter (Head), a handle (Rafer), a post up mismatch (Bonzi) and a very skilled big man with plenty of faceup and post up moves (Scola), along with a defensive stopper.

Our two young rookies get to grow with 111. Scola really isn't a rookie, got too much experience.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sounds good to me. I think Adelman will end up starting Scola instead, though.

16. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Anyone else think we can be like the NY Giants?

Before the season, their playoff berth was considered a lock, but they started of the season really slow and everyone turned their backs on them. Yet, they hit their streak in the middle of the season after that guts win against the Redskins (I believe. It was the game where the got the red zone stop 4 times to win in the final minute of the game). Then they hit the playoffs as a streaky team and won despite having to play on the road!

I believe!!! I believe!!!

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

The team has excellent morale and chemistry now that T-mac has jumped on the bandwagon... I admit he lacks heart sometimes and becomes disinterested when things aren't going well, but he's still our most dynamic and best player... I think T-mac believes in the players we have now and is interested again. He's seen what the rookies can do and that is one of the reasons he's finally buying into Adelman's system.

18. Panda

Panda Member

One thing about our young guys -- they didn't play for JVG.

19. kwng

kwng Member

What a concidence. I guess JVG does affects players big time (his totalitarian approach). I think our rookies play without fear while
    our starters probably still look behind their back on every play thus affecting
    their play :D

20. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

Guys how the HELL is chuck still starting it makes no sense to me whatsoever. He should be playing 10-15 min max I mine theres no argument to why hes in there in front of scola or landry.