1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TJones or DMo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CARoxNut, Jul 19, 2013.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

IMO if Asik and Howard start together all the oppossing has to do is pack the paint and foul, foul and foul some more.

2. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Then Howard and Asik will go to the line all the time......are you sure you want that??!!

3. jump shooter

Thats what I was pointing out, teams like Spurs with Popovich would going into a foul fest with Asik and Howard in the game together and it wouldnt be easy for Harden to attack the bucket with opposing teams packing the paint.

4. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

And then the opposing teams starts getting into foul trouble. That way at the end of games they have to foul out.

5. Madclownpacasum

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well both shoot between 50-60% that means we would get a little over a point per possession - that's not bad. And all our other guys would go to the line more often as well, that's not bad either. And the other team will be in foul trouble a lot, that's not bad either. So I could totally live with that.

Hack a whatever is only a good strategy to mess up the other teams offensive rhytHm and to get back late into a game when other options didn't work and when apt he fouled player starts to think too much. I highly doubt this would be a regular tactic before the 4th quarter...

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

D-Mo without a doubt! He's the one that best fits next to Dwight Howard given his offensive abilities.

8. jump shooter

Starting Asik and Howard together won't work IMO. How does James Harden drive the lane with both Howard and Asik standing around the basket?

9. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

TJONES ALL THE WAY

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Dmo has a great post up game that will only be better this year after having a year to see what the NBA is all about. Dmo is a great passser. Dmo moves great for a 7 footer. Dmo shot the ball great in practice from all of the reports.

I like TJ and I'm glad his game is different than Dmo's and I hope they both have breakout years but I think Dmo has chance to be a special player.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That's a totally different point. If both of them should play together, one of them has to play a little outside - right now that would be Howard because he is the way better driver/passer. But spacing would be a problem. McHale would need to be creative here and Asik would need to work on his hands, because he would get a lot of tight passes. Not impossible, but I expect this lineup to only be on the floor together for 5-10 minutes per game.

I just don't see the fouls being a problem here - spacing is. Asik or Howard would need to develope a 10-15 footer for this to really work.

12. Dedicatedrocket

TJ way more nba ready

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

D-Mo will mesh better with the starters. He has range (so does T-Jones for that matter), but his defense won't be as much of an issue next to Howard and his passing will work well next to Howard. T-Jones will be great off the bench playing defense and rebounding, and he could even put up some shots off the bench if his improvements are as marked as I've been hearing.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think DMo will be playing some backup Center, if you want to play inside out with Dwight, Dmo is the only other post option on the team.

I expect Asik to be gone by the trade deadline and Dmo to get some time at backup C.

DD

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You have to win a lot of games to win a championship. :confused:

16. QazQay

QazQay Member

Parsons should be our starting PF

17. Mariachi ROCKET

NO MORE SMALL BALL!!!

18. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

Tjones easily. hands down.

the PF starting spot will be a 5th option due to the people on the court. Harden/howard wil be the 1 and 2 options. switching off depending on the situation. chandler parsons is the 3rd spot. he's going to get more 3 attempts over the PF spot. the PF will have the ball very little while the starters are on the ball. they will take an occasional 3, get a pass on a PnR, and get put backs.

dmo needs to ball for a post up. he doesn't have a knack for rebound like jones does. ive seen both of them pass decently. both their outside shots need work. jones is a slightly stronger finisher.

jones being a better finisher has an advantage with PnR and he doesn't need the ball in his hands for a long time to score. his knack for rebounding also is an advantage for getting offensive rebounds/put backs which do not take a long time to perform. jones' better defense fit the starting squad more.

dmo fits the bench better. he can be a 2nd/3rd option when the bench is on the court. offensive spark off the bench. beverly and asik will be the defensive hounds and will offset some of dmo's weaknesses.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Harden and Lin will be able to attack the rim with both Asik and Howard on the floor together. One example: last season when we had Smith and Asik in the game, Harden still attacked the rim. Neither Asik or Smith could hit that mid-range jump shot. But McHale was able to run his pick n rolls and Harden's ISO plays in those games.

20. anchel

anchel Member

T Jones current defensive level seems overrated here. He lacks consistence, smartness, he´s not better than DMo rotating. Probably more effective, but has lower IQ.

Offensively DMo is also a better team player, better passer, better without the ball, better understanding of spacing... Simply, team will play better with him.

Im not saying he should be the starter, I understand Jones physicality can be important for this team, just not buying the argument that claims Jones as the obvious choice. If it were, he wouldn't have been on the bench during most of last season. Because McHale likes the kid and has said that since the first day.