1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans fire Chow after three seasons

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by v3.0, Jan 15, 2008.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197683

Well they weren't going to cut VY, so...

*edited with full AP report*

#1 v3.0, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I was pretty surprised by this move but at this point something has to change with the current offense. and like the OP said it wasn't going to be cutting vince.

Titans definitely need some WR's and I am curious to see who will want to be the OC under Jeff Fisher with a mobile QB like vince....

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Looks like coaches are starting to take the blame for an offense with very few weapons. To me it looks like management thought they should have done better with a QB who just "knows how to win." (despite averaging more then an interception per game) I guess you can blame Chow for not developing VY, but I dont think VY is that great right now and if Chow couldn't help in VY's development, who can?

I hope for the titans sake, they aren't overating his athletic ability too much and start surrounding him with some real weapons like they would any other QB.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If he keeps up his recent performance, Vince won't escape the hot seat for too many more seasons. He had a very disappointing season.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Not sure how productive an offense can be without ANY weapons at WR

7. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah it must suck going to the playoffs.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

So is it the consensus that Chow is getting thrown under the bus? I don't follow the Titans whatsoever.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you kidding? VY is awesome! It's CHOW's fault that VINCE YOUNG is #26 in yards/game, #17 in total yards, and has a 9 to 17 TD to INT ratio. :rolleyes:

That's right! You tell'em, tinman... VY plays GREAT defense. :D

In fact, they should blame the entire team for not being as good as VY is. :rolleyes:

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It must suck thinking the only reason a team would ever go to the playoffs is because of their QB.

Trent Dilfer for the HOF!!! 408 represent!

11. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS01/80115048/1027

[rquoter]“I don’t know what I am going to do,’’ Chow said. “I’m disappointed. I didn’t see this coming. No one had said a word about any of this until all of a sudden … I made a lot of good friends there.’’

Asked if he thought the next offensive coaching staff could make things work with quarterback Vince Young, who threw nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season, Chow replied: “Obviously Jeff didn’t think that I could. I thought I was. That’s the thing. I don’t know… but it’s going to take some patience.’’[/rquoter]

i think chow is a good coach but the problem is that his offense is predicated on playmakers to get YAC. the offense is better suited for an accurate short-throwing QB like leinart or pennington to throw to quick WRs or scat backs to turn 5 yard completions into 20 yard gains. the problem is: this offense works great when you have reggie bush, jarret, steve smith, lendale, and fred davis working against college defenses. the new offense needs to challenge defenses vertically.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh LORD, here we go...

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Thanks, Kerry Collins and the Indy lay-down. Vince didn't take anybody anywhere. He was on the bench when the playoffs were on the line. Then he stunk it up in San Diego. The guy needs a lot of work.

14. updawg

updawg Member

Look out NFL.
    Now that a new OC will come in and tap VY's potential. Ouch.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

it must suck having your team leave town and waiting years for it to be replaced by an expansion team.... the charlotte bobcats..hahahahahahahahaha

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It has happened before.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

eli manning needed alot of work in his 2nd year too.
    but you don't hate on him cause he's w...
    wacky

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hey I would take Jeff Fisher's word over Norm Chow...

DD

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

their offense in 2005 only scored 2 less points and was actually ranked higher in the league. :D

their defense went from allowing 421 in 05 to only 297 this year. or from 29th in the league to 8th overall.

the offense certainly hasnt got much better, in production.

the best offensive player on that team was...? bironas :D

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I didn't kick Chow out. I didn't kick the Oilers out of town. I didn't start digital broadcasts. Its not my fault that Tech and A&M will never win a national championship in football. I didn't make Mc Grady pull up for the J.

Blame me