1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titan Sports: Exclusive Interview of Yao Versus Yi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Nov 9, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

damn, anyone else think that if the Bucks somehow win, that Yi will be giving this kind of interview?

Yi: we wanna play good, and we gotta play good... and i think we played pretty good. But you know, there's no I in team and we had to go out there and play good, and I think we played real good tonight. there's no I in team. You gotta give 110%

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

he may say that, but he never does it. this has happened to yao repeatedly and i have always waited for a hard foul from yao. NEVER HAPPENS. :(

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Unfortunate to say, Yi doesn't sound like a very bright guy. Either that or he just really needs a crash course in media relations.

4. stillillmatic

stillillmatic Member

wow, yi can't handle the media at all... his answers r so short..

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You are a r****d.

6. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Honestly I get the same impression that Yi is not that bright from other interviews I have read as well.

7. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

huh? I think Yi actually sounds like a normal guy and he talks like 90% of the NBA players. He is not media savvy yet. To call him "not bright" because he doesnt talk as much as Yao, is r****ded. Not everyone can be Yao, he is actually a funny guy.

8. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, Yao Ming took Yi Jianlian home for dinner, the highest order for treating your close and good old friend.

Other than Yi, he also invited Li Qun, Yi Jianlian's team mate and coach at Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers, and Del Harris of Dallas Mavericks, who used to be the national coach for China national team at the 2004 Olympics, and the one who scouted/spotted Yi Jianlian, and promoted him from nowhere, jumping the ranks from the junior national team to the senior national team.

9. devin23

devin23 Member

i agree. he sounds like stromile swift.

10. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

No matter how bad you feel Yi's personal skill is, he has done an amazing job as a player in the NBA in his first five games.

I like his approach, let his game do all the talking, at least at this stage.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yi has always seemed like a 'stiff' from day one. He just doesn't seem to be at all interested in reaching out to the media or endearing himself to the public. Unlike Yao, he doesn't have that sense of humor or great personality Yao has. I really hope China and his countrymen understand how special of a guy Yao is; he's far and away the best ambassador they could've wished to have.

On another note...

Countdown to some idiot claiming that Yao should just "shut up and play" in 3...2...1...

LOL! There is really no one like Yao...I don't think it's fair to compare everyone else to him. The irony here is that I've been hearing for a while that Yi is the 'hollywood' guy who liked to hang out around L.A. and just have fun, so I thought he would be much more accustomed to American lifestyle/lingo/humor.

#31 tigermission1, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  12. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

He doesn't use a translator. Yao did.

13. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

Right on. It's idiotic to say someone is not smart because he doesn't say much in interviews. I know some really smart people who always talk in one-liners. They are just not the talkative type of people.

14. rayden

rayden Member

Some of you guys on here are morons. Give Yi a break. He's in a new country with new customs, and probably still not confident in his English skills yet. Not to mention he does not use a translator much like Yao did with Mini_ming Colin Pine.

For those of you that suggest someone as not being too bright solely based on his interviewing skills in a foreign land and foreign language should look into the mirror to see the real re.... nevermind :rolleyes:

15. MMFGuy

MMFGuy Member

g@yest thread of the day :rolleyes:

16. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i think he wanted to say bucks. but he knew rockets playing at home are too good a team for them to beat. so he tried to be a smartass.

17. JustWannaChill

Oh my goodness. I can't believe what some of the people in this thread said. Do you even think before you type? Did the guy use English in the post-game press conference after just a few months in this country? You are questioning his smartness...ROFL

18. JustWannaChill

Excellent first post with a gay one-liner. :rolleyes:

19. tmac&Yao

tmac&Yao Member

Come on! This is the glamor and presence which a all-star player needs to

have.Did you see T-MAC or Ducan or KOBE do that?The only thing you can

do is to score or dunk over your enemy and beat their team! Luckily,T-MAC

and YAO really did this to reply others.That's why I love them,That's why

they are repected by so many players!

20. nancychang

nancychang Member

as some articles i have read, Yi is smart and humorous.
    one time after the national team finished their game, Yao "ordered" Yi to take the luggage for him in the airport, n Yi said," why should i take it? i'm not in hounston rockets!" :)