1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tires

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Nov 21, 2011.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

so i got about 41k on my mariner stock tires. the dealer is suggesting a new set for about 700 after serice and tax etc. how many miles do tires usually last?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

use this trick to check the tread on the tires. If you can see the top of Abe's head then you probably need new tires.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

lol, man. is that really effective?

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

On my car? I'm lucky if I get 20,000 miles before a new set, which costs around $1700.00. :(

5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

??? what do you drive?

6. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Well that is one measure that is important to assess the life of your tire. In addition, you also have to check the side wall of the tire for striations and cracking
    [​IMG]
    so that something like shown below doesn't happen.
    [​IMG]

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Same here man. I have 23,000 on my Pirelli's and I don't know if I'm going to go Pirelli's again. It's so damn expensive.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just wanted to point out that if road noise is a problem with your car, then do some research. Not all tires are created equal in that regard.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

www.tires-easy.com. Save yourself some moolah. Have them shipped to your local mechanic and save on installation as well. Bought my last set of brand new 235/45 ZR17s there for about $400. Best tires I've ever bought -- really quiet and oh so grippy.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Prince

Prince Member

changed mine after 60.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

tirerack.com is a good site to read up on reviews. Do some research and pick out some good ones, not just what the shop recommends.

I think most tires last between 30-60k miles.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Use Goodyear Fortera's for my Sequoia. I think they have a 70k mile warranty. If they wear down before 70k miles (or maybe 60k...can't remember), Discount Tire gives credit for the unused/unreached mileage...so I get a bit of credit from Goodyear towards purchasing my next set of tires.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It also matters a lot on the nature of the mileages. If it's 30k on stop and go traffic, it's obviously going to be a lot more worn than on 30k of highway driving.

15. LonghornFan

A 350Z HR with twin turbo's. I have Goodyear KDW's which are not cheap but give the best grip, have the best tread wear and they have an awesome tread pattern, but they are super loud on the highway. I had to go with 295/35/19 in back and 255/35/19 up front to keep grip.

16. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

What are the specs of the wheels you are running? 19x??? offset???? Are you getting any rub in the rear? (spacers)?

I have had a 350z now for two years. Done a number of things to it, mostly fixing the stuff the previous owner #@(^ed up. The thing I am planning on doing next right after my tune at uprev is going with wider wheels. The idiot put 18x7's square front and back so I'm not able to keep traction currently with the added power I have.

Going to move to a 18x9.75 square set up all around.

I can't even imagine the amount of money you would have saved on tires if you went with an 18 inch rim instead.

Anywhoo, look forward to your response from a fellow longhorn

Hook em'

17. LonghornFan

Yeah, I could have but I prefer 19" (10.5 up front, 11.5 rear) as I don't track and I was lucky enough to have a 350z buddy who had 19" Racing Hart black chrome CPF-Tunes which are no longer made and are extremely rare and expensive. 1 piece forged and the lightest wheel made for a 350. I believe from reading around and visiting many shows that there are only like 4 of these sets of rims in Texas.

My specs are +22 rear (Probably going to add a 5mm spacer) and +3 front. I added an Ichiba 20mm spacer up front for flushness, although I should have gone maybe 10mm as it's a little too wide now, but I like it. I'm dropped a little over an inch all around on Tanabe NF's and had my rear fenders rolled, so no rubbing at all.

BTW- Uprev is fantastic and the Osiris tune is one of the best investments on this car. It really opens up the throttle and you really need it if you have any breathing mods to clean up the A/F ratio. I had mine done at Secret Services off of 59. Are you getting different maps or just a straight tune/dyno?

#17 LonghornFan, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  18. LonghornFan

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It depends on the tire how long they last. You're not giving enough info as to where you live, the type of driving, and the type of driving conditions, etc.

Your best bet is to stay away from cheap tires and also go to tirerack.com and enter your vehicle or tire size in their search tool. Then you can look at reviews of those tires and their ranking among people who have bought them. They're ranked based upon things like handling, wet/dry traction, snow handling, etc. People also post opinions on there of their tires.

Also, I would never buy tires from a dealer unless you know for sure it's a good deal. They probably mark the hell up out of crappy tires.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, it's effective if you're measuring tread depth, but it won't tell you what all is going on the inside of your tire or if you have tires balding patches on your tire. One of my tires looked perfect from the outside - it looked like it could go at least another 10-20,000 miles, but on the inside the tread was starting to separate and the tire was failing. The only reason I caught it was when I was coming out of work, I saw my front tire head-on and thought "what's that white stuff on the inside of my tire?" Upon closer inspection, the white stuff on the inside of my tire was the tire shredding.