1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tire Pressue Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Nov 28, 2010.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

so my mercury mariner has a tire pressure monitoring system on it. recently it's been on and off for low tire pressure warning. is it due to change of temperature? it got cold recently. also, what's the standard PSI for tires? don't remember. is it 36 in each tire? thanks.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Could be due to temp change. PSI varies between tires but should be stamped on the side wall. Your owners manual should also tell you the psi the tires need to be.

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Recommended PSI for your car should be on a sticker inside your driver's door... at least that's where mine has always been.

4. smokieethabear

Yes it is due to the change in weather.. happens to my 07 altima all the time when there is a sudden change... anyways...like others have said... you should check your manual cause all tires will be a bit different.. but usually 32-36 psi is normal in each tire...

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Some pressure gauges in cars are -very- sensitive. My wife's 2007 Jetta is like a jilted teenaged girl.

6. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

thanks for the quick answers guys. i am going to check the front door label on driver's side. most likely due to cold temperature. but just want be safe since i have to drive a lot ass time next week. LOL

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

For Low-Pro tires, is the air pressure higher?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

actually, I would follow LilPun's advice.

the tire manufacturer stamps the recommended max tire pressure on the sidewalls of their tires, I would trust the tire company over what the car company says.

You can also adjust the actual pressure depending on what kind of ride you want, if you want a firm ride, go with the exact pressure the tire says, if you want a softer ride, adjust downward till you find the range that fits you.

also, dont forget to reset your tire pressure monitor after you re-set the pressures.(if your vehicle has that capability)

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You should buy a good tire gauge and check the pressure yourself anyways.

It not only saves gas, it also saves your tires.

This one is pretty good Link

10. Bandwagoner

that's where you are wrong. the pressure on the tire is the max from the tire company. the pressure listed on your car is the one to go with.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd go with this. I wouldn't trust most of those TPMS. A lot of them are flakey. Just get yourself a gauge and check it.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

what if you dont have the same tires on your car that it came with?

The pressures listed by the vehicle company is for the tires that come with it..

My time as a mechanic says that you are wrong about me being wrong.

13. Bandwagoner

Well lower the pressure on your tire seeking a more comfortable ride and be rewarded with a rougher ride and a worn out tire.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well, you got part of that right.

ftr...most tire manufacturer's recommended max inflation pressures are HIGHER than the vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure.

so if someone went with the pressure printed on the tire, they would have their pressure HIGHER than recommended, which gives you a rougher ride.

Im not sure what you are arguing at this point, your post talks of rougher rides and worn out tires from under-inflation, instead of over-inflation.(which is what your tire is when it rides rough)

I personally go with tire company's amount minus 5 on mine. The car rides much too rough when inflated to the 50 it calls for.

15. Bandwagoner

OK. Well to clarify, if your tire is under inflated you will have a rougher ride on most passenger cars. the only exception might be a truck with huge sidewalls.

For most people, the best advice is to inflate to what the car calls for. you have just listed another reason.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is true based on what I know too. Vehicle manufacturer's want the tire pressure to be what makes for the best handling based on the vehicle's steering/suspension design, which is why it is lower than what is on the tire. The tire manufacturer wants to protect the wear/tear potential of their product in case of warranty issues. Ultimately though, the vehicle manufacturers can't account for the dozens of different tread designs and ratings that may go onto that vehicle during its lifetime. The problem occurs where tires are put on a vehicle that the tire is not designed to be on or driven in conditions its not meant for.

In the end, a tire manufacturer is never going to recommend a max PSI that is unsafe for the type of vehicle the tire is designed for (again, that is key here). Like you said, it all comes down to personal preference and what kind of ride and fuel mileage you want. Unless you are able to nail an exact PSI and keep it constant (impossible considering weather changes, etc.), a tire will always be either under/over inflated over time and thus, subject to some type of abnormal wear. The key is not to have it grossly under and/or over inflated to avoid excessive wear/tear.

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Weather has something to do with it, my tires been fine until yesterday when it got cold for the first time in awhile...

Colder temp = smaller volume for the gas (air)

18. codell

You keep equating rougher ride w/ under inflation. In all my studies and knowledge (which is extensive), I have never heard of under-inflated tires being equated with a rough ride. I have seen and heard it equated with sluggish steering, bad fuel mileage, abnormal wear and some handling issues. A "rough" ride with regards to tire pressure is almost always over-inflation, not under-inflation. R2K is 100% correct there.

19. Bandwagoner

When your tire is under inflated the edges of the wheel makes harsh contact through the sagging rubber during bumps.

20. codell

If the edge of the wheel itself is making contact with a road surface, then the tires are borderline flat, not just under-inflated. If a tire is that under-inflated (flat), then the tire is going to fail pretty quickly.

Garden variety under-inflation (i.e. 3-5 PSI under) is not going to cause a rough ride, nor cause the type of scenario you speak of.