1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Tipping 2022 Edition] What's the protocol?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Can't wait for strippers to have QR codes on t*tties.

@Xerobull gonna tip in dogecoin.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

You can't tell me that some of these place's can't turn the dam thing off......it makes for an awkward second and its out of control. Waiting for my dry-cleaning guy to put out a tip jar :D

STR8Thugg and Sajan like this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

As far as food service goes, I'm going back to effing basics because tipping expectations has gotten out of control. The fast casual concept blurred the lines because you pay at the counter, but people still bring your food to you, so people tipped based on that. But now everyone is confused because even places that dont bring it to you have tip lines now. So for simplicity sake, unless my ass is in a chair at a table and a person takes my order and brings my food to me, I'm not tipping oogatz anymore.

body slam and STR8Thugg like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

I got tig ol biddies from a bunch of different cities

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How does ‘tip creeping’ affect Texans?
    Sam Stark
    3 hours ago
    [​IMG]

A waitress brings a check to a table. (Getty)

AUSTIN (KXAN) – The advent of new software that allows consumers to tap their phones and cards at the register instead of paying with cash has undoubtedly made the mad dash to the cafe or market a little easier – especially those of us frequently losing credit cards.

But using this type of software – such as Squareand Toast – can also make consumers feel “guilted” into leaving a larger tip than they may otherwise offer. Some have dubbed this new phenomenon “tip creeping.”

Toast recently released data on its quarter four 2022 sales, which puts Texas toward the bottom of the list of states with the most generous tippers. Granted, the difference between the “most” generous tipping state and the “least” generous tipping state is only a couple of percentage points.

Though the variance is not so pronounced, Kelsey Erickson Streufert from the Texas Restaurant Society said Texas consumers are feeling the effects of tip creeping.

“We’re seeing some tipping fatigue out there. And all the new technology – which has been great – also comes with the fact that people are being asked to tip in transactions that they haven’t historically tipped. And so that is generating a little bit of tipping fatigue,” she said.

According to the same Toast report, even with inflation, tipping in restaurants is up.

“Tips climbed 16.5% for full-service restaurants and 15.9% for quick-service restaurants,” Erickson said. “In other words, tipping at restaurants is going up – which is great to see. And I think the fact that we’re seeing those numbers at the same time as we are seeing record inflation shows that tipping fatigue isn’t really impacting our restaurants,” she said.

In terms of tip creeping, Erickson said that this may be a transitory phenomenon as restaurants and consumers get used to the new point-of-sale systems.

“Anytime we have new technology, there’s always a little bit of growing pains and a little bit of adjustment as we figure out what that new normal is.”

Ubiquitin and ROCKSS like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Id rather have a 8-10% municipal service fee to support healthcare for service workers, than footing 20% tip on top of inflation.

I now cap quick service **** a dollar.

STR8Thugg and Sajan like this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

Told y'all it was getting worse.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

20+ % baby. Just to piss people like Sajan off.

Nook, Sajan and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

ElPigto likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I don't believe for a second that these employees at Starbucks, donut shop, etc see a dime of these tips ppl are throwing out. It's literally a scam to tip corporations.

Regardless, why the **** would anyone tip when you aren't being provided a service? I'm seeing tip questions popping up at the most absurd ****ing places. It's only a matter of time before Walmart asks me if I want to tip at self-checkout.

Sajan and ElPigto like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Tell em I eat ass bro.

Nook likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yup. all you are doing is giving a cut to visa/mastercard + the store.

It seems like it's backfiring. All this tipping questions have aggravated the general public and tipping might actually go down. And of course, it's going to affect the people who truly needs it.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Food prices are already through the roof, and now they're asking people to subsidize their employee salaries by providing a cut of the bill. Again, if it's a sit down restaurant, then of course, but I'm not tipping the donut shop. Before long, you're going to have places like McDonald's and Chick Fil A asking for tips. It's completely unreasonable and out of control.

Sajan and clos4life like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Not aggravating me.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Took the family to Torchy's over the weekend and had the iPad flipped on me. I was going to tip but then remembered this thread and the resolution I made in it. Clicked the zero!

It was tough, but I've got to BE STRONG.

Instead, I tipped the bartender $10 for making my 2 margaritas.

Sajan, Xerobull and ElPigto like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

lmao.

19. droxford

droxford Member

For restaurants...

If I pick up a to-go order, I don't tip.
    If wait staff don't wait on me (like at Jersey Mike's or Jimmy John's) I don't tip.
    If wait staff waits on me (brings me menus, takes my order, brings food, refills glasses, etc.), I tip. And the amount is based on their service quality;
    great service = 20% tip
    average service = 15% tip
    poor service = 10% tip or less

All people should tip restaurants this way. If you tip more than this, you're a sucker. If you tip less than this, you're a cheapskate.

Sajan likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Stay strong brother.

Not trying to be D&D but the US needs to stop this damn practice of tipping and just getting everyone paid evenly across the board.

Sajan likes this.