1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tipping 2022 Edition] What's the protocol?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 1, 2022.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm more frustrated with having to tip my barber, my massage therapist (no Watson favors), my dog groomer, etc. Like, I'm already paying a really good amount of money for those services and on top of that, I have to tip? My 90-minute massage is $130 with a local business, and I have to tip $15 to $25 on top of that to show my appreciation for good service? Why not just charge me that in the massage? I am frustrated with those places moreso than subway adding a tip line and me rounding up my tip to allow me to have an evened amount.

Sajan and Andre0087 like this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Member

i thought about this when i was in ireland last month. i didnt feel like food and beer was more expensive there than it is here. for example, id go to a pub and get a pint of guiness for about $6 to $6.50 and fish n' chips, shepherds pie or irish stew was anywhere from $12-$16. about what id expect to pay at a place here, but without the added expense of tipping.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Hard to compare between countries. Differences in purchasing power, and the underlying cost stacks for various services -- especially for something as local as restaurants -- can be very different.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I do agree that tipping is in many places it doesn't belong.

For personal care services like dog groomer, massage, haircuts, etc, the 'tip' should be my return business. Do a good job and I'll keep coming back, sometimes more frequently than I might otherwise have, or perhaps I'll tell my friends and send you referrals. Don't play this dumb tipping game with me, yo.

Surfguy, jiggyfly, Sajan and 2 others like this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink: I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make ****.
    Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ****ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you never ever tip, huh?
    Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.
    Mr. Blue: Hey, this girl was nice.
    Mr. Pink: She was okay. But she wasn't anything special.
    Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
    Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I guess I just place more importance on hot/fresh food. I figure if one can put their life on the line to drive my food to me, they ought to get a decent tip.
    I'm also a little paranoid about people doing **** to my food, TBH.

I'm inconsistent when it comes to most other non-food deliveries like appliances and such. If I have the cash and they're careful and professional, I'll tip them a $20 maybe. Most of the time they're hours late though, or worse.

7. jo mama

jo mama Member

either way, as an american consumer it was cheaper for me to eat and drink in ireland than in my home country...by at least 20%.

and the dollar to euro conversion was 1.00 to 1.01 when i was there, so it was basically even.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

This.

When my barber was cutting at a salon with a group of barbers, I figured I give him a tip...whatever
    then he left the salon and started cutting out of his home and was charging the same amount, I stopped tipping. Figured the entire haircut payment is going to him now.
    On top of that, he has almost doubled his price in the last 2-3 years but I go to him every 3-4 weeks like clockwork.

My sister pays 100 bucks for a groomer for her dog and when I was picking him up once, the prompt was 15% at the minimum.....wtf man..

Tips.......tips everywhere!
    Deliver a washer? Tip.
    Take the shuttle at IAH? Tip.
    Uber? Tip

I will continue to tip: at sit down restaurants, bartender, and valet.
    Everyone else can flip their ipads back around.

TimDuncanDonaut and ElPigto like this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.economist.com/international/2022/01/15/do-tips-make-for-better-service

The most obvious economic justification for tipping is that it encourages the server to perform better. But the logic of the tip as an incentive is far from solid. Most customers in restaurants are not regulars. A one-time customer will not benefit in future by leaving a tip at the end of a meal. But even repeat customers do not seem to use tip rates to reward or to punish the server. Mr Azar says that if they did, their tips would more closely rise or fall according to the quality of service than with more casual diners. But he could find no such evidence. More strikingly, service quality in countries such as Japan and South Korea, where tipping is exceedingly rare, is not noticeably inferior to service in America or Europe.

A boss’s scam?
    Tipping quite often benefits the restaurateur or business as much as—sometimes even more than—the recipient of the tip. Having enticed a customer with low up-front prices, a tip is then extracted later—and sometimes doesn’t even go entirely to the supposed recipient

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Every should be tippin on 4 4s

Sajan likes this.
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I remember being underage and standing outside 7-Eleven asking people going in if they will buy us some alcohol. Those people deserve tips but I don't recall ever tipping them. They usually brought out the alcohol and change. I'm sure we probably had to of but I don't remember doing that. I think we probably tipped them with a few beers out of our case. We were underage so money was a luxury. Nowadays, I assume it is a must but I don't think I would buy alcohol for anyone underage these days as it is different times and you might be tracked down/sued if something goes awry with the kids under the influence. But, in today's world assuming someone is doing it, I would probably expect to give $20 for whatever alcohol that gets and give $10 - $20 for the tip. Probably the latter since the buyer is taking a big risk.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Restaurants. Staff would take forever to come back to us regarding just about everything. Luckily, I didn't do much eating at sit down restaurants there, but every time the service was far slower than the US, with a lot less politeness. You get to do that when you're not worried about your pay.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good grief, @jo mama. Now I'm thirsty for a pint and would kill for any one of the 3 Irish meals you listed. And all this time I thought you were a nice guy! ;-)

My lady and I need to go to Ireland, soonest. We were going to go 2 years ago and the pandemic hit.

As for the topic, most of the places where we go out to eat are clearly struggling to get adequate staff. The good fellow who owns Evangeline's in SW Austin (very good Cajun food) recently went to Louisiana and appeared to bring back a couple of young nieces (out of school) to wait tables during the summer while they interviewed for more waitresses. That's based on what I overheard while stuffing myself with gumbo and a fried shrimp po-boy. (Curtis, if you're reading this and I got it wrong, I apologize)

Anyway, I tip more than I used to, in the hope that not only am I helping out the person waiting on me, I'm helping the place where I enjoy eating to keep enough wait staff to keep my iced tea glass filled.

Curtis, a real gentleman:

upload_2022-8-2_21-35-35.jpeg

upload_2022-8-2_21-37-17.jpeg

[​IMG]

#53 Deckard, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    jo mama and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

15. Buck Turgidson

I meant which countries, but I get you.

I just decided that over there dinner was never going to be a short affair, bottle of wine to start, they can take their time.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

My mom came over when I was there which was basically when I ate at sit-down restaurants there. She was the one that brought it up. I was 21 and didn't do a whole lot of sit down restaurants at that age.

This was in the early 90's too.

17. Buck Turgidson

I still have no idea where "there" is.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

London, although we saw it in Paris, as well. Only time we got good service was when we befriended a soux chef that wanted to learn English. Still recall when he took us to a restaurant there (Paris) and I ordered a hamburger. It was literally a ground beef patty...

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

when traveling I do, its on my company tab but I just assumed you did.....I normally do like 2-3 bucks, 5 if its a 30 min trip to the airport

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I tip the girl who cuts my hair 5 bucks, she makes an hourly wage of $16.50 and the cut is 27.00..........I was always told never to tip the barber if he owns the shop, no clue why but my grandpa told me that

Andre0087 likes this.