1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timing of college commitments for scholarships

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Mar 12, 2016.

  1. heypartner

    heypartner Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 1999
    Messages:
    62,559
    Likes Received:
    56,268
    I'm curious if anyone has experience with this.

    My sister says UH wants students to make a commitment for scholarships by April 1st. University of North Texas says they won't announce scholarship offers until April 1st.

    How can you wait to here from UNT, but not lose your chance at a nice UH offer? Something seems wrong.
     
  2. sugrlndkid

    sugrlndkid Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Messages:
    11,480
    Likes Received:
    1,648
    This was a similar situation that happened to my little sister...

    She got a full scholarship from Houston Baptist with housing...but really wanted to wait for Texas to respond...HBU basically said, you either accept or we give it to someone else... 2 weeks after she accepted HBU's offer, she was given a full ride to UT...

    This is a really tricky situation, but you never know how things may or may not work out. My advice... go where you get the most money.
     
  3. cheke64

    cheke64 Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Messages:
    23,656
    Likes Received:
    15,029
    How do you get a full ride to UT?
     
  4. Major

    Major Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 1999
    Messages:
    41,407
    Likes Received:
    15,837
    That's the whole point. Schools want you to commit before you have more options because then they are stuck waiting on you and can't offer those spots to anyone else.
     
  5. heypartner

    heypartner Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 1999
    Messages:
    62,559
    Likes Received:
    56,268
    Right, obviously that's why there is a deadline, but only explains UH. that doesnt explain it from UNT's side. Why would they wait to offer scholarships when other schools already proferred them
     
  6. Ubiquitin

    Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2001
    Messages:
    17,460
    Likes Received:
    11,925
    Could you pull out from UNT after agreeing when UT/UH/etc give out their scholarships?
     
  7. sugrlndkid

    sugrlndkid Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Messages:
    11,480
    Likes Received:
    1,648
    She got a 15,000 scholarship from the HSLSR and UT covered the rest of her tuition and board...Now this was almost 7 years back...Not so sure how things are in terms of college education/cost...but Im sure it stinks.
     
  8. heypartner

    heypartner Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 1999
    Messages:
    62,559
    Likes Received:
    56,268
    right, can you? in this case it would be pulling out of UHs Honor's Program if UNT delivers a scholarship later

    UNT is the preferred school in this case, but announces scholarships after UHs deadline to accept
     
  9. subtomic

    subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2000
    Messages:
    4,031
    Likes Received:
    2,386
    I would imagine that those who accept have to send in some kind of non-refundable deposit. So if you get a better offer elsewhere, you can withdraw but you'll lose that deposit.
     
  10. sugrlndkid

    sugrlndkid Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Messages:
    11,480
    Likes Received:
    1,648

    Have to evaluate how likely UNT is to give the scholarship... If you think that UNT will more than likely give a reasonable amount of scholarship money, you should wait. If not, taking the UH Honors program offer is prudent...I dont think there is any harm in accepting an offer and then later declining it as better offers come along.
     
  11. RedRedemption

    RedRedemption Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Messages:
    32,470
    Likes Received:
    7,648
    A full ride to UT? Holy ****. :eek:
     
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Messages:
    20,797
    Likes Received:
    16,587
    That's for a spot in the school, no? And not the scholarship, itself? That would be a crummy scholarship, if you had to put down a deposit on it.

    Back in '08 when I was a senior deciding on which colleges, I don't think any college set hard and fast deadlines on scholarships. But I did get a full ride to A&M, mostly on need-based scholarships.
     
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Messages:
    20,797
    Likes Received:
    16,587
    HP, I would tell your sister to accept UH's offer and then wait for UNT's offer (if any), to come in before deciding.

    Pulling out of a spot after a commitment might be a dick move, but in the end, you have to worry about your own.
     
  14. K mf G

    K mf G Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2007
    Messages:
    4,330
    Likes Received:
    1,708
    you can pull out of a scholarship fairly late, you can say yes i will take your scholarship in March, then in May, before classes begin tell them never mind, they will have to find someone else to give the money to, but that's not your problem, accept all the scholarships you are offered, but notify them once you know you are not going to end up accepting it
     

Share This Page

  • About ClutchFans

    Since 1996, ClutchFans has been loud and proud covering the Houston Rockets, helping set an industry standard for team fan sites. The forums have been a home for Houston sports fans as well as basketball fanatics around the globe.

  • Support ClutchFans!

    If you find that ClutchFans is a valuable resource for you, please consider becoming a Supporting Member. Supporting Members can upload photos and attachments directly to their posts, customize their user title and more. Gold Supporters see zero ads!


    Upgrade Now