1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Times You've Met Rockets Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MingMingDynasty, Jun 3, 2010.

1. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

worked at the airport as an employee and pushed Derek Anderson on his wheel chair to his limo after he got injured in the lakers game trying to dunk on sum1. and he tipped 20 bucks ; )

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

everytime I see him, he's always wearing a flourescent color oxford shirt. It's either pink, orange, or yellow. lol.

3. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

When I was younger we had season tickets next to Robert Horry's Wife and daughter, she was my age at the time so we would always play together, and he would come by quite a bit, i was so young though that I barely remember it. I do remember being at the finals (i was born in 89 so I was somewhere between 4-6 during this). I have a bunch of signed balls and caps from him, then he gave my dad a cool plaque signed by the whole team that I still have in my room.

Robert Reid did a fund raiser for my high school and got to meet him when I was in Jr High, really nice guy.

Not a rocket, but funny story, we were eating at cheesecake factory in the galleria and saw Phil Jackson eating there when we had the series with them (back when we had steve francis, 01 or 02 forgot the year exactly) and my older brother told him he needed to learn to contain Yao, and Phil gave us that look like "no *****" lol. He did smile and shake our hands though surprisingly.

4. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

My dad's good friend is close with Rudy T. After a Rockets/Mavs game several years ago when I was 9 years old, Rudy T took me into the locker room and I met Hakeem, Clyde, Charles. One of the best days of my childhood.

Also, I played basketball at Andalusia High School in Alabama, where Robert Horry played. Once a year, he came and shot with us.

5. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

did ya'll make out after this?

I met walt williams at best buy when i was 15..dude was an ass, he was lookin' at C.D.'s and i asked for an autograph, and he sighed and said "yeah i guess..."as a 15 year old i was thinking... "I don't even like you, if i knew you were going to be such a diva about it i wouldn't of faked being excited.."

Then another time i was driving in the galleria and stopped at a stop light next to cuttino mobley... weak

6. thainfamouspie

thainfamouspie Contributing Member

Great and entertaining thread. I am VERY lucky with my Rockets experiences.

I actually know Sura and Deke (two of my favorite Rox of all time) because I work with them all the time at the bank in River Oaks. They usually come in every other week or so to do their business. One of the rare opportunities I'd guess that celebrities take the time to know regulars like myself and the rest of the bank, it's an amazing thing to interact with them on a regular, friend-like basis where you get to know them. They are both incredible and friendly people, especially Deke. He would usually bring us T-shirts from games, and he would also rarely bring Yao with him too, they are waaayyy too easy to spot amongst the pedestrians lol.

Another Rocket I got to know was Matt Maloney because about 3 years ago, we used to hoop and run drills together every week at 24 Hour Fitness on Westheimer and Chimney Rock. This lasted for about 3 or 4 months until I moved, and we lost contact basically since I stopped going. Working with him helped my game a lot, so nowadays I walk onto every court with an accomplished stardom swagger until I turn out to be a tremendous bust. LOL!! Cheap shot, Matt in all honesty is one of the coolest and most genuine people you could meet. And trust me, he DOMINATED everyone on the court regardless of competition, he was unguardable even at his older age and while out-of-shape lol. Really shows you the drastic separation of talent NBA players have from recreational and aspiring players.

As far as quick meets, I've met TJ Ford (one of my good friends is his trainer), Yao at his restaurant on Westheimer (before I ran into him a few times again at the bank), Luther Head a couple times at the bank, Mo Taylor (also at the bank lol), and Eddie Griffin (at the bank a few months before he died. He was very shy but friendly as well.) So many encounters at the bank, geez!

Those are all the Rockets I've met OUTSIDE of a Rockets function. Trust me, you meet MANY celebs working in banks in rich areas.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Mario Elie, Vernon Maxwell and I hung out at Oasis on Westpark and Gessener in 94". For those that don't know this was the official player's club. I also met Dominic Wilkins during the AllStar Game in the H.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I bet he still couldn't throw one in the ocean.

9. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I can picture him wagging his trademark ...\/\/\/... :grin:

10. ILoveTheRockets

I met Sam I Am and Kenny Smith in Kingwood,Texas one year at this bad ass Italian restuarant, can't remember the name of the place. But Kenny and Sam 2 awesome people...Shawn Kemp was with them as well

11. RockyChamp

RockyChamp Member

I've met Artest 5 times does that count :p

12. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

i was doing situps on one of those incline benches in an empty gym, it was before matress mac redid it, but right after he bought the club and built a rocket practice facility there. so, i looked up after my set of situps, and clyde drexler was doing sit ups on the bench right next to me.

i stared for a moment, i guess, because it was so unexpected.

clyde put out his hand and said, "hi, i'm clyde drexler."

13. RockyChamp

RockyChamp Member

And I've met Ariza a handful of times as well

14. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

these people arent Rockets, but after I came back from Iraq we landed in Baltimore and flew back to San Antonio with the entire Atlanta Dream. i guess they were on a road trip for a couple of games. but they thanked us for what we did and welcomed us home. prolly the best day of my life after being away from the states for so long!!!

15. acjeitherocket

never met a Rox player.... :(

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I didn't "'meet" Joey Dorsey, but I saw him twice his rookie season. I saw him at randalls in midtown, and I saw him at the Houston center in downtown.

The only time I "meet" rocket players is at Rockets related events.

I don't want to count those, but if I did, I'll go with Brooks, lowry, ariza, off the top of my head.

17. Salvation710

Salvation710 Member

I met Cutino Mobley at burger king once. He is only a couple inches taller than me so I didn't know he was a ball player at first. But he looked familiar. When I walked out to the parking lot I saw his Range Rover and thats when it occurred to me who he was.

I didn't go back and talk to him because I really don't care about talking to celebrities. But I don't think anybody recognized him for the whole 10 minutes we were in there. I wonder if he was happy or sad about that...

18. jhughes487

jhughes487 New Member

During the summer of 94 my girlfriends family and I were in Downtown, we got on an elevator and right behind us was Sam Cassell. My girlfriends dad said to him, "Hey, aren't you Kenny Smith?" I just laughed and shook my head, trying to keep some level of respect for him.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I've seen a few players at clubs and said whats up to Landry, Sura, Mcgrady, Kenny Thomas and Deke.

I saw AB and Jordan Hill at the galleria once. Not together but at different times. I didn't say anything to AB but did say welcome to Houston to Hill. This was the day after the trade went down.

I also saw Hakeem at a masjid once. I was in shock and didn't say anything to him.

The most recent sighting was Robert Horry at Nox last week. He was with Mcdyess. Said hello and that I'm a big fan. I was trying to get a pic with him but he was pretty tipsy and had girls on his mind.

Edit: I saw David Andersen before the Baylor-Duke game. He was wearing a Baylor shirt! I screamed out his name and lets go rockets! I tend to say their full name for some odd reason.

#99 sammy, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  20. thainfamouspie

thainfamouspie Contributing Member

Lol Joey still goes up to that Randalls in Midtown, I saw him there twice this summer already later at night.