1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElPigto, Jan 27, 2018.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

After last night's frustrating loss, it annoyed me that we could have possible taken that game had it not been for Luc's turnover. We were down 2 at the time, but all the momentum seemed to be on our side. I understand with less timeouts this season we are forced to be more selective when we use a time out, however, under Mike this season and last, for whatever reason we have refused to use timeouts in crucial situations.

Yesterday, Luc was clearly trapped with nowhere to go and no way to get the ball to anybody, yet no one thought about calling a timeout. I guess, Mike is who he is at this point in his career, but it's awfully frustrating to lose a game when we could have just called a timeout to keep a crucial possession and regroup. I know there have been a couple more times this season and last where we have lost games due to not using our timeouts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Nivos

Nivos Member

I believe we ended up using all of our Time outs, and couldve def use another one in the last second.
    I was more frustated about not using Green when we clearly could've used him last night.
    I guess we all have our issues.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Green would have at least made up for Anderson's non scoring. We don't need to be putting too much pressure on 8 guys. We need to control the pace of games better and make teams play to our pace. Harden overall needs to play like it's his last game or day on earth in games like this... to me it seems like he's mentally careless at times. But he should have got three free throws.

vlaurelio, ApacheWarrior and ElPigto like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We did use all of our timeouts, but at the time of Luc's turnover, we still had two timeouts left. I thought it was a crucial possession and Mike should of just called a timeout and regrouped. It's happen in the past as well, not using our timeouts when we really should have.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, I kept b****ing in the game thread as to why we didn't use Green. I don't think he deserves to be buried on the bench when we are struggling. I thought putting him in the second quarter would have been wise. I would of gone all offense in the beginning of that quarter.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Timeouts have been an issue all season
    I have seen close losses where we still had 2 timeouts left

like he saving them for the next game or something

Rocket River

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it's truly annoying. I'm surprised not even our players react to it. It's not like Mike is the only one allowed to call timeouts.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Player can call timeout. That was on Luc.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

So can Mike. It was on both of them.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I actually blame both Luc and Harden for that possession. Smart bb iq and a sense of urgency was lacking. Now hopefully they absorbed that possession and learn not to repeat it.

You could also have a coach that micro manage but I think that lead to a team that is more dependent on the coach, and risk player losing confidence and having a lack of responsibility.

11. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

That 1 play didn't lose us the game. No 1 play does, but it was a dumb play.

Harden has to be able to come to the ball. He's horrible at it.

SIL

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It was a critical play. We had the momentum on our side and we could have tied the game or taken the lead. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but turning the ball over cost 2 points on the other end and we were down two possessions with less than 2 minutes to play. I think it definitely had it's impact. Anyways, I was more concerned with our history of not calling time outs in very important moments of the game, it's all fine in the regular season, but playoffs, it would suck to lose a game like that.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe Mike is micromanaging if he would of called a timeout in that moment. As a coach he also has a responsibility to react when our players are not reacting due to fighting for a possession. I'm not asking Mike to become Tom Thibodeau, I just hate not using our timeouts when we really need to.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'd say the 4pt play was bigger, but again it's not on 1 play.

SIL

ElPigto likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I missed alot of the game. . any clips of this?

Rocket River

16. Nivos

Nivos Member

Ye that was one of those "Harden Only" rules. We really get killed by the refs, but im glad we dont see as much complaints and whining as before.

hakeem94 and ElPigto like this.
  17. anchel

anchel Member

It was 1on1 D, you rely on your player's capacity to not showing the freaking ball right in front of Demarcus Cousins...

vlaurelio likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

slothy420 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

^^^ yup the rule is absolutely dumb

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thank you

and

FFS!!! HOW WAS THAT NOT AN AND1!!!!