1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time Warner to bill on Internet Usage rather then flat fee

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tbplayer22, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22707271/

NEW YORK - Time Warner Cable Inc said on Wednesday it is planning a trial to bill high-speed Internet subscribers based on their amount of usage rather than a flat fee, the standard industry practice.

The second largest U.S. cable operator said it will test consumption-based billing with subscribers in Beaumont, Texas later this year as a part of a strategy to help reduce congestion of its network by a minority of consumers who pay the same monthly fee as light users.

The company believes the billing system will impact only heavy users, who account for around 5 percent of all customers but typically use more than half of the total network bandwidth, according to a company spokesman.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

Slowing network congestion due to downloading of large media files such as video is a growing problem for Time Warner Cable. The company said the problem will worsen as video downloading becomes more popular.

But the move could prove controversial. Unlike with utility bills such as the phone or electricity, which have traditionally been based on usage, U.S. high-speed Internet subscribers have come to expect a fixed monthly charge. An Internet bill typically only varies based on the speed of the consumer's Internet access.

Time Warner Cable, which has 7.4 million residential Internet subscribers, is hoping the move will not confuse consumers if introduced nationwide and is planning a trial period.

"Largely, people won't notice the difference," said the Time Warner Cable spokesman. "We don't want customers to feel they're getting less for more." News of Time Warner Cable's plans was originally leaked on an online industry forum BroadbandReports.com.

Other cable operators may follow Time Warner Cable's lead and phone companies such as Verizon Communications Inc and AT&T Inc are likely to be watching the New York-based cable operator's plans.

As U.S. consumers have become more used to streaming and downloading digital media over the Web, their Internet service providers have started to come under pressure to be able to keep up with growing demand in a cost-effective manner.

Click for related content
    Internet2 is now 10 times faster
    Apple to offer tiny laptop, iTunes movie rentals
    Is U.S. stuck in Internet's slow lane?

Comcast Corp, the largest cable operator with around 13 million Internet subscribers, has been accused by consumer groups of blocking Web traffic moving across its networks, prompting a notice of inquiry by the Federal Communications Commission earlier this week.

Comcast denies it blocks any Internet traffic saying it uses bandwidth management technology to help improve the customer experience but which may slow down some file transfers.

2. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

But I bet they won't charge less to the people that don't user that much band width.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

good thing I live in NYC where TWC has to compete with Cablevision and now Verizon FIOS for customers.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Greedy bastards!

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This sucks. I'll probably switch to DSL.

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

So why does America's internet connections suck compared to other countries?

Would everyone going satellite help with congestion?

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

America already had a vast network of hardlined infrastructure in place compared to a lot of other countries. Almost all new technology in America has been built to piggy-back the existing infrastructure.

Other countries, with little or no infrastructure skipped old technology and went straight to newer better technology when they advanced.

That's why America is actually behind the curve on a lot of bandwith and wireless, among other things.

8. pirc1

I think Internet2 would help.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

temporary relief at best

If TW gets away with it, the other companies will follow.

Anyone leaving from a service that is imposing usage fees liek this needs to make sure they let the company know why they are leaving, adn let the company they are going to know why they are signing on.

The only way the consumer can stop this once it starts is to hit them in their pocketbooks.

I know one thing....if this happens around here...I will not be able to continue seeding videos...and as for your ratios on torrent sites? heh, good luck with that unless you are willing to pay (which you obviously arent since you are getting them from torrent sites)

a truely f'ed up situation all around.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this could be a very good thing. Obviously, not so much for people like BBS posters, who are probably above average in bandwidth use. They probably won't be offering a break to light users. But, once they break the flat-rate paradigm, other competitors will offer light users a price break on this model to steal market share.

11. AGBee

AGBee Member

Thing is, they don't care if the highest bandwidth users leave.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i would leave even though i'm a low bandwidth guy, because i know eventually it will hit me in the pocket somehow.

13. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

um, I'm not sure how familiar you are with satellite connections, but they suck ass

the latency (ping) on them is horrible...as in like worse than dial-up pings even, so you can't do online gaming with them at all

the only thing a satellite internet connection is good for is just downloading files, since they do have good speed bandwidth

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Where for art thou, FIOS? Save us from greedy bandwidth mongers!

Just fyi, the upper limit for cable is HUGE. I've seen speeds comparable with speeds available with FIOS now. This is just a bunch of posturing by the cable cos.

Anyone using DSL- how is the upload now?

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

16. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

BS! Instead of trying to improve the infrastructures, they are putting cap on the people who needs the Internet the most!

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

So we're going backwards now, then?

18. pirc1

Imagine the ads from the competitions.

19. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

here's a suggestion, get your fat ass off of the computer and get a life. ;)

20. demon77

demon77 Member

hmmm that suck.......change isp? o_O

My ISP SAID they would charge 2 dollar per gig over limit. But i go over limit by like 150+ gig, and i never get charged. But that b/c me and my friend all know my ISP don't have people monitoring the usage unlike gay CABLE ( i use ADSL).

When I was like having my pc on 24/7 and hosting a server, my total usage was aroung 250 gig a month, lol. and the limit its suppose to be like 40 gig or something like that back then.