1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to upgrade the server and get ready for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by canoner2002, Oct 22, 2003.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Just did my duty.

It's been way to long since I gave to the Tip Jar. I won't go this long again, Clutch!

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch. PayPal was easier than I thought:)

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i have a question. i do not have a credit card. and also no checks. so i would like to send cash. does anybody know if that is possible?

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's possible but not advised.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

arno,

can you get money orders?

sending cash in the mail is never a good idea..

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Open up a www.paypal.com account. They won't charge you if all you're doing is paying people.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I want to apologize for the late response here. After releasing ClutchFans, I was pretty sick (I think from staying up so late) and was pretty much in a coma for a few days, then had to pull off a big house move. I do want to thank everyone for their contributions and those who offered incentives as well for contributions. You have been a tremendous help.

As I mentioned before, from the time this thread was created to the time ClutchFans was released, the tip jar raised about $1400. Had it not been for this thread it would have raised $0 - $40 during that time frame.

I think this thread highlighted two big needs: 1) That the board needs money and 2) That many may not understand what this board is about nor how it's run. Some obviously thought they were at a big business or Rockets board, and I'm sure many others were making that mistake also. The FAQ on the new site hopefully spells out the situation clearly.

I currently pay for hosting for ClutchFans as well as the BBS, and the BBS is by far the most expensive. And when you think you have the costs under control, it just keeps growing and growing and growing. I think people have been posting about ClutchFans on some big Chinese boards and there is a huge influx of new members going on now.

Again, I want to thank those people who have contributed, but in the near future it won't be with just my words. I'm going to be acknowledging contributing members of the BBS in their profile. I think that's long overdue - they deserve the acknowledgement. Secondly, they will probably get features that others will not, such as edit posts, maybe private messaging, maybe search. In the distant future, if a new server again can't handle a much bigger load if the demand is there, then only contributing members will be able to access the board when usage is tremendously high (like at big news times, trade rumors or after games).

Hopefully the new server will be able to handle that load and that won't be an issue, but it's at that point now where it has to get shut down during peak times. Makes sense to keep it running for contributors rather than shut it down for all.

Thanks again to all of you who helped out ...

Clutch

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Thank you Clutch.