1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to upgrade the server and get ready for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by canoner2002, Oct 22, 2003.

1. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If Rox keeps playing like tonight, then the server is going down every game night. Time to upgrade and get ready, isn't it?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

How much money are you going to contribute to this new server???? ;)

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you gonna put up the 10.000 dollars it would require for a new dedicated server?

the link to the tip jar is in my sig...go for it.

otherwise..layoff.

this is not a company run site..it is run by a man with a family and a job. He does this cause he love the Rockets...not to keep a bunch of posters happy.

Server goes down sometimes...deal with it.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

BTW. Unless I am wrong, Its not like the server is crashing on its own. I believe Clutch shuts it down so that it wont crash on its own. Its usually for a very short period of time right after the game. I dont see what the big deal is about having to wait for 20 mins or so to post your thoughts.

Patience. :)

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.clutchcity.net/tipjar.cfm

canoner2002 - I don't expect people to contribute if they can't or simply don't want to. If they b**** about it and still don't contribute, I have no need for them. You're on the clock.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

ouch....

You have been warned. (just in case you are dense)

god, I wish my wife would hit a lotto.....:(

7. canoner2002

Hey take it easy. I wasn't b****ing on anyone and I didn't know the server was run by one person. Let me just watch the Yankee game and I will ...

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

......say the check is in the mail.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

10,000 bucks. Over 14,000 registered members.

I know it may go against Clutch's beliefs as far as this site is concerned, but I wouldn't be opposed to a one-time required 'registration donation' of a buck. I'm sure most users wouldn't mind it and it sure would help him out.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Holy crap...I didn't notice the game was still on! The Damn Yanks tied it all up?!

Noooo! man in scoring position for the Yanks, no outs, top of the 11th.

11. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I think the reason that's not possible is because it's illegal and would supposedly count as profit.

The NBA woudn't like it, even if it was like $1 per member.

It's a shame really.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think Mooch has a point...

Even if say 2000 of those members are either duplicate monikers or not around anymore...if only half of the remaining members would up with 5 bucks to the tipjar...Clutch might be able to get some new hardware and maybe pay for alittle of the bandwidth this place surely consumes.

Keep in mind people

Clutch pays for all this stuff out of his pocket. There is NO company behind him..just one little family man and the Crew to help him run this place.

Which reminds me...I actually have a couple of extra bucks...time to give a little back for all that I have taken over the years.

Who's with me?

13. canoner2002

Please edit my message title, moderator. I thought the site was somehow sponsored by Rox organization. Had I known the fact, I would start with "Time to contribute for a server upgrade, everyone". Yeah, that is the subject title I want to change to, Clutch.

The tipjar link should be made obvious on the front page of Clutchcity and within forums. If 1 out of every 20 registered users donate a cheapest game ticket money, it will help Clutch to upgrade the server.

14. canoner2002

A call with good cause. I am in.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I just went and did it...

Im not gonna say ho wmuch...but why dont you try to outdo this poor white boy...email with how much and Ill tell ya if you beat me. ;)

come on guys... Lets make Clutch have to go to the bank friday..

the new season is almost upon us, and this place is only gonna get busier...which means more bandwidth consumed..

Hell, just a little while ago when I cam on, there was over 300 posters on...

16. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

if everyone put in 5 bucks, it'd be done rather quickly

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

If you make it an event, and ask everyone to tip at that time (like the local radio stations), I bet you could accomplish much the same thing. A few simple, but nice prizes awarded by lottery could go a long way as well. (think draft lottery; say, $1 buys you a ping-pong ball :)

I'm not actually a fan of lotteries as ways of generating state revenue, but this is different. ;) And I'm getting way off topic.

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

The $10,000 is inaccurate.

You can get a great server and high capacity hosting setup for much less than that.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

it wasnt meant to be accurate...I was making a point.

and its not like we could get everyone to come up with that much anyway..but every little bit helps.

20. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

if everyone could donate a dollar there shouldnt be a problem