1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to Trade Shane Battier.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xhanif143x, May 3, 2008.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think its a dumb idea to trade Shane Battier unless someone like Artest or Magette is coming to town, which I don't see happening.

He's not supposed to be scorer or great rebounder....he's just supposed play defense and make hustle plays....he's not supposed to be a deal breaker for this team....he pretty much does what he is expected to do. In fact, I would make him untouchable #4 or 5 behind Scola, Yao, T-Mac, and Landry.

This team was just overmatched against Utah, and it's expected if you lose 22-25 ppg and 10-12 rebs and great inside presence on off/def....you can't expect to win important games. That's much of big loss to over come.

The Rockets don't need scorch earth their roster, they just missing that one player that can propel them to next level or healthy Yao Ming.

I say LEAVE Shane alone.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

on 39% shooting 25% on 3's

3. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

I agree which is why I think it would be absolutely pointless to trade away such a class act like Battier for a headcase like Ron Artest.

IMO John Salmons is a better defender than Ron Artest.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You have to look at it compared to his career averages. Wasnt like he was lighting up the league in the regular season.

He hasnt "elevated" his play in the posteason but for the most part with the Rockets (except rebounding), his postseason #s are close to his season averages. Not like those numbers are really good either but still...

5. Raven

Raven Member

I predict he'll be moved during the off season, and I'm perfectly OK with that.

6. MacFu

MacFu Member

I love Shane. But if Ron Artest is available and we refuse to trade Shane (even plus picks) for him, we deserve to be mediocre because of our own stubborness not to take chance on a player with baggage but who can also take us to the next level.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

From Battier's standpoint, Is Houston the best team for him?

I think the answer is NO.

Battier is a good wing defender, he can defend 2, 3 position very well. But, different from Bowen, he cannot defend the pg position. Unfortunately, most of WC playoff teams are built around a post presence + a good pg (except rockets, lakers). Except that the rockets play the lakers in playoffs, Battier will not be effective. In fact, I think he can give Kobe some trouble, but I don't think he can stop Kobe.

In contrast, a EC team will be better for him. Most of the EC playoff teams are built around a good wing player, such as James, Johnson, Iguodala, ... He will be more effective in a EC team.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Ron Artest is a pussycat compared to Mad Max who we had on the roster for our playoff run last time. He isn't even in the same league as Vernon Maxwell as far as being a headcase goes.

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

what if Head/battier for Outlaw/pryzbilla was on the table?

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

We cannot trade Battier to a WC team because he can defend Tmac well.

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

If we could bring in someone like Artest, while getting rid of Hayes, Head, Jackson, etc., then Shane will be a great six man.

12. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

steven jackson would fit this team so perfectly in battier's place it's unreal.

13. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

^
    |
    |
    |

even if he is his old 15 pt a game self

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Trade Battier? Oh, heck no.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Change Outlaw to Webster and done deal.

16. LoveRoxHateJazz

I wanted to trade Battier last night, but I realize he was injured, and with Yao back, we are a force to be reckoned with. If we can work a deal for Artest or Maggette with our pick, then go for it. If not, forget it. We are deep enough.

Yao/Hayes/Woods
    Scola/Landry/Harris
    Battier/Novak/Harris
    T-Mac/Head/Francis
    Rafer/Brooks/Jackson

9.5 Man Rotation. Stick with it the entire season and we will have that chemistry for the playoffs.

If we draft a backup center, cut Woods. If we draft a guard with size, I guess we still cut Woods.

17. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Or this:

Yao/Hayes/Woods
    Scola/Landry/Harris
    Artest or Maggette/Battier/Harris
    T-Mac/Francis
    Rafer/Brooks/some rookie PG

18. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

Trade Battier and Landry for Artest! don't know if Landry will ever be consistent!

19. TheMountainTop

Man You Guys are nuts.

I wouldnt trade Shane Battier.

Shane Battier is a model citizen and player. He is a leader, a mentor, he speaks well, he doest say stupid stuff, he is good on and off the court, he never gives up, and he always gives his best.

As his skills are concerned he can shoot the three, play very good team defense, as well as one on one defense, and he is really good at taking charges or altering shots. This guy is one of the NBA's premiere glue guys.

And If you guys are going to bring up trade scenarios be legit.

Ron Artest is a beast but also a nutcase. He is not a model citizen or leader. You never know when this wacko is just gonna go record an album or something.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FD796H08J7w&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FD796H08J7w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8QdTW5SNFA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8QdTW5SNFA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

20. ekim

ekim Member

Why trade away a defensive player of the year?

Battier is only making 6 mil next year... he is worth every penny IMO.