1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to Trade Shane Battier.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xhanif143x, May 3, 2008.

1. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

Shane Battier Sucked in the playoff like always. His scoring avg was 10 points a game. If you take out the 1st game. His scoring avg was 7.6 points. He plays great team defense but not a great rebounder for his size. He averaged 3.8 rebound in the series. Rockets lost game 6 because we didn't rebound the ball well. He's a libaility on offense and rebounding. He was going to be our third scoring option but he never did anything on offense but stand by the three point line. Jazz shut down the three point line from both corner. He became a liability on offense. We should try trading him in the offseason for a shooting guard and move t mac to small forward. I'm not trying to hate on shane battier. I like his hustle plays and effort on the court but It's not enough to win a playoff series in the west.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

as of now, he is tradeable. but only for upgrade. not for a draft pick right now. i would try to trade him for jason terry, maggate, artest, or miller.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bad idea. I'd be fine with trading him if we get a better player in return, but you're vastly under-rating his value to this team. You don't move him just to move him, as you're suggesting.

Battier played injured for the whole series and still played incredible defense and had a couple good offensive games. But beyond that, he's one of this teams leaders. Guys like Battier and Scola set the tone and level of intensity that this team plays with. And that intensity is why we can do things like win 22 straight games.

In short, if we have to include Battier to get a third star, you do it, but he's incredibly valuable to this team and should be moved for nothing less than a legitimate third star.

4. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

I would only trade Battier for Artest. If we get Miller, then guys like Kobe will rip Tmac apart.

5. resinsoft

resinsoft Member

if trading battier,it will be the worst trade every do.
    battier is the most hussel player in the team!
    why not to trade someone elses to get another SF!!!??

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

the thing about battier is that he is only valuable against certain teams. in the west he is only valuable against Lakers or spurs, guarding kobe or ginobli. Against any other team he is basically not very valuable due to matchups. Against the Jazz he was basically abused physically since he can't match up against bruisers.

He would be useless against the hornets, the suns, the mavericks, the nuggets, the warriors in the playoffs.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Battier for Artest or Miller would be fine with me...

I might even consider Travis Outlaw for him.

He is a nice comlimentary player, but we need someone that can take advantage of the double teams that Tmac and Yao create....and not just from the corner 3.

DD

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

forcing tmac to play defense might be better for him. i feel like he has better games when he's working on both ends because it gets him more involved. in either case, battier isn't untouchable but it'd have to be for a real star.

9. trugoy

trugoy Member

battier makes more sense for an eastern conference team, there are many more all-star guards/wing players he can match up with in the playoffs.

celtics-pierce/allen, pistons/rip, cleveland/bron, washington/butler, hawks/JJ, chicago/Deng, sixers/iggy.

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well we have to admin he wasn't healthly in playoffs and it was sure he was hurt especially in game 6.

But if we could get good, solid player like Artest, Miller I'd do that without any doubts.

I like Shane, I love his heart and effort but this team needs 3rd scorer.

11. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

I think battier would be a good player to move with a package deal and try to bring in a star to this team.

12. trugoy

trugoy Member

Outlaw + steve blake could be a possibility.

Artest is a pipe dream, battier is the last person they need. Memphis wants picks and expirings for miller.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Battier = Most Over-rated Rocket Ever Yes

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If you're going to propose a trade, do it based on the season and not one playoff series where he essentially played on one leg. And blaming Battier for the loss in this series when the Rockets played without their starting center for the entire series and were missing their starting point guard for half the series and while the star wing player was playing on a bum knee is absurd.

There's no reason to blow this team up unless you get a stupendous miracle deal and like it or not (I happen to like it) a big part of this team's identity is attributable to Battier.

15. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

We think battier is a Kobe stopper. Kobe averaged 33 points a game this season vs the rockets. 2006 he averaged 37.3 and 2005 he averaged 33 points a game. He plays good defense but he's not a kobe stopper.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Battier a lot, and he is adored by other team's GMs for a reason.

Which means that outside of Tmac and Yao he is our most tradeable commodity..

And he has a contract big enough to get us some real value.......

Also, I believe with him being on the all defensive team, this year his trade value may be at an all time high.

Time to really peer over that Hedge and Dangle a little Bobbleheaded Battier and see who bites and with what....

DD

17. trugoy

trugoy Member

agree, battier is pretty much our only tradeable commodity apart from our rookies, and their deals are not big enough without being part of a package.

18. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

QFT

Battier is very overrated... which is great for us because we should be able to get a good piece for him on the trade market...he has a high bball defense iq but he isnt athletic enough to shut down his man..

19. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

Post tenebras lux

He played very good in the regular season. Like I said he never played good in the playoff not this year but last year he didn't play good. He never played well with the Memphis in the playoff. I didn't say blow up this team but moving few pieces would be nice. We had all the players last year and battier was healthy . I got the playoff stats for battier. So your saying that battier played on one leg every playoff series.

CAREER PLAYOFF AVERAGES
    Year G FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
    03-04 4 0.400 0.429 0.667 1.5 1.5 3.0 0.3 0.0 0.2 4.8
    04-05 4 0.419 0.143 0.400 2.5 4.3 6.8 1.5 0.5 1.0 7.3
    05-06 4 0.500 0.286 0.333 1.8 4.0 5.8 0.5 1.0 0.5 6.0
    06-07 7 0.451 0.442 0.875 0.4 2.1 2.6 2.1 1.7 1.0 10.3
    07-08 6 0.444 0.480 0.727 1.2 2.7 3.8 0.5 1.0 0.8 10.0
    Career 0.444 0.416 0.639 1.3 2.8 4.1 1.1 1.0 0.8 8.2

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

I think he is plenty athletic, he can defend the ginobli's and kobe's of the world fine. his problem is that he can be muscled, look at this series with harpring basically mugging him on cuts, look at his rebounding dropoff in the playoffs throughout his career. basically he is a clean defender and in the playoffs, everyone gets a lot more dirty so his "clean" type of game is a lot less effective.