1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Green clearly cost us another game with his low bb iq yesterday. Not a prime time player. A decent player, but not a good fit for a defensive minded team.

Entropy likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

EL Oh EL

Snow Villiers, Plowman and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

Hard to swallow pill for JG fans. 99% of the franchise cornerstone players show the world what they are made of within the first 3 year of their NBA careers. It's super rare them to take that leap in their 4th season

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with @harold bingo that Ime is the key catalyst with ALL the young players on this team!

Having said that, not ALL players are viewed with the same optical lens nor should they!! We tanked for Jalen & Jabari not Sengun and Tari!! Being a second or third pick in any draft comes with high expectations and when those expectations are prolonged or unmet the fanbase has every right to question whether its prudent to keep hope alive!! At this point of Jalen's tenure with the Rockets (3rd year) it is crucial that they take a hard serious look at whether he's worth keeping, OR if he should be dealt while the potential/expectations are still high on him.

For those who of us who say give him a year with Ime before doing anything.... stop and think! That is double edge sword that can pay high dividends if Jalen excels or can tank his value if he doesn't excel! Like I said starting this post, I think Ime is one of the better coaches in the league, if he doesn't get growth from Jalen with his high pedigree status, what can you really expect another coach to get out of him? Silas really put us in a pickle because by now we shouldn't be debating if he is or isn't what we hoped we were getting with the second pick! :mad:

IMHO... we need to get the most value for the second pick!! Whether it's trading him or keeping him, I really don't have a preference....BUT WE HAVE TO GET THE MOST VALUE FROM THAT PICK!!!

Go Rockets!!!

Y2JT, Corrosion, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

People are too hung up on him being the #2 pick, expecting a "franchise cornerstone". Look at that draft, so far there is only one potential "cornerstone" player and he's on our roster with the 16th pick.

In an ideal world, the #2 pick should be the 2nd best player relative to the draft but no draft is perfect obviously, he's right now the 4th-5th best player from the draft which isn't some crazy bust.

That said, so far his potential does seem to be trending to supporting, secondary star player instead of a "cornerstone". But I'd be silly to trade him now unless you get someone with similar age/upside back given how young or "core" is.

I don't think the bolded is true. How was he further along? Lavine is a nice player and could be a #2/3 guy on a winning team IMO. If that's where we think Jalen is headed eventually I see no reason to trade him yet.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Hindsight is 20/20, but Scottie Barnes and Cam Thomas are both looking like guys this season too. Also I still believe in Cade but we didn't have the option of picking him.

Roomba likes this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Barnes is one of the guys that have been better than Green for sure. I must say I haven't watched him play yet this season, last two years when I watched him play he seemed like a very strong role player but if he made that leap this year then I'm mistaken.

Cam Thomas looks great coming out and we'll see if he sustains it. Remember Jalen had a stretch where he had 30 like eight straight games his rookie year so we'll see.

OremLK likes this.
  8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Agree on Barnes, he's really looking good this year, but I would disagree with you on Cam Thomas so far.

From what I've seen, Cam Thomas is the true definition of a one-dimensional scorer, even more so than Kevin Martin, or Jalen, if we're gonna make that comparison. Like, I really don't see him do anything but score (but he can really really really score)

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The next contract is key. If it's role player money, sign us up. Attempting a trade may be the only way to assess that value within the league.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he has much value in the trade market, so at this point you might as well hang on to him and hope he eventually improves enough to be a starter caliber player.... though I still think his long term role is more of an energy guy off the bench that might happen to be hot shooting the ball occasionally like a Gerald Green or maybe a Jordan Clarkson type.

There still no reason to trade him just to say you traded him.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And doesn't he know it.

Catch ball. Shoot ball.

Roomba and OremLK like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

There's another late first round Cam who seems to have the same attitude, and we did get that guy, to be fair...

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What you quoted is absolutely true:

[​IMG]

That's about a +30 game sample size for Lavine so it's possible that Jalen could match or eclipse Lavine's numbers, but just based on watching Jalen play I don't see it. Luckily, Jalen gets to the free throw line more than Lavine did (even though he shoots a worse percentage) because otherwise the efficiency wouldn't even be close.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Still too small a sample size for Green because his numbers fluctuate too much game to game. If you had checked after the Nuggets game I believe his WS/48 were about the same as Lavine's (that's the last time I checked his numbers). But yeah Lavine is slightly better as of now. But he also regressed his 4th year when he wasn't injured.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Green's role (and psychology) on this team is difficult to change, because of where he was drafted and also the feature role he was given in years 1 and 2. It's tough to modify that while remaining on the same team. Bringing in a new coach definitely helps, but I think a change of scenery is needed for Green to slot into the role that he's best suited for. That role is not as the headliner, but rather as a piece that contributes with scoring and perhaps even comes off the bench to lead the 2nd team. Vinny Johnson instant offense type of guy. If you put him in that role on this year's Rockets, then you get bruised ego's.

Rafa -- if you are reading this
    : Your legacy from the 2021 draft will be FINDING TRUE VALUE with Alperen Sengun. No one will remember that Jalen Green didn't perform to expectations -- it's not like he's a total bust. Cut your losses with Green now and trade him for something we can use! Don't double down on him -- will lead to regret later!

fattz, evo8lover and Plowman like this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think the issue here is expectations. The only way someone can disappoint you is if you expected more out of them than what they can or are willing to provide. Lavine, for me, is a step down of what I wanted out of Jalen being the number two pick and the hype he came in with. The high expectations that came with that are gone for me personally.

But I don't think they should give up on him just yet. He's in the prove it phase still.

charlieaustin likes this.
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that. I think also the reason people have such high expectations is that he was the first high draft pick we got in the tanking process. Jabari is showing some nice progress but he was the #3 pick (and almost #1) and his ceiling doesn't appear to be a top 20 player either. Yet not nearly as many people are complaining about him.

Look back at the history of #2 picks though. Jalen will likely be in the upper range of those players when it's all said and done. Cade has been even more of a disappointment than Jalen and if we had #1 we definitely would have picked Cade. Some people just need some perspective.

The idea of Jalen as an alpha scorer is great too. He can get his shot off anytime he wants and he clearly has the tools for stardom. So much so that even Zach Lowe wrote an entire column about it before the season started.

18. ExTexanNowEastCoast

I think it is time to ban idiotic threads like this one and the posters who write them.

See how that works?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. ExTexanNowEastCoast

It is so funny how you got people on here mad at JG4 when Brooks fouls out on two stupid unnecessary fouls, Sengun at the end of the game AGAIN make stupid fouls because he is either out of shape or just doesn’t have the athletic ability to play more than 30 min in a game. Heck our best player last night was Holiday! Our best lineup was Him, FVV, JG4, Eason and Smith. That lineup got us the lead.

Also, the Mavs have Luka and Kyrie. You know those guys are pretty good. In the end, those two took over and beat us. No one on our team is that good yet.

i3artow i3aller and eliefor3 like this.
  20. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

How could anyone in their right mind consider trading Jalen for Lavine?

Jalen is and will remain untouchable.

I wouldn't even consider trading Jalen even if Dallas offered Doncic and Irving together... His ceiling is an upgraded version of Doncic. Only problem is our fanbase isn't the most loyal.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.