1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Funny you bring this up...
    https://ballers.ph/features/monta-e...-stephen-curry-after-trade-from-golden-state/
    I don't know if people remember this but yeah, Curry really was never projected to be what he became. Was just seen as a really good shooter, that was about it. Turned out he and Ellis just weren't a great fit together, this is something Ellis himself said too at the time, that it wasn't a good fit but that he thought Curry would go on to be a great player.

Monta have it all did teach a thing or two to Curry though, so it wasn't all in vain.

Which is similar to FVV having to tell Jalen Green to be more aggressive in that Memphis game and whatever FVV told him woke him up.

This is going to be a real learning season for Jalen, its not just about getting his numbers, like before, now he has to learn how to get numbers that mean something, that contribute to winning, because even terrible teams have 'good' scorers. He now has to learn how to do that on what might be a team contending for a playoff spot.

So yeah, I'm really not for trading Jalen Green as of today (again, barring some can't miss deal) because I think he can be much better than he is right now. We really just have to get home Jalen to play on the road. Which as mentioned before, this isn't a skill issue. It's just some silly thing he has to get past like how the Astros for some reason couldn't play at home but were a different team on the road. This time it's just applying to Jalen.

I have faith he'll figure it out before the end of the season.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. Jags

Jags Member

Jalen’s career stats:

Year 1: 17ppg on 42/34/79 splits
    Year 2: 22ppg on 41/33/78 splits
    Year 3: 19ppg on 41/33/79 splits

Literally the same player from his rookie year. No improvement. Offseason with KD, Booker, etc., and still came back with no bag. No new skill or go-to signature move.

That’s always the tell. True stars come back every season with improved skills and go-to moves added to their toolbox. We saw this with Harden. We’re seeing it with Alpi’s midrange game and one-leg fade. What’s Jalen’s new skill?

By all-star break, it’s time to shift our priority over to Cam. Because at this point, this is the definition of insanity.

Y2JT, Little Bit and Entropy like this.
  3. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

Sure, if you glance at Jalen's stats without context, it might seem like he's treading water. But numbers never tell the whole story. Stats, especially scoring averages and shooting splits, can sometimes undersell a player's growth. Case in point: Kobe Bryant's stats in his early years didn't leap off the page like you'd expect from a future legend. But he kept refining his game, and the natural talent eventually blossomed big time.

Jalen, too, is more than his raw numbers. He's got serious game – the athleticism, the potential to explode any given night, and that raw talent that turns heads. While the shot splits indicate a plateau, the dude's been expanding his game in subtler ways. His shot selection is getting smarter, he's handling double-teams better, and defensively, he's showing more effort and better decision-making.

And about new skills? It's not always about flashy new moves. Sometimes it's about solidifying what you're already good at and becoming more consistent. Think of it like a musician. Not every album needs a new instrument, sometimes it's just about perfecting the sound. For Jalen, it's about mastering his current repertoire, not necessarily showing off a new trick.

Let's also remember that Alpi and Jalen have different roles. Sengun's midrange game and fadeaways are sweet, no doubt, but basketball's a symphony, not a solo act. Each player's development should complement the other. Jalen's speed and athleticism on the perimeter play well with Alpi’s game inside. Giving the rock to Jalen more means defenses stretch out, creating more room for everyone, including for Sengun's one-leg fades inside.

Transitioning to Cam over Jalen by all-star break? Might be a bit premature. It's not about who starts the race; it's about who finishes it. Jalen's got the engine to kick it up a notch when it counts, and we can’t lose faith in that.

The greats often take a bit to hit their stride, and it's about patience as much as it is about performance. Just because Jalen hasn’t showcased a flashy new move doesn’t mean he isn't improving or that he can't be a cornerstone for the team. Plus, basketball's mental as much as it is physical. Jalen's possibly brewing up the intangibles – leadership, composure, clutch mentality. Those don't show up on the stat sheet but they win games.

So, let’s give Jalen the ball, and let him show that the best is yet to come. Sometimes the improvement you're waiting for is just around the corner or, in basketball terms, the next season. Keep the faith!

Dobbizzle, Bo6, Amel and 1 other person like this.
  4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol he is only 21. His rebounding has improved. he is getting stronger every year. Only has to match his away play with his play at home.

Have patience.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He just has to get his shot to fall in away games. he is great at home

6. fattz

fattz Member

Most of this are my view, too. BUT has improved from last year; and he does belong in the NBA even on one of his “bad nights”.

I see this when we win or lose. He is a role player (heat check - 6th man). He is learning to play with in a team. There is growth but into what I don’t know. I do know he is currently not worth his rookie salary. —> to max him would be criminal. I don’t want to tap all the “potential” out because there would be anything to trade. I have seen enough to say “Thank you for your service and only the best to you”. This is not just a today thing.

Plowman likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

After last night, Jalen's statistical production on offense looks almost identical to last season, just with less usage (that's why the scoring is down a bit). It's eerie how close it is. I will say that I think his defense has improved dramatically, and I think that has been the primary focus for them to start the season because it was the biggest thing he needed to work on and Ime Udoka is a defensive-minded coach.

But yes, right now it is beginning to look worrying like, "what if he has hit a plateau as a scorer and this is just who he is".

That said--still just 21. Still only 15 games into the season.

If he doesn't show real improvement by the trade deadline, maybe you start to think a little harder about what you want to do with him. But the same problem remains--there's nobody available who is really worth trading him for at this moment in time.

Corrosion, Little Bit and cml750 like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Waiting on one of those random stats on Twitter to hit:

Jalen Geen is the first guard in NBA history to block both Luka and Kyre in the 4th Q of a close game while guarding them in isolation​

/s

Snow Villiers, maypk and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

With Amen Thompson and Cam Whitmore waiting in the wings, Jalen Green is expendable. Trade him while he's still seen as having upside... The team will get better when Thompson and Whitmore get Jalen Green's minutes.

fattz, Richie_Rich, Entropy and 2 others like this.
  10. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

Front Office have to thing about…When the day come, you would pay Sengun max contract. Jalen? I don’t think. So maybe other options like trading him before makes sense.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

jalen is still young. let's give him until he's 32 before we make any judgements and decide to trade him.

Snow Villiers and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Jalen will be fortunate to be a zach lavine level player. Id take that if he can get there but i doubt it. Yr 3 21 year old Lavine was further ahead than yr 3 21 year old Jalen.

Yeah Jalen is playing smarter. So is everyone else on the team due to having a real coach. But other than "just give it time" and "such and such took a while to develop" I dont see much to be encouraged about regarding the track he's on.

Even regarding some of the names that people bring up that "took a while to develop" they were further along at this point and/or never had seasons as bad as green has had.

NBA is littered with players who never reached their potential and I think Jalen is going to be added to that list. Doesnt mean he cant be useful. I just dont see him being a star player.

Entropy likes this.
  13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Its obvious that he's struggling with his role. His handles are bad, small hands, and his finish struggles under the basket.

I wouldnt cry if was traded tomorrow, but if he turns out better than what he has shown so far, I would be upset.

I kinda threw out the first 2 years under Silas, for everyone on the team and am willing to give them a chance under Ime.

Ime talks to Jalen during games the most. Obviously Ime cares about him and wants him to be better. We'll see how it plays out, but times ticking for Jalen

cml750 likes this.
  14. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

I promise that he will make significant progress by the year 5. I fail to comprehend why everyone is so impatient, given that he is only 21 years old. He had those flashes that convinced me a new superstar is on the horizon. (Sneakily better than Sengun now even)

Patience is indeed a virtue.

Dobbizzle and Jontro like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think Jalen is being challenged to play within a system more this year and that’s a drastic change from whatever in the hell Silas was running. He just seems like he is playing very tentatively offensively this year and while he is thinking about “the play”, he is slowing down and good defensive players are having success digging on his drives because his handle isn’t tight enough when he plays with pace like that.

Defensively I still see some low lights(he shouldn’t be beat badly off the dribble by any player) but I also see some nice recoveries and really nice defensive possessions against good players…most importantly, the effort is there most of the time this year. I just think he is struggling because he in particular needed better coaching the last two years while the org was busy tanking and he is only just now getting the coaching he needed all along.

I still think it’s not wise to give up on Jalen just yet but not because he has shown growth in year three but rather because the org did nothing for him the last few years. To Sengun’s credit he has continued to get better in the same period but Jalen clearly doesn’t have the same internal wiring or solid coaching around him outside of Silas that Alpi did.

i think ultimately you should see some progress from Jalen by the end of the year - but damn he hasn’t looked great this year so far. Still though, he is an asset that the org has to continue to try to build value in and hope it’s not too late and we wasted a pick on a player we never fed or watered to help him grow. At this point - it’s really an expensive organizational failure if we decide to cut loose of Jalen for pennies on the dollar and it’s pretty damning of Stone in particular.

slothy420, Amel and wolstein like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Trivia Time:

What Rocket, at age 26 after his 5th season when he posted:
    16 ppg
    40% FG%
    29% 3P%
    43% eFG%​

was the feature player in our trade for Tracy McGrady

“Patience is a Virtue”

17. Entropy

Entropy Member

The problem is that Stone's ego won't let us move away from Green because Green is his #2 pick. He never would've went away from KPJ if KPJ hadn't imploded with his horrendous off the court actions. So Amen and Whitmore are going to just collect dust while Stone tries to polish Green and salvage his pick. I still say give him a year under Ime, but let's just say I'm not optimistic about him. I expect a lot more games where he posts a .30 FG% in a loss.

#77 Entropy, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  18. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

Sengun has no chance of receiving a max contract since it is already reserved for Jalen. This is clearly a team built on Jalen, and Stone will confirm that by season finale. Jalen has a star quality that nobody else on the team has.

Continue to shine, Jalen, and make those you detest envious.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

One thing is for certain ti me and that's that Jalen Green is not "him". Deferring to Holiday when Jalen had a wide open 3 cemented it for me. He is afraid of the big moments and does not naturally have that dog in him. Not sure about trading him though because who are you going to get? Plus there is still a lot of talent there to be unlocked but does Jalen have the right work ethic to get there (as in working on his biggest weaknesses).

Alpi has it and Bari wants those end of game shots. Not worried about those two

fattz and NewAge like this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

is that a Russian bot? why are they on Clutchfans? test run for the 2024 elections?

Corrosion likes this.