1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time To Quit Acting Like A Robot Yao.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

If you are a Houston Rocket fan, you would never say this.

The only way you say this is you have a emotional investment in a player for personal reasons, which in this case I think are race and culuture related reasons. and that goes for a lot of chinese posters on this board. some are objective and critical, but the one's who post the most, repeating things like the quote above, are not.

2. Texas Stoke

We criticize Yao Ming because we are dissapointed with a player on our favorite basketball team.

And some on here are over critical of him because Yao hurts their pride because they are chinese.

Or you want him to go to LA where he will progress as a chinese baskeball player because you have this emotional investment in him as a chinese fan.

I'm not saying its wrong or right. Thats just the way it is.

But you have to understand I'm not dissapointed in Yao as a chinese man,(maybe I would be if I was chinese man who didn't follow the team until Yao was drafted)but I am dissapointed in him at times as Houston Rocket player.

You see, so I am allowed to be an objective fan, and hold him accountable for his actions on the court.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

This isn't the first time people have complained about your attitudes. If you replace the word "Chinese" with "black" or "hispanic" in some your posts, you would be shocked by how potentially offensive some of your comments are.

"The people who disagree with me on ESPN are all black and don't really know anything about basketball and their culture is all about hip-hop, etc."

4. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

it's common sense of the human natural nothing to do with race or culture, if you feel your man wasn't treated fair and no future in this organization, wish him get out of it and move on, anything wrong with it? You could be die hard rockets fan for your life, that's your choice, but most of people like switch from teams to teams following their favorate stars.

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Should prob let this thread die, but let's clear up some things.

Just mentioning race does means one is a racist, but stereotyping a race could be. I don't know daddy, so I don't know how carefully he words his posts. I brought it to his attention to remedy the situation if it was not what he intended to say. Seems to me he clarified his intent in this context.

As for the label 'Yao hater', it's time to discriminate.

All coaches and players have weaknesses. Just because someone criticizes a player does not by itself make one a 'hater' because constructive criticism is required to highlight's one's weaknesses.

It's objective, but if someone starts a thread a says that Yao should be traded w/o discussing why they feel he won't become one of the most dominant forces in the league, then I would label that person a Yao-hater and the post is worthless. If someone mentions real weaknesses of Yao's that he could improve upon, even if he adds a little post-loss stress to the post, I wouldn't immediately label him a Yao-hater.

I'm sick of all of the negativity too, but let's not crush real attempts to discuss valid areas for improvement. Similarly, let's keep perspective and recognize the impact the player is already having on the game and their improvements. If you can show perspective when posting (i.e. 'Yao finally wrestled the ball free during a scrum'), I think people would be less quick to apply the label Yao-hater.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, may be if Yao demanded more respect from defenders by dominating inside, T-Mac would be able to shoot a better percentage. But since he was the sole reason we won at least 10 out of the 16 games so far this season by taking over games when it counts, I would say that shooting 42% or whatever his percentage is is darn good enough. I would urge you to look at Kobe's (who is generally seen as the best guard in the league) numbers and percentages and make a comparison to T-Mac's, I think last night's game showed how T-Mac was able to pass the ball and get the Rockets back to life to compete in the game, sadly though it was a bit too late.

SF a leader?!!:confused: You have GOT to be KIDDING!!! Did we so soon forget the SuperBowl incident? SF did play with heart, but as I said, T-Mac's seemingly 60% effort is still far superior to SF's 110%, the level of talent and natural instinct T-Mac has, as well as his IQ, cannot be honestly compared to SF. SF was a great guy and I loved him, but I would make the trade 1000 times over and over again, but this time probably hold on to Cato and trade Mo T instead with that package, we would have been an incredibly different team this year if that happened. But you are right, T-Mac has not taken the leadership role for the team yet, no did Steve ever do so either, he thought he did but he forgot that leadership is not by opening your mouth and being arrogant and showing your "manhood", but rather by your actions on (and most importantly off) the court. Even Mobely was seemingly dismayed by SF's actions and attitude towards the coach last year, but it is understandable given his huge ego. Given that, I still loved the guy and enjoyed him while he was here. But it is safe to argue I think that both SF and TMac haven't shown leadership in their tenures with the Rockets.

I am sorry, but I still think there is no way anyone can compare SF to T-Mac head-to-head and say SF is better with a straight face, but you might be an exception...

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

... and SF's history. Why keep talking about him? How does that help this team?

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

He brought it up, but you are absolutely right, it does not help the team. The problem is many people on this board are unable to get over our previous players. I would love Olajuwon back too, but I know better. I have addressed this in the past and said that this team has a bright future and a strong foundation upon which we can build a championship-caliber team, but patience will be required because it will take a few years to get there. Unfortunately, patience is a virtue most Rockets fans don't possess. I do think that useless comparisons and nostolagia for players we don't have anymore should stop, but many people still are living in the past, it is just a fact.

--Tiger

9. Daddy

Daddy Member

what do you mean this isnt the first time people have complained about your attitudes?? see, that sentence in itself suggests that i am all over this board talking about chinese people in a racially motivated way?? why say this?? why continue this thread?? did you feel we could get by without your 2 cents?? does that sentnece incinuate that black people dont know anything about basketball because of their skin color?? if not, what does it matter. if you take it that way, then that is YOUR problem.

thursday i said that yao is humble and displayed humility on the court because the chinese culture is like that, and someone had to actually change the topic to say "so are you saying that all chinese people are humble and show humility?? why are you generalizing races??"

yesterday i commented that most of the posters that started rumors on espn.com were chinese and didnt know anything about basketball. YOU all assumed that i was lying about them all being chinese, or that they dont know basketball. YOU incinuated that i was speaking for the general chinese public.

so the problem here is obviously YOU and all your racially sensative friends who police this board for any instance where someone mentions that race or culture makes us different in any way. you cant please everyone, so maybe some of you ought to look at yourselves and wonder why you are so sensative and feel the need to pass on your sensitivity to others. its the physical equivilent of crying because of being patted on the arm.

lets let this thread that was absolutly destroyed by a race debate to finally die. if you have another question about my intentions that werent cleared up in one of the 15 posts i made concerning the subject, go grow some balls and ask yourself why you are so sensitive when women are supposed to be the sensitive ones. and then you can start a thread on how i called a woman a woman, and incinuated that all female of the species is "sensitive".

10. dback816

dback816 Member

if hes playing in a system that utilizes him well and he feels comfortable, that intensity will come.

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I'm not saying you are a Yao hater, but can you explain why you have started all threads about Yao under performing? I don't recall any thread from you talking about TMac's passiveness, his terrible shooting percentage, etc. Isn't TMac more talented, the established star already, a supposed top 5 player? Do you know how many times hewent to the line last night? ZERO, nada, nothing! Of course, you don't know, or just don't care. It's all Yao's fault, the 3rd year guy who is still struggling to figure out what his coach want him to do.

Just come straight out, say you are a hater. We got plenty here already.

#71 daoshi, Jan 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  12. Daddy

Daddy Member

how do we know. what has given us that idea?? have we ever seen yao play better in any nba system?? hes had 2. if what we need is to see him play with his face to the basket, we could probably get illgauskus and drew gooden for him, and then we could be even better. but i think we use yao the way we use him because its best for him and the team to learn how to play that way. we dont need a 7'6 jump shooter, we need a 7'6 unstoppable post player who tries to dominate because he IS physically bigger and stronger than everyone else, and he has the abiliity to be that player, not the mentality.

13. Daddy

Daddy Member

because i am waiting to see yao feel the need to dominate a game. i am waiting to see yao feel the need to take over a game. if i didnt think he was good enough right now, then i would expect 19-9. but i dont because i think he is the best combination of size, skill and power that the nba has seen in this era. because i hold him in such high reguards, i expect more from him. he doesnt underperform because he isnt good enough, he under performs because he doesnt have the mentality. so it is HIM that doesnt untilize himself correctly.

i could, and have sat here and talked about what this team needs. and obviously game to game we still see the same players going out there every night. but the one thing i can look forward to every game, is the hope that the one player who has so much more to give then he has begun to tap into, will show rocket fans what we have been waiting to see by simply playing like he wants to take over a game.

do you know what most experts and fans say about yao ming?? they say "i dont know if yao will ever possess the mentality to dominate the game". look at what they are saying. they arent saying "yao cant dominate because he isnt as good as everyone hoped", they are basically saying "he could dominate the game if he wanted to, but we dont know if he will ever want to". did you notice that they arent using the word "solid player", but the word "DOMINATE"?? do you realize who the players are that have dominated the game?? do you know how dissappointing it is for fans to know that the difference between solid and DOMINANT is between your ears??

i think people would be dissappointed with you if they felt that you had one of the greatest musical gifts they had ever seen, but you didnt utilize it properly. we saw what yao can do when he utilizes himself properly that night in la against shaq last year. i havent seen a player play like that in EVERY aspect of the game against the best player in the nba since hakeem ruined david robinsons career in 95.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

But you came out like a hater, instead of someone wants to see him be successful.

I have been one of the biggest Yao critics on this board, but I don't trash the guy after a bad game. I don't expect the guy to be more athletic, dunk over people because I know he is not that kind of player. You cannot force Yao to be someone he really isn't.

You can say all you want about how "great players will themselves to success", but the fact remains that Yao is different from all the examples you mentioned, he is not one of them. If the Rockets really think he is the frachise, they should try to talor everything around him to help him grow, not hire a negative coach who would destroy any players confidence. Just look at Steve Francis, the guy was a very cocky player, but one year under JVG, he didn't know if he could play in this league anymore.

15. brush

brush Contributing Member

Agree. I don't think Daddy is a Yao hater, instead he thinks Yao can be a great player. Only Yao as a teamleader could lift the team from medicority

This season is tanking, but T-Mac can only do that much, JVG will not change, our supporting cast will not have a great upgrade, and Yao ...?

Yes, only Yao is the X-factor. Yao can turn everything around, if he shows his desire with the same fire as in Olympic games. We need Yao comes to play every day, not just while playing Shaq. Show some respect to other centers, and play hard against them. If he always looks down to them, Yao will be screwed as we have constantly seen in the past two years.

If he wants to be a good guy in the game, Yao needs to show it all in the game, Respcet his opponent by playing hard and defeating them, not by being abused.

#75 brush, Jan 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  16. langal

If you generalized the same way about blacks or Hispanics that you do of Chinese, your comments would be deemed by many to be offensive.

I just pointed out that your comments about Chinese people may offend some. That's all. You're the one who replied with this diatribe about me growing balls or whatever.

I happen to be Chinese so my ears do prick up when some white guy starts pontificating about my culture and people.

17. Daddy

Daddy Member

how do i come out like a hater?? i dont say yao sucks. i dont suggest trading him. i dont say that he is a bust. i dont say that he only has rik smits potential. i dont compare him to shawn bradley, i dont say that our center is a joke, i dont say that he is the reason the rockets lose, i dont say anything that suggests that i hate yao in any way. the things i say are dissapointments in the form of criticisms that are not undeserving, not in any way that could logically be compared to hate. and none of it could be considered trashing. i think yao goes through the game very robotic because he just does what he thinks he should do. i think that he doesnt have the mentality he should have to utilize himself properly and i discuss these things because i feel he is the key to the rockets future. not jon barry going 1-7.

untill yesterday when a grudge holding ex-espn poster recognized me and called me the #1 yao hater, nobody had gotten that impression in any of my posts on this forum. and they are no different than what i have posted on espn.com. they use that term as a crutch to discredit a criticism.

steve francis never really doubted his ability because he had too much pride. he still had the mentality that he wanted to come out and dominate and embarras his opponant. but he doubted if he could succed with jvg, because he had evidence that he was capable of doing more. does a negative coach hinder yao?? that is a possibility, but it is only an opinion. there is no factual evidence that yao could do better and help a team win more.

18. Daddy

Daddy Member

no, i generalized and clearly said "CHINESE posters on ESPN.COM", and YOU decided that i was making a generalization about chinese people, or that i was lying about the majority being chinese when you dont know if it was truthfull or not.

if i were to hear about a group of people who robbed a store, and said that "those black guys need to be put in jail", without knowing they were black, then i would be pontificating about black people. if i knew that they were black, i would be simply making a statement, and only racially sensitive people who try to turn something out of nothing would try and make it into something else, and that is THEIR problem. there is a difference between right and wrong, and just because you are sensative about something doesnt mean its wrong. and if its not wrong, then there is no reason to imply othewise.

the only thing i said about he chinese culture was that my opinion was that it was a culture of humility and humblness and that it might be the reason yao is not aggressive. if i was wrong, all anybody should say is "that is not right, it is actually _____", not to make a big deal of it and start a problem.

19. Texas Stoke

Yes it has everything to do with race and culture. Every chinese fan here that is fan of Yao Ming, they are such big fans of Yao Ming because he is chinese, or asian. So what you get with that is something that runs deeper and thats where the sensitivity issue comes into play. See I could sit here and talk about Yao's games and a chinese fella sees it as is a white man criticizing their guy and then all kinds of ridiculous labels are put on you. Thats why things get so damn mixed up around here.. because you never know anybodys intentions. But after a while you can feel whats really going on with this guy or that guy.

20. langal

Whatever man. Can you see how something like "those black posters on ESPN.COM all like Tiger Woods but don't know anything about golf and post there because it's free" may be deemed offensive by some?

Or "black people are taught to be humble, etc."

Yes people are overly sensitive sometimes. You included. Me too probably. I was merely pointing out that what you say can sometimes be found offensive by people (not necessarily me). You came back with the diatribe about me needing to "grow some balls".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.