1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time Magazine Person of the Year goes to:

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by whag00, Dec 16, 2006.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

YOU

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1569514,00.html

Person of the Year: You
    Yes, you. You control the Information Age. Welcome to your world.
    By LEV GROSSMAN

The "Great Man" theory of history is usually attributed to the Scottish philosopher Thomas Carlyle, who wrote that "the history of the world is but the biography of great men." He believed that it is the few, the powerful and the famous who shape our collective destiny as a species. That theory took a serious beating this year.

To be sure, there are individuals we could blame for the many painful and disturbing things that happened in 2006. The conflict in Iraq only got bloodier and more entrenched. A vicious skirmish erupted between Israel and Lebanon. A war dragged on in Sudan. A tin-pot dictator in North Korea got the Bomb, and the President of Iran wants to go nuclear too. Meanwhile nobody fixed global warming, and Sony didn't make enough PlayStation3s.

But look at 2006 through a different lens and you'll see another story, one that isn't about conflict or great men. It's a story about community and collaboration on a scale never seen before. It's about the cosmic compendium of knowledge Wikipedia and the million-channel people's network YouTube and the online metropolis MySpace. It's about the many wresting power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world, but also change the way the world changes.

The tool that makes this possible is the World Wide Web. Not the Web that Tim Berners-Lee hacked together (15 years ago, according to Wikipedia) as a way for scientists to share research. It's not even the overhyped dotcom Web of the late 1990s. The new Web is a very different thing. It's a tool for bringing together the small contributions of millions of people and making them matter. Silicon Valley consultants call it Web 2.0, as if it were a new version of some old software. But it's really a revolution.

And we are so ready for it. We're ready to balance our diet of predigested news with raw feeds from Baghdad and Boston and Beijing. You can learn more about how Americans live just by looking at the backgrounds of YouTube videos—those rumpled bedrooms and toy-strewn basement rec rooms—than you could from 1,000 hours of network television.

And we didn't just watch, we also worked. Like crazy. We made Facebook profiles and Second Life avatars and reviewed books at Amazon and recorded podcasts. We blogged about our candidates losing and wrote songs about getting dumped. We camcordered bombing runs and built open-source software.

America loves its solitary geniuses—its Einsteins, its Edisons, its Jobses—but those lonely dreamers may have to learn to play with others. Car companies are running open design contests. Reuters is carrying blog postings alongside its regular news feed. Microsoft is working overtime to fend off user-created Linux. We're looking at an explosion of productivity and innovation, and it's just getting started, as millions of minds that would otherwise have drowned in obscurity get backhauled into the global intellectual economy.

Who are these people? Seriously, who actually sits down after a long day at work and says, I'm not going to watch Lost tonight. I'm going to turn on my computer and make a movie starring my pet iguana? I'm going to mash up 50 Cent's vocals with Queen's instrumentals? I'm going to blog about my state of mind or the state of the nation or the steak-frites at the new bistro down the street? Who has that time and that energy and that passion?

The answer is, you do...

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What a lame cop out used to peddle more issues.

I would've prefered Al Gore, internet creator and global warming crusader extraordinaire .

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I knew it was my year:)

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Now gimme my million bucks.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm a genius.

6. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

"But look at 2006 through a different lens and you'll see another story, one that isn't about conflict or great men. It's a story about community and collaboration on a scale never seen before."

Right, like this only happened in 2006 :rolleyes: They should take back all the Person of the Year titles they've handed out over the years and return them to their rightful owner: "You", aka ME. I accept cheques.

7. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

I'm honest enough to admit I was underqualified for this award.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rosie O'Donnell snubbed again

9. Astro101

Astro101 Member

It's about TIME! LOL get it

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

time is 100% correct imo.

youtube/google vid (watching the millions of people that watch you), myspace (social networking), and even determining script of mutlimillion budget flicks ("snakes on a plane" and xmen 3 with "i'm the juggernaut, beeyotch" line).

we the people pw3n this mf'er.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ed, you sounded like dirty harry just then.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is something I can put on my resume

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL!! :D

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Finally!

I work hard this year, to receive this award, I never have win anything.

I want to thank you all for all the support.

:cool: :D ;)

15. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

well its "person of the year" , not "hypocritical fat ugly unfunny biotch of the year".

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think the award was meant for Americans only. Maybe next year! :D

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Oh what a shame :(

LOL

18. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

You misspelled my name..

Sincerely,

Yao Ming

19. rocketsinsider

Wow this year must have really sucked lol :D

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

now no one can say i never did anything with my life. TIME person of the year mother****ers!